Thread: If a believer dies legally drunk, do they still go to heaven?

Question If a believer dies legally drunk, do they still go to heaven?

1 Corinthians 6:9-12 (Amplified Bible)
    9Do you not know that the unrighteous and the wrongdoers will not inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived (misled): neither the impure and immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor those who participate in homosexuality,

10Nor cheats (swindlers and thieves), nor greedy graspers, nor drunkards, nor foulmouthed revilers and slanderers, nor extortioners and robbers will inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God.

11And such some of you were [once]. But you were washed clean (purified by a complete atonement for sin and made free from the guilt of sin), and you were consecrated (set apart, hallowed), and you were justified [pronounced righteous, by trusting] in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the [Holy] Spirit of our God.

12Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power.

My sister has said that Brian was legally intoxicated at the time of his death. This was not reported in the papers nor in his obituary, but it was known he would drink, though I never really considered him an alcoholic, my mom says he was but she thinks anyone who drinks at all is. I have wondered though, if he did drink to much, if he did die b/c of drinking and driving, did he go to hell and not heaven even if he had recieved Jesus as Savior years ago? He was still attending church regularly, but we all know that church going does not make a christian. He forgave my sister for leaving him. Is his forgiveness proof he really believed? How do you ever know if someone is really in heaven or not? He was I would say the kindest man I ever knew, but did not speak much about his faith at all. Also been wondering if one does not recieve the inhertance of the Kingdom is The Kingdom heaven, or is it The Blessing at work here on the Earth. Is this why bad things happen to good people-b/c our disobedience blocks the Blessing, or the Kingdom if this is what the Kingdom is, since I know The Blessing is Jesus already from operating fully in our lives to protect us from the curse already on the world. Just what I am pondering, would welcome any input, but please no fighting with me, I just don't want any debating of scripture or arguing please.
    Last edited by DiamondRing; 06-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Romans 5:17-18 (New King James Version)

17 For if by the one manís offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
    18 Therefore, as through one manís offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Manís righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

Thank you. I was dreaming all night and I knew Brian since the 8th grade. He was not one to get drunk, I have seen him drink a beer or two many times but never once have I seen him drunk. I think my sister is exaggerating again and why it is difficult to have any relationship with her, she just makes trouble.
    The police I am sure would have mentioned had he been drunk driving, what they say is that there were cars parked on that backroad that night, normally cars are not parked on these back roads, they are too narrow and have sharp turns on the roads. But someone was having a get together and had people parked along the back road. Brian went around the turn and suddenly cars were in his way he hit one and his jeep completely flew upside down over the other parked cars. He was not wearing his seat belt and the top of the jeep was open so he flew out and landed on his head, dieing insistently from the head trauma at impact.
    It is sad and I am grieving, but I must have Faith and trust he is in Heaven.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17 For if by the one manís offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
    18 Therefore, as through one manís offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Manís righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

I'm sorry for your loss

Here's my opinion, you know I'm rarely if ever a scripture quoter and believe that people will interpert scripture to benefit their opinions and ideas a times. I try not to think about who deserves to heaven or hell. I haven't lived their life and since it is since a mystery will we ever truly know. Until we ourselves die we can't possibly know the answers to these questions. I think if you are a good person and don't harm others and you live a good productive, loving life and are faithful, kind and considerate then chances are you'll go to heaven.

A lot of people like to throw the scriptures of which behaviors one chooses gets them into the pearly gates. If you look at scripture base you pretty much have ot be a sinless saint to get. But look at the beautitudes and perhaps that will give you some piece of mind. I'm sure your hurting right now and find comfort in the person he was and the good he did instead of racking your brain on whether or not he is in heaven or not. (((((hugs))))
    Heather

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anais Nin~

ďBe who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.Ē ~Dr Seuss~

Well if any lesson at all can be learned out of this, I for one could never imagine driving without my seatbelt, but if anyone reads this and doesn't always buckle up-please wear your seatbelt every time your in amoving vehicle, and as my old friend who taught me how to drive taught me, if you cannot see what is around that bend in the road-then slow down!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I live in PA and you can usually find me in the kitchen or the laundry room.
    Hey Diamond Ring,

No one can know for sure about another's salvation, only God knows.

