Sign in to follow this  
Lissajayne05

Were you raised in a Christian home?

I am new to this site and just love it!

I was wondering if you all were raised in Christian homes? My husband was, but I wasn't, and we have talked about how it has been harder for me to finally accept Christ. For those of you that were not raised in christian homes, was it harder for you too? Is it hard now to deal with your parents on the issue? It sure is with me. We always invite them to church but they come up with excuses.

Any info or comments would be appriciated!!!

P.s. I love this site!

Melissa

Mom to Ashley ~ Almost 2!

Baby on the way in Aug!

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this recently since I too am a first generation Christian and I've come to think that life is just hard in different ways for us. I've been a believer for 23 years this May and my mom and brothers gave me a hard time at first and still call me a fanatic every so often but they have come to church, my mom even belongs to Sunday School class but she still refuses to sit through church. My children on the other hand are second generation christians and they struggle with having their own faith and not depending on their parents faith since God has no grandchildren and we all have to come to Jesus the same way through faith. My older children have all gone away from church and made bad decisions and are now reaping what they have sown. My three older sons all have children with unbelievers and one son died and we hardly ever see his daughter and the other has lost his parental rights because he is bi-polar and an alcholic and we seldom see his son and then my third son married a girl into (wicca) some sort of witch cult. It seems like they're marriage is over.

Back to the subject of first generation christians, it is I believe a little harder for us to get into consistently reading our Bibles and praying and discipling our children in the Lord. Since many of us will not have others like parents or relatives praying for us it will be a battle fought and won in the spiritual realm on our own behalf. That is why God says He is the Father to the fatherless. We only have to remember that we are truely powerless without Jesus and we need to be on our own knees more than others. We need only completely surrender to Our Lord and trust Him completely in case you haven't noticed I am preaching to myself I am like the the father who says "I believe" " Jesus Help me with my unbelief."

I was raised with Christian principles, but not in a Christian home (huh?) My mom was raised in a Christian Home, so many of the things she taught me were directly from the bible (without me knowing it) but the lifestyle she lived did not match up to the true teachings of Christ. When I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I found out where my mother was teaching me from after all those years. As far as having trouble with friends and other family members, I just allowed my testimony to be their guide.(All the while I was praying for their souls to be saved) As they all began to see what God was doing in me, my testimony became a testimony for them also. It is important to give all the Glory to God when you tell them your wonderful testimonies- and not just a coincidence or good luck. In a family where Jesus is not taught, very often you are trained to be in control (of everything)-the hardest part for me was learning to submit to God, because by doing that I felt I was losing the control I fought so hard to always have. Now being saved you are a child of light, led by the spirit of God. Not controlled like a robot but guided and taught and molded into the virtuous woman of God he created you to be. As you allow him to mold and shape you, everyone else is watching (trust me on this one). When you emerge the beautiful butterfly, everyone will know that only God could've done that. Your testimony will lead them to Jesus. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony;

I am a first generation christian. My mom died when I was 2 and my dad was always working (athiest). I was raised by my catholic grandma. She had teh relics and made dad bring us for our first communion after all what would the neighbors think(lol). But she did not walk the walk or even talk the talk. She is now 97 and i am praying for her salvation. I found the Lord (actually He grabbed me) through the 911 tragedy. I had been bringing my girls to church because I had the desire in my heart to do so, but I did not KNOW the Lord or His word. When I sstarted reading His word and asking questions in the church I was directed towards the traditions so I left. I'm now in a wonderful charasmatic Lutheran church. I have NOONE outside the church who is a believer. My daughters 8 and 10 are being raised knowing the Lord. But they are in apublic school, around all secular people. It is hard. My husband does not mock or scoff as my dad, sister and brother-in-law do. But he has not given his heart yet either. I see the Lord in his life everyday drawing him. God told me one day when I was praying. RELAX- I will save Jim, but it must be ME and not you. So I wait and trust.I see the Lord in many ways making up for lost time in my life. One was right God does not have any grand-children we all must receive His Son in our own hearts. For me I am gaining an appreciation for my walk. Because I know what I know what I know when it comes to my transformation. It helps me to stand strong in the faith knowing that everything I learn about Him comes from Him and not from my up bringing or any other area. When I read your responses and hear others it strengthens my faith because I am EXPERIENCING the same things as people hundreds and thousands of miles away!! It has to be REAL. Right! Amen!!! God is faithful, He desires their salvation far more than I ever could.

