Sign in to follow this  
denise1105

Books for an unbeliever

Hi all, I have a friend at my work that I will witness to. I have bought from him books from Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel, he will states that the books will have him laughing out loud. He struggles alot with church vs science issues. He thought their answers were very childish to paraphrase basically they say it is because it is is. I really try to witness to him. Are there any other books that you would know of that would be good for him?

I can understand your friend's reaction to the books he read as I know I've felt the same way while searching for answers to faith vs. science questions before - I left feeling concerned that I didn't have any greater understanding and knowing that the "answers" wouldn't really be solid for a person who was struggling with intellectual obstacles. Still, it's discouraging that a non-believer would be reacting with laughter... when I come across "it is cause it is" answers, I still have the gift of faith that allows me to trust that it's simply the source that's inadequate and not that there aren't real answers out there. Two good ones I've read that get fairly heavy into detailed scientific talk are: The Genesis Question by Hugh Ross and I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. I left both these books feeling as if most issues had been thoroughly addressed and answered, not just given lip-service.

Laurie

Hi there!

You didn't say what Lee Strobel books you gave him (or are planning to give him), but I loved "the Case for Faith". I've also heard that "the Case for Christ" is good, too.

2 other books that I love are by Max Lucado, one of his first, titled "the Applause of Heaven." The other one I like is "He still Moves Stones" also by Max Lucado. They were both helpful to me when I was struggling and reaffirming my faith. I would think they both would be very moving for an unbeliever.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Blessings!

Actually, you just need to pray a lot for your friend. Pray unceasingly. Don't give up. It could take years. A friend of mine prayed for 3 years for me before I was saved and several other people had prayed for me before then. Remember, we can plant and water, but only God can cause the growth. There may not be a particular book or verse or anything that anyone can say to convince your friend, but the Lord can and will do it in His time. Just have faith and keep praying.

In Christ, Toymom

There is really only one 'BOOK' that has the answers !

Fortunately we don't need to have all the tricky things worked out before we can become believers, none of us would make it to heaven if that were the case.

Some believers still struggle for a long time [ as Laurie has pointed out] others have a simple Faith , as of a little child, that if God's word says so then - it is so. We are all so different.

I think you are doing a good job of witnessing to him, just continue to live as a Christian should and pray and thee Lord can work.

James 5:16 The prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects.

Mattew 5 :16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Have you asked him to read the Bible and try to prove it false? Or anything like that. It seems that is always the last place we turn. It seems easier to give them a book written by some common day person versus the unrefutable Word of God.

The reason for this is a simple one, read anything, and it is not a big deal. Read the Holy Word of God, and you have the enemy plowing down your door to stop it! Have you ever found it difficult to watch tv? Or wathc a movie? NO. I haven't. In fact, it is easier than ever to watch the worst shows that ridicule Christianity and people of faith. But try to read The Bible...it is one of the last things on our minds, and on our schedule. It is never easy to "find the time" but we can tunr on tv in any room with anyone present and there is no objection.

So all that to say, let's pray for him to open God's Word, and that God may reveal Himself to this man!

PS A Lady stayed with us here at the B&B and gave me a Hebrew New Testament. She said, if you have any jewish guests, place this in their room and I guarantee their curiosity will get the better of them! This has been the way many Jews have found their Messiah!

Remember they are the ones who require miracles to believe? Well God can use His Word to do this!

Ok I just posted that about the Hebrew New Testament and I had the oppty to present to a guest this morning at breakfast!

One couple, she was saying how they went with rel's and saw Polar Express and how her husband didn't get much of it. I said why not? She said because he isn't Christian. I said, It is a Christian movie? She said, no but about St Nicholas etc. And anyway, he is Jewish and so I asked him if he has ever seen one and showed the rest of the guests how they read Hebrew from right to left, so you turn it from the back cover to read it! And then I left it there, and HE DID FLIP THROUGH IT! Praise God. (it is in English as well)