Sign in to follow this  
denise1105

Bad things happen

I am trying to witness to a friend and she keeps asking why God would allow bad things to happen like 09/11 or the earthquakes. I tried to explain to her that we live in a imperfect world and that God is in control of everything. Is there a better way for me to explain it to my friend do you think?

What you've started with is great. God's desire to gift us all with free-will means that we will sometimes use that free-will to hurt others and, ultimately, the fallen state of nature is a product of free-will.

I would also try pointing out that God has a perfect perspective on life that we don't have and He can see how the bad things fit into an overall good picture. As humans living within a fixed period of time and working with limited knowledge, we have a very narrow vision on life. We see events as isolated things and judge each isolated thing as either good or bad, in and of itself, with no further ends. Our judgments about what's good and bad tend to be all about what we want - if it's what we want, it's good and if it's not what we want, it's bad. But God knows everything, past, present, and future... and he has perfect wisdom to judge accurately what is indeed good and what is indeed bad. And He has told us in His word that He works all things for good to those that love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28-29). In the event of 9/11, that was an awesomely good thing for the believers who were killed - they were instantly ushered into the presence of the Lord! To the believers who were not killed, God is using 9/11 as a refiner's fire to draw them closer to Him and to use their lives for further good and for His glory. To unbelievers not killed, 9/11 was an opportunity to re-examine their decision about who Christ is to them, hopefully coming to a conclusion that will lead them to eternal life in paradise. The only losers are the unbelievers that were killed... and God in his foreknowledge, being a merciful and loving God, wouldn't have allowed them to be killed one day, week, or year before they were "going to" accept His saving grace. They had hardened their hearts and God knew that more chances weren't going to soften them. And ultimately, in sending them to spend eternity outside His presence, He was honoring their free-will. When this globe stops spinning we will all be in a position to recognize that even 9/11 served a greater purpose that was good to those that love Him, but for right now we just have to trust that God's judgment on the situation is good.

Laurie

You might want to point out that the bible doesn't promise a carefree existence. We are told there will be trials and tribulations.

Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjus

Luke 21:25-26 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

great minds!

I had been thinking about this topic today and was just coming on to post Matthew 5:45 but I see Twin Crier has got there before me :)