christianmom

Do you Homeschool?

Do you Homeschool?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Homeschool?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

My girls are in a private school but it is just like homeschooling. I pay for someone else to do it. My husband and I do a lot with our girls to keep them thinking and implement anything that will help them in learning.

I admire those who homeschool but I definitely don't have the patience to do it. I've decided instead to work part time so I can seng my only child, my 10 yo son, to private Christian school.

Private School...

Hi ,

My girls are working with The Alpha Omega at this time. It may change next school year depending on the needs of the students.

I homeschooled my oldest daughter in K. It was okay but the workbooks went to quickly and I had so much time. I had to search for unit studies and make sure she got her physical education. There is so much to choose from. I would like it if there was just the basics straight across the board and then build on that. There is too many publishers and competition.

I have to settle within me that my girls are learning what they need to know. It still bothers me at times. Lord help me. :)

We are just finishing up our second year of homeschooling. My oldest child is 6 and is working on 2nd grade reading and math. My youngest is 4 and we will introduce her to some kindergarden material in the fall.

We love homeschooling so far, I cannot imagine sending them off to school all day!(although I sometimes day dream about what a day would be like all to myself!). We take it one year at a time, but I hope to school them at home through high school.

Katie

homeschooling

I just wanted to pass on the name of a book that is really wonderful in my opinion. I am going to homeschool and my daughter has just turned 4. My mother gave me a book entitiled

TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ IN 100 EASY LESSONS by Siegfried Engelmann. She is really enjoying it and it seems to be doing a wonderful job of teaching her to read. I believe she will be reading 1st or 2nd grade material by the time she is 5. The lessons only take15 to 20 minutes a day and she enjoys them, it also gives us some special time together every evening for her to look forward to. Thanks .

I've been working in the public school classroom of Southern California for the past two and a half years. Shortly after I began teaching, my husband and I made the decision to seriously consider homeschooling once our children get to that age. Although there is plenty of reason to be concerned over the moral climate of the CA public school, my main reason for wanting to home school is because I see first hand the tremendous waste of time and resources which I don't want to steal away from my child's education. Due to class sizes and teachers largely having their hands tied to regard to dealing with student misbehavior, students who act up or who are simply struggling take the majority of the teachers attention. Students who are doing well or merely not calling attention to themselves sit waiting, the precious learning moments melting away as they grow more and more tempted to behave in a way that might garned them some more attention. When children finish their work quickly, their options are to read or work on a brain-teaser type paper independently while they wait to be challenged or encouraged. Our class days are on average 6.5 hours long minus and hour plus for lunch and breaks... but then you have to count out time for all the "business" that needs to go on... transitioning from this to that, things like roll, re-explaining directions five times, distributing and collecting supplies, etc. The current classroom design in our area is geared to the student performing at just below average... I want my child to be challenged.

Our (my husband and I) thoughts at current are to homeschool through the elementary years (k-6). Of course, we haven't gotten to meet our child face to face yet and so no decisions will be final until we've gotten an opportunity to get to know her. If we do indeed end up homeschooling through the early part of her education, we plan to mainstream her into public school once the time seems right... factors we'll consider will be the maturity of our child, her goals and interests, whether the homeschooling has adequately prepared her.

We plan to allow the kids into the public schools because we feel that they are going to have to live in and deal with the world eventually and we'd rather have that happen when they are "safe" in our nest where my husband and I can be right there to guide, and provide support and discipline.

Well, my husband and I don't have any children at the moment, but when we start our family I would like to homeschool our child(ren) or send them to a Christian school. My husband on the other hand wants them to go to a public school. Hopefully by the time we start having child(ren) we will agree on what type of schooling.

We just started

this year. So far so good But I am having trouble finding a good structured circulum that I like. So I am just doing bits and pieces of things for now. The boys really like it and learn a lot from homeschooling.

I have seen Karsten doing very well as compared to when he went to school.

Any ideas for homeschooling children in Kindergarten and 1st grade?

Shawnee

We have been homeschooling off and on since 1985. I started when my oldest son was in the third grade and the teacher informed me that she didn't have time to teach him to read so I thought well I have time but I wasn't too sure I had the ability but after teaching 9 children to read, write and figure I guess I have the ability. Actually I'm still in the process of teaching my 7 year old daughter to read but she is coming along. Curriculum is so unimportant it is more the one on one attention and time spent with your children that is really the important thing. To relax and be a joyful mother are much more important than homeschooling curriculum and I have a shed full of curriculum. Dottie

We also home school. We have a 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. She is not reading yet and my Husband is conserned. Do any of you seasoned moms think that this should be something to be worried about? She is doing first grade math and I wonder if we should slow down with that and focus on reading... Any helpful hints would be appreciated!

katies3bugs

I learned to read very late 11 years old. All my children were also late readers and yet they have all learned to read. It is hard because most people believe that intelligience is the ability to regurgitate information that they have read. Which is the basis for so much of what goes on in school which is one reason I opted to homeschool. Dottie

Homeschooled and servived

I am a new mom. My son is just 8 months old, and yet I know that we will homeschool. I was homeschooled for most of my schooling, and loved it. It ment that I got to spend that extra time with my mom and dad, as well as my other four siblings. I wouldn't have changed it for the world, and I plan on giving my son and future children the same experience.

I have homeschooled my kids up until this year. I have so much that is happening that I don't feel as though I would do right by their education if I attempted to continue homeschooling. I was, however, very particular on the school they went to. Transfers are in and I love the staff. This next school year should be quite rewarding.

We don't homeschool our two boys (11 and 13) b/c God has called both of them to the public school ministry. My oldest son, Michael officially started a club in his school called S.W.A.T. Team Bible Club. S.W.A.T. stands for Students Witnessing Absolute Truth. The name is two-fold, it means Christian students are witnessing the saving message of God's Word through Christ daily in their lives as they die to themselves and live in Christ and it also means Christian students are witnessing to the lost students in their school so they may come to know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. Please visit http://www.swatbibleclub.com

This is what's on Michael's ministry card "If you meet me and forget me, you've lost nothing. If you Jesus Christ and forget Him, you've lost everything." Also, my youngest son, 11 is in the club and is one of the ten student officers of the club. It's the largest club in his school and we've got a school in MO and MS asking to open a chapter of SWAT in their school. Michael's prayer is that SWAT will be in every public school all over the world to reach the lost for Christ. What a large mission field God has given our two boys! God is AWESOME!

By the way, whether or not we homeschool, private school or public school our children, the decision shouldn't be based on our opinions, preferences of fears, but what God desires for them. We are all called to one purpose, to preach Christ, by word or deed. And only God knows where He made our kids to thrive. Let us grow where God plants us. ;)