Sign in to follow this  
denise1105

Speaking in tongues?

Hello again, I have been using this board a lot as of recently, it seems to be helping me in my walk with Jesus.

What if I don't talk in tongues? Is that totally necessary as a beleiver in Christ?

1 Corinthians 13:8 ¶ Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

13 and now there doth remain faith, hope, love—these three; and the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

We had a similar discussion last year, I think the above verses sum up the result.

If you use the SEARCH button on the top of the page you should find the whole thread - it will make interesting reading.

Tongues in scripture

Hey I read this thread right when I was registering and boy has the topic of tongues been at the forefront of my mind for a few months now!

I have not been given the gift of speaking in tongues, although I do believe that Christ would like us all to speak in tongues (as He states).

I would suggest reading all of 1 Corinthians 13 and all of chapter 14 as well. It is pretty much laid out for understanding.

I have been a christian for just about all my life. I love the Lord with all my heart, and I know God has answered prayers for me in very specific ways. I am constantly seeking his guidance. I have never spoken in tounges nor have I ever had the desire to do so. I really don't think it has to do much with your relationship or standing with God. Lauren

Sometimes I wish we could stick to Child Rearing in a godly fashion questions on this forum. I see certain members always post questions that seem to get people going? or egg people to type their own belief about a subject. I don't think that is what this forum is about or should be used for. Let's discuss verses, books, walsk with the Lord. But we all know how some issues end up, dividing people.

I am sure there are plenty of other forums with debates going on about issues like Speaking in Tongues. I always find it just distracts me and then I leave the forum for a while.

I don't feel divided when we are at odds about an issue. We all have to remember that we were all brought up differently, or came to know Christ in different ways. The type of church you are brought up in has a tremoundous influence on what you feel comfortable with in worship. My church upbringing was very concervative. Until reciently you would never hear an AMEN or see anyone raising their hands in worship. We are a very bible believing church but not at all "Carismatic" in any way. We would never hear any one speaking in tongues.

I think problems arise when we as Christians begin to put God in a box, believing that God works in the ways we were taught he works. We believe that other people need to worship the way we do because it has always worked for us, and it is what we are comfortable with. speaking in tongues woulds be very foreign to me, and I would feel very uncomfortable with it. I would not ever say that someone else is wrong for doing it. It might be a wonderful intimate worship experience for someone else. We should never forget that we can not begin to comprehend how big God is. What is most important is that our heart is right with God and we are always seeking his will.

I love seeing how different people worship. I find it interesting, and exciting to see how he works through us all differently. I do not feel it needs to divide us. If you seek God he will always be just the very thing you need.

This is the type of thing however that can trip up a new believer. Ask your self what are you comfortable with in worship? Pray about it. Ask God to seek your heart. Most of all I think God wants you to love him and seek his will. God does not get strung out over worship styles like we do. He just wants our heart felt praise. Lauren

Agreed. Different styles. Just as we all have different personalities, we prefer different types of worship.

I do not think this posting was about worship however. And not everyone was brought up in a church atmosphere, many of us were not. So for many, it is a new thing, or something to be explored to find what is right for yourself and your family.

Tongues, as far as I have ever heard people discuss has been a dividing issue. Those who say they speak in tongues are adamant about it. Many churches going as far as saying you do not HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT and are NOT SAVED if you do not "have the gift of tongues." I am not saying this, THEY ARE. I believe it is utter rubbish.

There are more reasons than one that we have a few dozen + different denominations in this land, and a hundred + non-denominational groups.

This is the first time i have ever replied to something like this being new at christianmom.com. However I cannot pass up the oppertunity to respond. I however do not nor does our church look down on believers who do not speak in tounges. We truly believe it is for the church today and, it is a avenue to communicate with our spirit man who lives in us to Heavenly Father. We believe man is a three part being We are a spirit who lives in a body who posses a soul ( mind). praying in the Spirit or in tounges is uplifting and, the great advantage is the devil has no idea what you are saying, that way he cannot get in the way when you are praying trying to hinder your prayers as if he could if we prayed in english. This is not freaky and, we just don't blurt out all the sudden in a foregn tounge but, it also does not make you a lesser christian because you choose not to recieve this gift that is as free as salvation. Thank God for all our differences and, when we get to Heaven we can ask many questions directly to our Heavenly Father who will have all the answers. God bless you all

Tongues

It is ok. The bible promotes it. The previous quotes on this thread discouraging it were taken grossly out of context. You know it really is up to us christians individually to really read things in context ,if we really care about 'the truth' ,and not just someone else's interpretation. :confused:

Hey! if telling it like it is ,divides...well ,all that proves is that God word is true after all .He's the guy who said the word of God was quick, sharper than a two-edged sword dividing asunder....I don't think any of God's people would like to assume a walk of pluralism. Where there is so much oppositon here that we should just forget the bible says what it does. Remember, it is God we will answer to when all is said and done not man.that Most people are opposed to speaking in tongues or baptism of the Holy Spirit go by what they have been taught.Sometimes it is good for us as Bible believing christians to read this so-called bible ourselves instead of just listening to what others say about it.

A few facts we should know....

It is for today...if you don't think so read about what the bible says on it in corinthians(just don't take the verses out of context)

You can go to heaven w/o it.

It is like having one arm you can still function but two are better. Being baptised in the Holy Spirit is your second arm in the spiritual realm.

I don't think we should look down on or criticize ea. other because some have done this others haven't Jesus prayed we should all be one.

But most that deny this practice are reciting limited verses they were taught by people 'opposed' to it and it is important that we each read the bible ourselves.