I believe though that just because someone was drinking when they died does not mean that they didn't go to Heaven. I believe this for a couple of reasons.

For 1) Just because he was out partying and drinking does not mean that he was a drunkard. So he slipped up. Romans 3:23 tells us, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Does that mean that none of us can get to Heaven?

And 2) You cannot lose your salvation. If he was a believer (even if it was in the past)
    he will go to Heaven. He is saved. God loves ALL his children, even the ones who have a drink once in a while.

If you need further documentation for as to why I believe this I can tell you, but right now it's late and I gotta go to bed.

I just believe that Brian is in Heaven and I wanted to let you know that.

My sister says he was becoming an alcoholic, I haven't seen either of them since last June, but I believe he is in Heaven too.
    My sister had left him back in Nov. for another man, it's a long story, and they are engaged and were waiting for her divorce to go threw to get married. Anyway the good news is this man she is with now asked Jesus into his heart this past Monday and is born-again. She wrote and told me how he came home in tears telling her of how this overwhelming peace has filled him.
    I have been so concerned for all of them for months praying, knowing this guy was not saved, knowing this marriage she was going into with him would be adulterous, even if she believed it was not, knowing adulterers do not inherit the kingdom, praying and believing God for a miracle.
    So Praise God, Jesus is The Way!
    And something I did not really know know before was that although Brian was saved, he also had become a member of the freemasons, and they must take these awful secret oaths and the higher up in levels they go the more they must turn away from Christ, in higher levels even kissing the Bible goodbye. Now I don't know what level he was in, but he was continuing to go to Church, and was involved also in his four-wheeling club and so probubly did not devote a whole lot of time to the lodge, but my sister said he had seemed to always have some kind of inner turmoil going on under his smile he gave to everyone and that underneath it all he had a lot of anger. So he self-medicated on alcohol. After 4 years of this, she said she could not take it anymore.They had been married a total of 12 years, so this would have been around 8 years of marriage, and I really have not been close to them in a while, really only saw them on holidays. Weird how the time flew by and I had not noticed how far away I have been for a long time. Anyway:
    She said she felt strongly he has been realised from whatever had been causing that turmoil and from this anger now in his passing, and is at peace with Jesus.
    I am so happy her new fiance is now saved and pray God's Blessing over this new beginning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi! Sorry for not popping in for so long! We have been painting and decorating. I wonder if God sometimes takes one of His children home before they can do too much harm to themselves and others?

It appears he had fallen asleep at the wheel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ Lisha, while I agree with you that alocholics that had accepted Christ as their personal savior, really meant it go to heaven, I do not agree with you that homosexuals go to hell. You say, "if he accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior then he is in heaven." I agree. I believe this logic can be applied to homosexuals as well. After all, if they have found liberty in their conscience and do not feel guilty about loving another man, then who are we to judge? I have much more Biblical support that you are welcome to read. I have a link to the document I've written (33 pages long) on my blog. Message me and I'll send the link.

The fact of the matter is, and I say this as a health professional, alcoholism is a disease of the mind. It's something that takes a lot of support, patience, trial and error, and determination to beat (as well as heavenly help). That's why AA is so successful (far more than any other program); God is credited with the success. My uncle was an alcoholic. I knew he prayed the sinner's prayer several times in his life and desperately wanted to beat his alcoholism. He loved the Lord but felt unworthy. He felt as if it was his fault. I can speak for the Lord, but it is my belief that he went to heaven because God can see our hearts.
    Last edited by Commenterish; 02-07-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Commenterish,
    do you still need support or have a question with this one?
    abc