Sign in to follow this  
denise1105

Lord of the Rings / Harry Potter ?

Hello All

I just finished watching for the who knows how many times the Lord of the Rings,The Return of the king. My question or questions are: Is there or if any hidden meanings to Christ in the Lord of the Rings movies? If so are there any in the Harry Potter movies? I mean both movies have wizards and deal in a fantasy world.

Thanks

My understanding is that neither Harry Potter nor Lord of the Rings have any purposeful analogues to the gospel. However, I believe that J.R.R. Toilken, the author of The Lord of the Rings, was a Christian and he wrote his stories rooted in the truth of the gospel. On the other hand, J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter, doesn't write from a Christian perspective and her stories end up fueled by worldly wisdom.

A couple years back my husband read a book by Richard Abanes called Fantasy and Your Family - using Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as it's main examples, it took a look at what things Christians ought to consider in choosing what fantasmical literature to avoid and what to enjoy. I haven't read it but my husband really enjoyed it and shared many tidbits with me during his reading.

Laurie

I pretty much agree with nae on both counts. Tolkien was a practicing Catholic and while he denied LOTR was allegorical in a strict sense, he thought (or hoped) that it had some "applicability" to the lives of Christians.

Some Christians have gone to rather silly extremes in denouncing the Harry Potter series. The books are not "evil", at least not moreso than any other popular entertainment. And they are extremely well-written. They do have a basically secular outlook, though.