Sign in to follow this  
denise1105

Question on the "paranormal"

Hello ladies, I love Jesus with all my heart, I beleived that He did die for my sins, and has ascended into heaven. But why am I still interested in seeing "ghost photos" or reading ghost stories?

A good thing for you to do is decide how much you'd like Jesus to be a part of your life. Do you love Him enuff to give Him all? If you do...give Him this area of your life and ask Him to direct you as to what you should do about it . Lay it down at His feet and ask Him to lead you about it. Another way that GOd talks to us is in His word. Read your bible. Does it tell you that GOd wants you to have a interest in these things the way you do...if not...it could be that satan is planting a fixation on these things to try to get you off track down the road.. Remember he is very Subtule. He will decieve you slowly if that is the intention. I remember at a time I was very rebellious that I used to watch a lot of horror movies and blood and gore. I actually thought it was funny. (hollywood stuff) But after I changed my heart and life over to the Lord I could not watch them anymore and felt convicted to not watch them I have not unto this day.

Last year, I started reading ghost stories on the internet. I didn't think of it as sin until I started having nightmares. Funny thing is, in my nightmares, I was always calling on Jesus for help. I stopped reading them right away. I worry because my son has started reading some scary stories for his reading level. My mom has been offering me her Stephen King novels. I've been praying for wisdom about these issues. I think I was addicted to the adrenaline rush.

I heard someone mention the other day HOW EASY it is to sit in front of a tv and watch shows that DO NOT glorify God at all, far from it. Or read books we shouldn't or anything that we feel might be wrong. There is not force against us, in fact, the path has been laid to make it very easier to do these things.

Of course, when you have Jesus as your savior and you have the Holy Spirit in your life, you feel that just maybe this is not what I should be doing. My theory, if you think it may be wrong, then it is!!! No Doubt about it. Don't try to persaude yourself that it is just okay and you are not getting THAT into it.

Anyway, try to sit down and read The Word or have a family devotional, and you will have a dozen interruptions!

Here is an example, my DH grandmother and mother down unda read tea leaves. They hand you a cup of tea and before you know it, after you spit out the extra leaves in your mouth, they are turning your cup and reading your leaves. A sweet little grandmother who reads her Bible. HUH? Well when they did it the first time, it really bothered me. I felt like I had sinned and DID NOT WANT TO KNOW what they were "seeing" in the leaves. It was dealing with the "paranormal" whether it was authentic or not, it was still delving into it.

They never did it when DH grandfather was in the house, as he objected to it. They always repreated to me over and over "It's just a bit of fun." But they believed the leaves and what they read.

Just sharing to tell you, I KNEW IN MY HEART this was wrong and allowed it to happen. I felt like I was sneaking behind God's back to allow this.

Holy Spirit knows. We need to trust him.

This theory just came to my mind as I was reading some of the other responses... prehaps part of our fascination with the paranormal is due to our healthy feelings of not belonging in this world. We all know that even healthy/good feelings can be acted upon wrongly (sexual feelings are given to us by God but we act upon them wrongly when we engage in sexual activity with someone other than our spouse). God has told us that this world is not our home. Even the non-Christian can't get away from that nagging discomfort that this world just doesn't satisfy. When we are faced with these feelings (or when they sneak up from behind and we aren't even aware we're feeling them) we may seek connection to the "other-worldly" through things like the paranormal. Our world likes to think that "ghosts" can somehow provide direction, protection, or comfort and it is hard not to get suckered in to giving it a "harmless" investigation. God has given us a wonderful pathway of connection to Him through His Son and through His Word, but due to our sinful nature, we seem to always want to do things God's way as a last resort.

Laurie