Sign in to follow this  
LovingTucker

Looking for advice on getting my baby to sleep thru the night

She is 8 months old and still wakes up to eat (breastfed) at least two times a night. I pray that God gives me an answer soon cause I'm exhausted! Any advice ladies? Thank you!

Getting baby to sleep through the night

Hello,

I breastfeed also and my son has never slept through the night so to speak.I was told breastfed babies don't. He will usually sleep from 8pm until midnight then wake up around 5 when I get up for work. Other times awake at 10pm and 2am. matters the week. If he is going through a growth spurt or not. so your not alone. Be encouraged will be praying for strengh and restful sleep for you. God Bless.

Thankful

What time do you put her to bed?

I breastfed all three of mine - and with the first one, things were a little wacky because I didn't know what I was doing - but with him and then my 2 girls, I finally learned to put them to bed at a regular time (8pm), and then get them up at 11pm or midnight and feed them. Most times that would help them last until 6am or so. Sometimes they would wake up at 4am and want to eat - but at least that made it so I was only up once in the middle of the night.

Also - when they were old enough to eat cereal, instead of giving that at dinner time - they got it before MY bedtime - again, extending the hour that they woke up to feed again. That may be a problem for a child who is gassy, but it worked for me. I went to a nutritionist for my son once, because he was not really interested in regular food until about 9 months, and she made me see that I needed to get out of my head that he only eat breakfast food at breakfast, dinner at dinner, etc. OR at a specific time of day. In other words, one thing he loved to eat were waffles. That was dinner for a while. Do you see what I mean? I was very stuck on the idea that because a food he really liked and would eat was traditionally a breakfast food, that it couldn't be served (or prepared) in the evening! Crazy - but I was a new Mom and just learning!

Also - I quickly learned to get over the myth of changing their diaper BEFORE a feeding (unless they were really wet or really messy!), because they would ALWAYS do a fun dirty diaper shortly after they ate! "input - output - what goes in, must come out!"

Hope these ideas help - if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Hi, I'm new here but I just wanted to encourage you. I have two babies, well one isn't really a baby anymore, he's two. Anyway, I only breastfed them both and they both slept through the night. It took about three months. My first would only sleep 8-9 hours in a row so I would try to put him to sleep when I went to sleep. My second, she slept about thrirteen hours in a row from 9 weeks on. I had to wake her up every morning! The advice that I was given, and seemed to work, was that they should not snack. I know, it has to do with eating! but they told me to always make sure that the baby "eats" a full meal when they nurse. Some babies are nautral sleepers, like my second, they sleep all the time and then at night, then there are the other babies.... like my first! It's a lot of work I think too. I would always put baby down at the same time at night... also, my first would always "trick" us, he would sleep through the night for a month and then start crying suddenly, we would get up and check on him, rock him and so on and suddenly we had a new habit, let's get up every night ! yeah! no :( Anyways, also Iwas told, and it proved true for us, was that sometimes they are just stuck in thier clock. Sometimes they need to cry a little. My first did that, he would get up at 3 o'ck every single night always with in a ten mintute span of time,finally I let him cry (just about 5-10) and he never woke again! Anyway, sorry it's so long, I hope something there helps you, I don't believe that God wants us to be super tired mommys. He will give you the key! email me if you want! Ruth

Thank you, ladies, for your word of encouragement. It is really nice to be reminded that I am not the first mother to experience a wakeful baby all thru the night. Its tough when both my mom and my mother-in-law tell me how easy all of their children were and how they all slept through the night right away. (Then again, that was all over thirty years ago so they probably don't remember how it actually might have been!) Anyway, I do thank you all.

I have two children that I have breastfed. I now have a three month old that sleeps from 8:30pm to 6:00am. With my first child, she didn't sleep through the night until I let her "cry it out" at the age of 6mos. I learned that it wasn't that she was truly hungry. She just wanted me in the middle of the night. She cried for 45 mins. the first night, 30 mins the next and slept through the third. Currently, I think I was able to get the 3 month old to sleep through the night so quickly with a few tricks. I didn't feed her everytime she cried in the night, instead I tried to put her off with a pacifier. Second, I feed on the first side, change the diaper to wake her up for the second side, then finish the feeding. This ensures that she is getting the maximum feeding to last her as long as possible. I also agree with the earlier reply about putting her to bed at a regular time each night. A schedule really helps a baby gain stability in sleeping practices.

If your husband is agreeable, when your daughter wakes up before you know she actually needs to eat, have him go to her to sooth her back to sleep. Your daughter is probably waking up out of habit moreso than hunger and if you can help her learn that she doesn't need to eat to fall back asleep, you can help break that habit. My husband and I are just beginning to try this with my four month old son and so far it's making a difference. He's been in a stage where he's not even sleeping for two hours - if I go in to his room, he expects food and makes quite a fuss if I don't give it to him. But when daddy goes to him, he knows there's no food to be had so he's more open to patting on the back and being comforted back to sleep. Prior to this, I've done all the nighttime work because my husband has to work in the professional world and we figure it's better business for me to be the one yawning all day, not him. :)

And while you struggle with this stage of development, thank the Lord for this time that your daughter is desiring to lay in your arms and enjoy your special connection - before you know it she'll be sleeping through the night and then some, and your bedroom encounters with her will be you trying to get her to get out of bed!

Laurie

Sleeping thru the night

A really cool trick my DR. told me was to wear a nightgown one night and then slip it over my daughters mattress the next night. It will smell like you and help your baby sleep. It worked so well with my children. I willpray something helps. Don't feel bad about taking a nap if your tired. You deserve it you have the most important job in the world!!! Enjoy it!!!!

I breastfed both my children and the times they woke up during the night the most was during the growth spurts. Remember too that every time they nurse, your body is responding by making more milk for them. That said, if your husband is agreeable, by husband learned to breastfeed with the first baby. He would actually get up and help her to latch on (after watching me a few times) and rub her face and sing to her while I slept through the whole thing. We didn't do this every night, but on the days I was exhausted it so was wonderful. Good luck and know that this won't be forever. :)

Give her a bottle of warn water in the night for a few times, not the breast. She'll soon learn it isn't worth it. You will have to deal with a few crying episodes perhaps.

Also give her a love object that has been between you and her at breast feeding time so she can receive comfort from the love object. Something made of silk or satin is good.

A soother also works good in my opinion.