Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Suggestions for a sick baby

My little guy (two months) has got his first cold. I've been in touch with the doctor and everything is in order that it's just got to run it's course; actually seeing the doctor or giving medications are not necessary. While we wait he's had periods where he's been somewhat miserable with a stuffy nose and cough (fortunately, he's mostly still flashing some dazzling smiles) . Any suggestions for helping him be more comfortable at these times?

Laurie

Did you have a humidifier? That always helps, what helped me a lot was to raise the crib where their heads were so they have a little incline to sleep. Plus of course the nose sucker bulb helped a little.

Lots of drinks are great for colds - no matter what age you are.

2 of mine seemed to be born with a cold [ i'd had a streaming nose before the births :(] but although they snuffled and sneezed , by the time they were fully latched on they seemed to breath easily and fed well.

Thank you. Sounds like I've got the bases covered. He's been sleeping in his car seat in order to keep his head elevated, I've been nursing him slightly more frequently to keep his fluids up, I borrowed a humidifier from a friend, and those nose bulbs are indeed quite handy. This morning I took him into the bathroom with me (in his carseat) while I showered so he could breath in the steam... it seemed to help. He took a good nap right after that and he's continuing to sound better and better. He is so precious... even when he's all clogged up he's generous with the wonderful toothless grins. :)

Laurie