Sign in to follow this  
christianmom

9yr boy birthday party ideas

Hi Ladies -

Any ideas for a 9 year old boy's birthday party?? We plan on just a few friends, boys and girls probably. Last year we did a pizza party at a local place with games, face painting and he got to make his own pizza. I don't want to do a swimming party, he doesn't want to do bowling. The local kid's party center (similar to Chuck E Cheese) is way to expensive. He likes Star Wars, so that will be the "theme", but I'm looking for what to do with the kids if they come to our house!

Thanks in advance!

We made up a game where the kids had to collect tokens and if they got a bamboozle one, they had to do go to "Jail" until someone else used a "free your friend" token to release him.

For instance, we put tokens with pictures on them in icecubes. The kids had to pick one and see what was in it when it melted. They had to play a game with carrying cotton balls on a spoon and picking up a wrapped token at the other end. They had to dig for tokens in a cake and in a pot of goewy flour and water, lots of gross things, etc. Eventually we added up the tokens which were various points and the winners got prizes.

We have an unfinished basement, so let them spray each other with silly string. It swept up pretty good.

I found that some boys didn't like the structure of the having to play a game. It gets tougher the older they get to engage all friends at the same time.

Last year when my son turned 10 we did indoor mini-golf. It was something he hadn't done for awhile. While we waited for everyone to arrive, they played hockey in our basement. They seemed to really like that.

For my boys' 9th (we had a joint party) we had a pinata. For some reason the kids all loved it. I always think those things take too long to bust open, but I guess kids just enjoy smacking things with a bat.

I think it's better to get the kids each a 2-3 dollar prize then fill up bags with several dollars of cheap 'party favors' that will get lost or broke within a week.

Our girls went to a co-ed Gymnastics party! It was the best party they ever went to. It was not too expensive either. Do you have anyplace for gymnastics near you? It was a great way to have these wired kids burn off all their energy and have a blast. I am thinking of doing this for our next bday.

PS there was no pinata with candy expenses, no goody bags, none of the usual EXTRA expenses...so I think it was much cheaper than a home birthday party.