I was raised by Christian parents, who in turn were raised by Christians, in fact I have quite a heritage of Faith behind me - but none of that was any good until I trusted the Lord for myself.

It made growing up much simpler and raising my childen likewise, as there are few conflicting influences throughout the family. Though as my parents were raised in an Independant Baptist Church, and moved into our present circles after I was born, we did notice that the other children around treated us slightly differently, but it has stood us in good stead as we know that there are many, many true Children of God who worship differently from us.

It can make you lazy though, as a lot of Truth has simply been absorbed and not won for ourselves, that's a good thing about places like ChristianMom it can stretch my knowledge that wee bit further.

Hi Melissa,

I was brought up in a Christian home and my husband was not. I think he had heard the message many times as a child--he was good friends with my older brother who brought him to church and I think he even accepted Christ at one of the youth groups but never really followed through with it. He seems to have had an easy time making the switch to trust Christ. I think it is b/c of all the difficult times he's been through and since he's been saved he can see the hope that comes with being a believer.

I don't know if I'd say that it is easier for people who have grown up in a Christian home. In some ways it is because we have been saved from a lot of hardships because of our positive upbringing. But I think you still need to find God for yourself. I went to a Christian university and it was surprising how many people came to trust Christ there. I think He finally revealed Himself to them, but in there own homes it might have just been routine to pray, do devotions, etc.

I guess it really depends on the person :)

Congrats on your pregnancy! We just found out that we are pregnant again--I have a 2 year old boy and our next one is due 9-22-05 :) -- I can't wait to get out of this first trimester!! I've been too pooped to play with my son lately!! I just want to sleep all day!!

Crystal

I was'nt brought up christian but, my mom always said god is watching you so be good. That didn't do the trick. I'm so glad that I accepted the lord. Although my husband was raised catholic i do have faith that god can work miracles. He says he's a born again believer but i can tell it's harder for him. Ihave three beautiful girls 2,4,&8. They love our church i pray that god continues to show them his wonderful grace.

I was born and raised in a Christian home but like several of you, my husband was not. He came to the Lord a few years ago and is on fire for Christ! We are now believing for his family. There is an excellent website that gives really excellent tips for witnessing to your loved ones, friends, etc.

It is called, http://www.wayofthemaster.com. Truely worth checking out.

I was raised in a christian home (my father and mother became christians when I was in grade school). I actually accepted Christ when I was in Junior High. My husband was raised by his christian mother (his father was never home and I honestly dont know where his heart is.) My son is 13 and is also a christian.

I was raised by a Christian dad and a mother ( who claimed to be a Christains but actions say otherwise). my parents were seperated when I was 12..... I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was 4.... very young, simple, trusting age. Went my own way in life for awhile.. however I have always had a deep faith.. ... thought MY actions never showed it I never denied... My issues right now is I have to grow my faith and my beliefs to my age... I need more than being the 4 yr. old who just believes....I've never been taught to have a true relationship ... I"ve been talking w/ my dad a lot lately about Christ ( I talk w/ him alot anyways) and I can just hear his happiness that I am wanting more. SO yes I was raised Christian but not always behaved like one!

Good Topic!!!

I think this is a good topic because all of our stories are so interesting and amazing to see how God has come into our lives. I was raised by a single mom who was trying to make the "big time" with her singing career. She had a faith that was not being fed and ultimately led to wordly living for my entire childhood. I gave my heart to Jesus when I was 12 with the urging from her sister. Ill never forget the intense love and forgivness I felt that day...I cried as if I had had 30 years of sin on my shoulders...But then I continued to move around more with my mom(never knew my dad-met him when I was 23 yrs old...another story) and I back slid up until 6 months ago...partying...but many times prayed for God to help me grow up. Sure there were times I would straighten out for awhile, go to church, but always stayed on the fence...neither hot or cold,the bible says.

