Sign in to follow this  
NorthwestMom

Any other moms at-home with disabled child? Wanna talk?

Hi! I'm a stay-home (mostly) mom with a 13 year old developmentally disabled daughter. I do occasionally work- at her school as an ed. assistant. Being a substitute means I can stay home anytime she needs to (i:e, "that time of the month" :o or when she's sick or going to the doc) I've been at this for, obviously, several years now, and have never really found a place where I could connect with other moms- most moms of 13 year olds are talking about dating and such, my daughter is mostly nonverbal, but seems to think the changes happening to her are just funny!

So, anyone else in my situation? I was part of a parent-to-parent group, but it morphed into a pretty left-wing extreme group, probably because of the very-liberal area I live in. I'll check back here as often as I can if anyone wants to talk! Mary

Hi Northwest Mom!

I don't have any disabled children myslef but have a few friends that do. I live in Port Orchard, WA-- where do you live in the Pacific Northwest?

Dawn

I sometimes go down that way, my sister-in-law lives in Olympia. My sister Vickie Lives in Yelm and her son Josh attends Tumwater highschool. He goes there because they have a better sports program then Yelm, and someother reasons. I need to get my passport, but my husband and I have been talking about taking the kids for a litttle mini vacation to Victoria.

I am not sure why my site won't let you link.

God bless,

Dawn

Hi Dawn- too funny, my son goes to THS too! My husband and I have gone to Victoria a couple of times, they have a great winter rate package that includes the clipper ride and one overnight at the Empress- it's so empty it feels almost like being in your own castle! But, you gotta love cold weather, unless you spend the day in the Royal BC Museum.

I think the only trouble with the site link is that it's reading the incorrect "htpp" instead of "http"

Mary

Hello~

That is funny that your son goes there. My nephew is Josh Slater and was just filled a few weeks ago with the Holy Spirit. I wonder if your son knows who he is? He is a jock kid, he plays all the sports, but he isn't your typical 'jock"...he has a love for everyone. :p He has always had a heart of Gold. I do like the cold weather and the wind. Maybe not as much as we have been getting right now, but I find it relaxing to walk in the rain and feel the wind on my face. Our community shared pond and creek is just overflowing with all of the rain. We are in no danger where our house is from flooding, but it is to dangerous to go into the park area right now.

Do you guys have any flooding by you?

Hi- I'll ask my son if he know him when he gets home, but yes there's alot of flooding around us and I love it! I'm in a spot that doesn't flood, but the farms & wildlife preserve I drive through have all their pastures underwater. There's a herd of elk that come through every day, and they are wandering nearer the road to find high ground. And the ducks are just going gonzo!

TTFN, Mary

Hi again Dawn- nope, my boy doesn't know your nephew :( o well, it's a pretty big school. I saw in another thread that your last name is Townsend. Pretty funny, Townsend was my Mom's maiden name. I guess it's not exactly uncommon, though, LOL!

Glad to see the sun again, hope you weren't too affected by the windstorm!

Mary

Hello and good morning~

Yeah, we weren't hit too bad. Just lots of branches down in our yard and the power was out for the 2 days, but we have the woodstove to keep us warm and to cook on. It is a blessing that we have it. I couldn't imagine if we didn't. We did go over to my Sisters Chris before church on Sunday to take a shower. Townsend is a pretty popular name~ :o) I don't know too much about my husbands genealogy. I think that is something I should look into for the kids.

My husband would love to see your Elk for hunting season! :o) They are such majestic creatures~ and taste good too...

Blessings

dawndawn