Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paddling in Schools

Quote Originally Posted by heathbar
    this scripture is referring to taxes and money paid to the Roman empire not spanking.
    if you read it with natural eyes, yes, but with spiritual eyes it goes pas tax money.
    abc

again because i am againist paddling in schools or at all does not under any circumstances mean I don't serve God, and for you to make that assumption is quite judgemental, Matthew 7 Judge not lest ye be Judged. So do not judge me you don't know anything about me. yes I am againist spanking so what. Why is it so difficult to take a second and think or reflect on the fact that just maybe something I am saying might be true. Out of all of the things in the bible that are no longer practiced why are you so adiment about spanking why does that still have to be practiced. The bible is full of things that we don't practice anymore. I could easily say you only have one spouse whom do you serve God or man the people in the old testament had numerous spouses generally men having many wives. Men also had concubines, you could kill your neighbor for taking your land if these are all in the bible and we choose to follow the word of God then who are we not to continue to obey these even if the courts and laws say not to.
    heathbar, it is your choice.
    abc

Out of all of the things in the bible that are no longer practiced why are you so adiment about spanking why does that still have to be practiced. The bible is full of things that we don't practice anymore. I could easily say you only have one spouse whom do you serve God or man the people in the old testament had numerous spouses generally men having many wives.
    Well, many of us perceive a value in spanking that we don't percieve in those other things, is the simplest way to put it. But we can't force you to see it our way and don't want to. My primary reason for being pro-spanking is that it is how I was raised and I am happy with it. I would be pro-spanking whether I was a Christian or not. I suspect you would be anti-spanking whether you were Christian or not. We're all conditioned in some way by our early experiences and how we react to them.

Paddling in Schools

School starts next week and my daugters attend a private school that allows paddling. We must sign a corporal punishment agreement form at the beginning of each year. I have signed the form in the past, my daughters of course have asked me to not sign the form. I support paddling and use this form of correction at home. What are your thoughts of paddling and do you have experiences with this form of discipline?

I guess I am appalled that parents would allow someone else to spank their child. What if they do it too hard and cause damage? there are known cases where school officials have caused damage to children by spanking them. Even if I was for spanking hell would freeze over before I let another adult lay a hand on my children, if our private school used corporal punishment and one of my kids got into trouble well there is this thing called the telephone
    Heather

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anais Nin~

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr Seuss~

I agree with heathbar. I think corporal punishment should not be used in the school setting. There are other consequences that could be used instead. I think you should listen to your children and not sign the consent form. If there is a problem at school they think deserves a spanking then they can call you.

I should probably stay away from this post, because i am going through a lot right now and feeling emotional. I am saddened by this thread, I really am there are so many alternatives to spanking. It takes far more work not to spank then it does to spank and for schools to do it is even worse
    Heather

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anais Nin~

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr Seuss~

My kids are all in public school for now. I read the policy for my church which also runs a Christian school, and they do not administer corporal punishment, but it is encouraged in the home.

It saddens me to think that this post was brought up again. This fight has already been fought. Most people have already given their opinions on it. We have been warned about spanking topics here already. Looking though the last 3 pages, I see that there were some very good points made for both sides. Let's let this drop. I would love to see Mary Mom 3 close this thread to any further conversation.

I care about you all, I hate to see us re-hashing old arguments.
    Cheri

But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by TwinCrier View Post
    My kids are all in public school for now. I read the policy for my church which also runs a Christian school, and they do not administer corporal punishment, but it is encouraged in the home.
    I know of some Christian schools that call the parent in to administer the spanking if one is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mypreemiesmom View Post
    It saddens me to think that this post was brought up again. This fight has already been fought. Most people have already given their opinions on it. We have been warned about spanking topics here already. Looking though the last 3 pages, I see that there were some very good points made for both sides. Let's let this drop. I would love to see Mary Mom 3 close this thread to any further conversation.

I care about you all, I hate to see us re-hashing old arguments.

I think it is ok to discuss this again as long as we are all mature about it and respect each others decisions, I admit that no one here will change my views on spanking I am againist it in every way shape and form, and there are others here that spank their kids and I probably won't change your minds either. If someone is getting too upset over this discussion than take a break, it's ok to disagree as long as we maintain our emotions
    Heather