When I look back on what God has spared me from, protected me from, brought me out of, I am so humbled and thankful. I can relate to those who dont know how to let go and let God, it took me along time to understand that entire concept..Although Im still not where I need to be, thankyou Jesus, Im no longer where I used to be!!!!!!!Amen.

Heya Everyone

I just love reading people's testimonies- this poll in particular is really interesting. I was raised Catholic but we never went to Church regularily. Every now and again we'd have spurts of going to Church or reading the Bible but my upbringing was not Christ centred. There was also a lot of occult stuff mixed into Catholic stuff- so there was a very messy mix of things to sort through! During my teen years I went to a Catholic high school and had a personal interest in the Bible. But I also turned my back on the Lord and looked into witchcraft etc. which lead to many bad things in my life.

At 19 I flirted with Jesus for a while but not enough to make a proper commitment.

At 26 I became pregnant with my son- and as I faced going through my pregnancy alone I finally reached out to the living God who answers prayer. Once my son was born I was inspired to turn my life around- and step by step the Lord made sure the path back to Him was well lit. I was born again on March 19 2005. I am very happy that I will be raising my son in a Christ centred life and hope it will mean he will have a more stable and productive life than I have had so far (I say so far because I know the Lord has a beautiful plan for my life and the years the locust took away will be redeemed in double portions! Amen!).

Someone mentioned a scripture about God being the protector of the Fatherless- I take comfort in this scripture as it reassures me the Lord is watching over myself and my son.

My mother- who in many ways led me to Christ- is still a bit confused about catholiscm, occult and Christianity. But I have faith that the Lord is working in her life.

My parents are divorced. Since I have become a Christian my father has been asking me questions about my experiences and about the Bible. His wife is studying theology and so they are getting into the Word. I trust the Lord has a major plan for all my family and is leading us to healing and christian maturity. It's so exciting considering how dark things were when I was growing up.

I was raised in a Christian home and still had to learn some lessons the hard way. I didnt really accept Christ until I was sixteen years old. I was baptized and confessed Christ as my savior. As I became an adult I went to the ways of the world and always had my faith, but never really acted like a Christian. I believe I have been given a second chance and have joined a Baptist church with my husband. My kids will be raised in a church with strong youth ministries. My husband and I were baptized into the Baptist faith last Sunday. God is so good! :)

For me, my mom started taking me to church when I was five so I could be around "nice people", when I started going she started going... my dad followed later (: I actually felt that being raised with the knowledge of Christ I didn't have as good of a testimony as other's who came to know Christ when they were older. I always knew Christ and when I was 11 I made a public confession and asked him into my life... But it wasn't until years later that I really understood the full weight that my sin carried. I was always a "good person" and didn't sin "much" so it wasn't until one night when I was reading a devotion that it really hit me that cost of my sins and the overflowing love that Christ had for me when he chose to die on the cross for my sins--whether big or small! And since then God has definately brough to light areas in my life that I do need to work on... I sure wasn't as "good" as I thought, but despite that God love me and changed my life! I think another response made note that even if you are raised in a Christian home, you have to make it real for yourself. I know I have seen many of people just live off their parents faith and it hasn't ended well.

God Bless

Joanna

Veggie Mom

I was brought up Christian Reformed and we went to church but I did not feel the love of God in our home. I now have a personal relationship with the lord. I encourage my kids to express their love in a daily walk and not in a performance biased way. Like Jesus said...he came to love us and be a light. To give us a personal relationship with Him. I am so greatful for the teaching that my church gave us but it is about our love for him not how well we "look"

I was not raised in a christian home altough we believed in God. I started going to church when I was around 15-16 years old. When my husband and I started dating he was a big help to me in my spiritual journey to really knowing God.

Guest happy@home

I was raised in a Christian home. My parents are wonderful Christians and I accepted Jesus as my Saviour at a very young age. When I was 6 yrs. old, we went down to the Turks & Caicos Islands to serve as missionaries. We served for 6 yrs. and returned to the U.S. We moved here to Indiana and I have been here ever since. I am currently assisting in the 4-5 yr. old Sunday School class at our church. I am very thankful for my heritage. God has truely blest me!!! I am married to a Christian man. We have been married for 8 1/2 yrs and God has blessed our home with 3 beautiful daughters.