Sign in to follow this  
abc

What is Prayer?

The Bible is God’s Word and special means of communication, do we take the Bible seriously? Do we have a holy reverence for Scripture and the time we assemble together to worship and study this Word from God?

God is looking for people who have a holy reverence for the Word and His plan for learning and applying it. This means truly hearing God’s voice in the Word. He encodes and transmits, and we are to decode and receive.

Effective communication to occur, there must be effective listening. This is true not only in Bible study, but in our prayer life and in all aspects of corporate worship. So we might truly listen to God through the various aspects of a worship service, and especially our time in the Word.

We need to listen to God even though He has chosen to use human instruments to communicate with us. Take to heart Paul’s praise to the believers in

1 Thessalonians 2:13: “And for this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received from us the word of God’s message, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.”

The process looks something like this:

• COMMUNICATION: Listening to God

• COMPREHENSION: Understanding what God says

• CONFIDENCE: Trusting in what God says

• CHANGE: Being transformed by what God says

Without this process of communication, there simply cannot be any real spiritual change in the life of man. Because of this, God is deeply concerned about how well we hear when we are listening.1

1 J. Hampton Keathley, III , Th.M.

Start at the top if you like

http://www.christianmom.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32569[/url

I wrote a paper on prayer and it is 80% complete. I would like to share in brief with all of you.

The Main Topics are:

What is prayer?

Why is prayer Important to us?

Usages of prayer

Elements of Effective Prayer

Obstacles to Effective prayer

How should we pray?

Examples of effective prayer

Some of you may want to improve in the area of prayer this year.

Some may not know what to pray for or how to pray, and there is more

It is God's desire for all of us to be effective in communicating with Him.

It is my hope to give out what God has given to me.

Here is a brief introduction on what is covered in the paper:

All of us can learn something about Prayer, from Jesus and the Apostle Paul. Parents can learn about praying for their children. Husbands and wives can find new life together as they learn to pray effectively one for the other. It can reach every soul for whom we care and release in them a new realm of living in Christ.

Prayer is a very important part of Christian life. You should be interested in this topic to have communication with God.

My paper cover a deficiency in Christian living, which prevents many Christians from obtaining spiritual maturity. The deficiency is the lack of proper attention to Prayer, devotion to proper prayer techniques and inappropriate request of God.

Some of the many questions Christians ask about pray are; why should I pray? How do I pray? What do I pray for? Who do I pray for? When do I pray? These unanswered questions, hinder us from coming to full maturity. I have highlight the deficiencies in our prayers and prayer behavior, which will help Christians’ identify and eliminate these obstacles in their lives.

We all want to come to full maturity in Christ.

Joyce Meyer wrote a wonderful book on prayer and real communication with God as opposed to just going through the "religious" motions some call prayer but really just hit the ceiling and never reach the ear of Our Father. It is entitled The Power of Simple Prayer and I checked it out from our local library for free but it can be purchased from her website, just Google Joyce Meyer, or any Christian bookstore. I also checked out her DVD entitled Simple Prayer...Simple Life for free at our library but you can also purchase this from her website. Both were instrumental in confirming that prayer really need not be overly religious, there is no need to speak different (Old English style), you do not need to prayer only on your knees, you can stay in conversation with God all day long and you know you cannot stay on your knees all day long in the physical but the whole on your knees is really an expression of full and total surrender to God and you can stay on your knees in your Spirit all day long, willing to listen to Him and obey (do) whatever He says to you.

I highly recommend these teaching resources to anyone who wants to learn how to communicate effectively with Father God through Jesus Our Lord.

Edited by DiamondRing
mispelling

I will have to read more in depth later - but I think this is great! My pastor invited my husband and I a few months back to be in a special class about prayer that he does once a year. Its a very small group where we read a book called "The Hour that Changes the World" and its about spending an hour a day in prayer (or more). And it takes you through a cycle of prayer that helps you focus on things other than yourself or even the needs of others. It teaches you that while those things are important - we need to praise and worship him when we approach him - come to him with thanksgiving.

It was really an eye opener and looking back I can see a difference that it made in our home. Of course once you start going on your own and you don't have the accountability of a group to talk to (most) become slackers - so this was a great reminder to see that and to whip my spiritual self back into shape!

http://www.amazon.com/Hour-That-Changes-World-Practical/dp/0800793137/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I will have to read more in depth later - but I think this is great! My pastor invited my husband and I a few months back to be in a special class about prayer that he does once a year. Its a very small group where we read a book called "The Hour that Changes the World" and its about spending an hour a day in prayer (or more). And it takes you through a cycle of prayer that helps you focus on things other than yourself or even the needs of others. It teaches you that while those things are important - we need to praise and worship him when we approach him - come to him with thanksgiving.