My daughter attends a Christian school that is run by our family Church. Each year I have had to sign a permission form for school paddling. My daughter has been attending the school since kindergarten and has never had to be paddled. She is in third grade now. Last Thursday, her teacher called me and advised that Cheyenne and two of her friends had drawn pictures on their desks with colored markers. I was told I would have to pay to have my daughter's desk sanded and refinished which I did not have a problem with. I was also told that the behavior merited a paddling. I am not against spanking, but I was uneasy about it. The teacher explained that Cheyenne and the other two girls would be sent to the Pastor's office during morning recess on Friday, so that he could administer the spankings. Since it was our Pastor that I know is a good man who is ordained to minister to us by the Holy Spirit, I felt better about the punishment. I talked to my daughter and scolded her for her behavior. I did not spank her because I knew the school was going to do it. I explained that she broke the rules and now was going to be paddled by our Pastor as a consequence. I felt better after talking to my daughter and she understood that she had earned a spanking. When I picked her up from school on Friday I asked her about her spanking. She told me that the Pastor made the girls pull down their skirts and panties and then placed them one at a time over his knee and hand spanked them for a long time. She said she was spanked last. She and her friend had to stand half naked in the corner until it was their turn. When it was her turn he placed her over his knee and hand spanked her until she was sobbing. She said it hurt a lot. Then he had each girl bend over his desk and gave 10 paddle swats to each of them. She said it hurt to sit all day and that she was still very sore. She told me that the Pastor's secretary was in the room the entire time as a witness. When I gave her a bath that night, I could see the paddle stripes on her bottom and I could see that her bottom was still very red. In fact the redness did not completely go away for about four days. On Sunday at church, the Pastor approached me. He knew that my husband is serving in Iraq right now, so he said that if Cheyenne needs further discipline, I am welcome to call on him any time. He even asked my daughter if it still hurt to sit down. She nodded. I could tell she was very scared of him. I don't know what to think. In my heart, I feel the punishment was too much. Also, I am uncomfortable with the fact that my child was punished bare bottom by a man other than her father. He is our Pastor whom my family loves and respects. We have witnessed him speaking in tongues and laying hands on people so that the Holy Spirit can be placed into their hearts. He has healed our friends and loved ones by laying hands on them and anointing them. I personally have felt the presence of the Lord when he has laid hands on me. I spoke to the mothers of the other two girls and they said that the bible encourages spanking children. They did not have a problem with it. In fact, they both said their girls got hairbrush spankings that night before bed because they got spanked in school. One of the mothers said she swatted her daughter fifty times (once for each dollar she had to pay to fix the desk). Do you think the punishment was okay? I am so conflicted. I am reaching out to other moms to help me get over this. I feel like I betrayed my daughter. I thought she would be given a few firm swats over her clothes, maybe on her panties. I have spanked her bare bottom at home until her bottom was a shade of pink, but this punishment left her skin bright red. I think given what the mothers of the other girls said, I am making more of this than I should be. I have prayed and prayed about this, but I still feel that I betrayed my daughter. I would appreciate anyone who has experience with school paddling in a Christian school to give me their input. Yours in Christ, Mary.

wow!! i think i would have to say i am speachless! you can go to previous posts if you would lilke to read my view on spanking. the spanking release form you signed, did you sign off on the pastor making your daughter pull down her panties? that is not exceptable no matter what the situation, weather he is a pastor or not!!!!!!!!!!! and then him wanting you to calling him to "help with more dicipline" !!!!!!!!!! what would that tell your daughter????
    my guess is if your husband was home, he might have plenty to say to the pastor and i am sure your daughter must feel violated. i am a peacefull person, but if someone did that to my daughter/child i think i would definatly be a tiger mom protecting my child or daughter.
    if you have prayed about it and have not found peace .....
    if you feel in your heart that it was wrong, then don't start thinking that it was'nt so bad because the other mothers thought so!

i truly hope i did not offend, that was not my intent.

Oh my goodness! I am a Christian and I attended a Christian school in the 1980's. I remember vividly my 6th grade teacher paddling one of the boys in front of the class. I don't recall that he was a bad kid..maybe a little disruptive. Another time I witnessed one of the ladies in the church nursery spank a 2 year old. She pulled his diaper down and swatted his bare behind. You could see the red handprints on his little bottom. I knew , even as a teenager that this was NOT right. I am not completely against spanking but believe that it should be left up to the parents not a Preacher, not a teacher and definitely not a church nursery worker! My kids do not attend a Christian school and even if they did I would not permit any of the staff to lay a hand on them. You love your child and would have more compassion and mercy than anyone else would. What that pastor did to those little girls was way out of line/extreme and you should tell him so. It also sounds perverted...what was he gaining from what he was doing? What kind of message is being sent to those precious girls?? They will never forget it and it may affect them later in relationships with boys. If it were me I would tell the school staff that you do not allow them to spank your child anymore. We are instructed to train up a child in the way they should go...there is a lot more involved in training than spanking. I think it should only be used as a last resort. And remember your child is looking for you to not only love them but also protect them. Just because someone is a Pastor does not mean he is always right he is a sinner too. God gives us that little voice that let's us know that something isn't quite right. How does your husband feel about what happened? God Bless you and I will ask God to guide you through this. It may be that you need to find another church entirely.
    Last edited by Jen; 11-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Jen and Maggi, thank you for your input. My husband is currently serving in Iraq. Frankly, I am afraid to tell him about it because of what he might do to that Pastor. I have decided to pull my two children out of that school. I am going to put them in public school. I am going to have to find a new place to worship the Lord as well. My family and I trusted this was a good church led by an upright Christian man, but obviously that is not the case. I have been so overwhelmed with running the family business and acting as both mother and father to the children in my husband's absence that I just was not thinking straight. This experience has really shaken my faith. Spanking is recommended in the bible, so I thought that a man of God would do it in a way that was appropriate. What makes it worse is that the other mothers were completely okay with it. I just do not understand how people can have such a cold heart, especially when it comes to innocent children. I talked to my daughter and my son and explained why they were going to be attending a different school. I told my daughter that the Pastor will never lay a hand on her again and we will never speak to him or attend that church again. In fact, I am reluctant to trust any minister again. Does anyone know of an online church where you can worship Jesus without having to have actual contact with the congregation or the minister? I feel like you just cannot trust anyone in this world. I am praying for guidance and I am praying for that horrible man and his misled flock.