Thread: How do YOU administer a spanking?

Question How do YOU administer a spanking?

I relatively quite new here, but there is something I have noticed when I read through the forums here.
    I know there are already other posts here that discuss whether spanking is good or not, but my question is different and is aimed towards those who do spank. So please don't turn this into a discussion about that
    Many times I have heard moms referring to "a spanking" here and there, but when you read between the lines, I find out that 'spanking' consitutes for quite different things in different peoples houses. For some, it means a small swat on the hiney, and vice versa for some it means going over a lap and using an implement to swat kids bottoms.
    I want to ask this question: what does "a spanking" in your house constitute?
    In my house, first and foremost 'a spanking' means 'bare bottom.' I will pick them up , pull down pants and put her over my knee. I spank around 3 or 4 times 'not very hard', only with my bare palm (not a spoon etc).
    After I spank, we will hug and make up, of course.
    Can you define what a spanking constitutes with your kids, if you do spank? (do you take down pants, put them over your lap or whatever...)
    I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Jennifer
    Mom to 2 blessings :p
    Sarah-Louise, 09/09/2000 and Becca 03/07/2003

I live in Western NY area (around Buffalo, NY)
    We spank a few different ways. First on the hands if it is minor and related to what our 2 yr old is doing with her hands. Second is on the back thigh, just enough to sting. I must say that many times I have to tell my husband to do it harder because if she smiles through it it's not doing it's job. After a correction we give short specific reason why she got a correction, pray, and hugs and kisses.

Our latest challenge (or mine) is that my husband has a problem with the words that come out of his mouth and my daughter is repeatingsome of the words he says. He doesn't believe me but I can tell by the look on her face she knows it is not ok so I am trying to find a creative way to correct this. After all out of the depths of the heart the mouth speaks.

A little while back someone cautioned us all regarding the subject of spanking ("A Spanking Question" - "Karenl81" - 2/6/06 - http://www.christianmom.com/forums/s...t=1345&page=2)... she reminded us that although our conversations on the subject are meant to educate and support one another, there are many people who scourge the internet looking for any reference for spankings and use those images in sin. Since the issue of spanking has been heavily discussed on this site, prehaps any further discussion can be shelved and interested parties can review the extensive threads that already exist.

Jennifer, I do not mean in any way to denounce you for asking the question... I think it is a very valid question and one that I myself wonder about. But, there have been a lot of spanking threads that refer extensively to issues of form and practice so you might be able to find the answer to your question by reading through there.

Finally, I'm not the boss around here so my echoing someone else's words from several months back shouldn't be taken as a royal edict.

Laurie
    Last edited by naejeirual; 05-16-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Naejeirual, thanks for your opinion, but truthfully I can't think of anyone who would be able to put a thread about spanking kids into the 'wrong context'!
    As I am new here, I do not know what previous experiences you guys might have had, but all I can say is that you shouldn't shy away from doing or discussing anything, simply becuase you're worried of a what a tiny minority might think.
    So i hope we can carry on discussing this legitimate issue. Thanks
    Jennifer
    Mom to 2 blessings :p
    Sarah-Louise, 09/09/2000 and Becca 03/07/2003

Jenniferl,

The bible says this.

Pr 22:15 - Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Pr 23:13 - Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Pr 29:15 - The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

difined as - rod, staff, branch, offshoot, club, sceptre, tribe

word orgin; Tbx - from an unused root probably meaning to branch off

ref: The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon
    abc

Jennifer:
    I have three daughters 2,9 and 12. My husband and I have only spanked our 2 year old once and have spanked our other two when they repeatedly disobey the same rule. We NEVER use anything other than our hands. In fact I think where I live that its illegal. I usually make her go to her room first and think about her punishment for a few minutes and then talk to her. I've also just have stopped what is happenning, usually fighting, and punish her on the spot. I have her to pull down her pants then and ask her why she is being punished. Over my lap and never more than five times. Afterwards I always hug her.

I think it works but I hesitate doing it. Its not pleasant for any of us, the other two get upset if their sibling is spanked in front of them.

In my house spanking consists of the child being told what he or she did wrong, then being put over the knee,then being spanked. The parents are always sure not to hurt the child and always to do it in privacy.

I spanked depending on the "offending" body part. If my son would continue touching things he shouldn't, I would spank his hand. If he talked back or bit, I would spank his mouth. I spanked his behind when he purposely disobeyed, or when other consequences seemed to have no bearing. I bent him over my knee, but I never felt the need to bare his bottom or use anything other than my hand. Now that he's 10, pulling him over my knee is out of the question (he's less than a foot shorter than me now!) but I still "pop" him in the moth if he needs it. Since we are reaching the adolescent years, my son is getting a little more trying, and recently my new husband and I decided to inform him that if losing priveleges was not enough to help him make better decisions, we would go back to spanking. Not sure exactly how we will administer this, but luckily he took us seriously and we haven't had to enforce our new decision!

I have two daughters Lauren 14 years old,and Sharon 10 years old.
    I do, give out spanking's to both girl's. For Lauren breaking curfew will result in her being spank-bare bottom- with my open hand. For Sharon being sassy,not cleaning her room,not completing her homework,... ect. Will result in her being spank-bare bottom-with my open hand.

Lauren:I have used a ping-pong paddle on her bare bottom for lying.

Only for serious offenses. Normal offenses are dealt with by time outs and loss of fun.
    For real crimes- ie, stealing, vandalizing, bullying other kids, being cruel to others on purpose, and so on, the rule
    is-one lick for every year of age, bare bottom, lying on the tummy, willow switch or wiffle ball bat.
    Depending on the level on contrition and repentence,
    there will be grounding or a second spanking after the bottom is healed completely from the first.
    I do not consider this abuse, because my stepfather would whip me with a whip.