It was really an eye opener and looking back I can see a difference that it made in our home. Of course once you start going on your own and you don't have the accountability of a group to talk to (most) become slackers - so this was a great reminder to see that and to whip my spiritual self back into shape!

http://www.amazon.com/Hour-That-Changes-World-Practical/dp/0800793137/ref=pd_sim_b_1

InHisLight and DiamondRing

We often forget about prayer, but prayer help us build our relationship with God.

If you have any comments or question I will look forward to the fellowship and and the sharing of any information that will increase our understanding and our growth.

It will help us move the hand of God for people who need prayers answer, healing, and deliverance.

I starting writing a paper on prayer and it is 80% complete. I would like to share in brief with all of you.

The Main Topics are:

What is prayer?

Usages of prayer

How should we pray?

All of us can learn something about Prayer, from Jesus and the Apostle Paul. Parents can learn about praying for their children. Husbands and wives can find new life together as they learn to pray effectively one for the other. It can reach every soul for whom we care and release in them a new realm of living in Christ.

Prayer is a very important part of Christian life. You should be interested in this topic to have communication with God.

My paper cover a deficiency in Christian living, which prevents many Christians from obtaining spiritual maturity. The deficiency is the lack of proper attention to Prayer, devotion to proper prayer techniques and inappropriate request of God.

Some of the many questions Christians ask about pray are; why should I pray? How do I pray? What do I pray for? Who do I pray for? When do I pray? These unanswered questions, hinder us from coming to full maturity. I have highlight the deficiencies in our prayers and prayer behavior, which will help Christians’ identify and eliminate these obstacles in their lives.

What is Prayer?[/b]

Prayer is the act of communicating with a deity (especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving)

Prayer is the act of praying, or of asking a favor; earnest request or entreaty; hence, a petition or memorial addressed to a court or a legislative body.

Prayer is the act of addressing supplication to a divinity, especially to the true God; the offering of adoration, confession, supplication, and thanksgiving to the Supreme Being.

What is Supplication?

Supplication is the humble request for help from someone in authority or a prayer asking God's help as part of a religious service

Supplication is the act of supplicating; humble and earnest prayer, as in worship. It is a humble petition or an earnest request or entreaty .

One Look Dictionary Search

Webster's Revised Unabridged, 1913 Edition

One Look Dictionary Search

What is Prayer?

Hey really informative post, and according to me prayer is a some part of our life, the way food is a part of our life just as prayer is a part of our lives.

The lack of proper communication

You are right, we need prayer to nourish our spiritual lives.

The lack of proper communication with God in our Christian life can be a deficiency that prevents us from reaching Spiritual maturity.

God system of communication is built upon prayer. There is no activity in the life of a believer which does not require a prayerful attitude—a prayerful dependence on and an expectation that God is at work and will work according to His purposes and leading.

Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and delivered Himself up for me.”

Faith for a committed believer is expressed in intimate, prayerful living.

Prayer is a key element in our Christian lives that leads to spiritual maturity. We must know and understand why we pray, how to pray, what to pray for, who to pray for, and when to pray. These key elements will help us to mature as Christians.

Talking to God and communicating with Him so that we can grow our relationship with Him is a wonderful and miraculous thing, isn't it?

I read, The Power of the Praying Wife and my DH read The Power of the Praying Husband. The books made so much sense to us and had such an impact on our lives that we each (without the other knowing) gave them to another couple.

I gave the book to another wife-to-be and he gave the book to that woman's husband-to-be. The couple happened to be our son and his wife. They have been exercising what is taught in the books since the day they were married and sing God's praises for what they have because of the power of prayer.

Our DIL comes from a wonderful Christian family and her mom told me that they are so thankful for our son because he is the answer to their prayers. They have been praying

for him since the day their daughter was born. Isn't that wonderful?

Talking to God and communicating with Him so that we can grow our relationship with Him is a wonderful and miraculous thing, isn't it?

Yes it is a blessing from God, the gift of prayer.

Welcome to the site

The Main Topics are:

What is prayer?

Usages of prayer

How should we pray?

I starting writing a paper on prayer and it is 80% complete. I would like to share in brief with all of you.

The Main Topics are:

What is prayer?

Usages of prayer

How should we pray?

Any one have a question concerning prayer?

Do you need support in praying with a prayer group or team?

I am here to help

I would like to share in brief with all of you.

The Main Topics are:

What is prayer?

Usages of prayer

How should we pray?

[/font]

Some of the many questions Christians ask about pray are;

why should I pray? How do I pray? What do I pray for?

Who do I pray for?

When do I pray?

These unanswered questions, hinder us from coming to full maturity.

I have highlight the deficiencies in our prayers and prayer behavior, which will help Christians’ identify and eliminate these obstacles in their lives.

any questions?