Sign in to follow this  
nikkipooh79

Help...I can't seem to control what I eat!

Girls....I'm new here, but I'm looking forward to making some new friends :D

But basically...I can not seem to control myself when it comes to food. I just keep eating and eating, and its ALL junk food! I just had a baby 5 months ago, and I don't want to teach him my bad eating habits :(

I know that a big part of it is emotional eating, but I just can't seem to stop.

Please pray for me....and also, I'm open to any godly counsel on this ;)

I completely understand. Just yesterday I had yet another moment of feeling disgusted with myself because my eating habits feel almost compulsive. I know that for my health, the health of my children, and the future of my family I need to reign things in... but I do feel helpless an awful lot.

Get a copy of the Lose it For Life book and workbook, by Steven Arterburn and Linda Mintle. They really help you to figure out what are the root causes of our eating habits. They are Christians and explain that although the body has three legitimate hunger types (physical, emotional, and spiritual), we oftentimes try and feed all three with food. I started their book and then found out I was pregnant and kinda gave up on eating right because I falsely told myself that there was no point since I was going to gain weight anyway (yeah... right... like eating for my baby's health isn't important... but you know how we justify). Anyway, I've been really wanting to get back to where I left off because I was really beginning to learn and see change in my attitude.

Most important - flee from the idea that you can't control yourself. As a child of God you have His power in your tool belt and His grace is more than enough to conquer in this battle. I'll try and come back later and share some scriptures on this but for the moment I have to go. I will be praying for you!

Laurie

Hi Nikkipooh79!

I can totally understand where you are coming from! I struggle with my weight also. I need to lose 50 lbs at least, just so I'm healthy. Right now my wieght is so much I am putting myself at risk for serious health issues. I would love to have an accountability partner in this struggle with weight. If you are interested in that, please PM me and we'll talk about it.

Hope to talk to you soon! :)

I would love support in losing weight also. After I gave birth I lost 50 lbs. Then I stalled in weight loss. I still have 30-40 lbs to lose. I am unhealthy and need to lose weight to strengthen by body physically, but I also need more strength spiritually.

I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.

mommy2twins

I too struggle with this... it seems to consume way too much of my time, both eating out of control and then beating myself up over what I just ate! I am making some progress, I just finished reading Joyce Meyers book, Look Great Feel Great 12 Keys to enjoying a healthy Life Now excellent book! Also, thanks to Laurie's recomendation (thank you by the way:)) Lose It For Life I just started this book and I am excited about the changes that I see and feel happening in my heart and attitude. I also have some friends and my husband making this an item of prayer on my behalf and I know that is making a difference too. That was hard for me to admit and ask for from such people, but once I did, I sure was glad that I had!

So, I am not one to give much advice on this, as I am a working project myself, but I am here with the same struggles and I will pray for you as you are on this path too!

Janet

Janet, I think you hit the nail on the head in confessing your struggle with others and asking for their prayers. I think one of my biggest roadblocks is the fact that I deny to myself and to others the severity of my eating habits. I suppose it is a pride thing that successfully tempts me into keeping my mouth shut or only letting on in casual/joking ways. Pray for me that I will let truth prevail and that I will confess with my mouth and fully turn my will over to the Lord.

Laurie

Laurie,

Believe me when I tell you that it was not an easy thing for me to do, but I also know that I can not do this by myself. I know that I have strength through Christ and for that I am ever grateful, but I also know that I need to have people praying for me on my behalf. It is so hard to admit this to other people, but I started with my wonderful husband who was more than eager to be praying for me as he could see the hurt I have been going through because of my weight and unhealthy lifestyle. Then God provided me with the courage to ask 2 other people to start praying for my health and weight issues and I know that God is answering them as I can see small changes!

I would love to be a prayer partner to you if that is something that you are interested in? Just let me know, it seems that we might have more in common than we know!

Have a Blessed day!

Janet

I understand what you all are saying. I struggle with controling my eating after the kids go to bed at night. Sometime I look forward to that time alone and a big bowl of ice cream. I support all of you in my prayers.

Girls....I'm new here, but I'm looking forward to making some new friends :D

But basically...I can not seem to control myself when it comes to food. I just keep eating and eating, and its ALL junk food! I just had a baby 5 months ago, and I don't want to teach him my bad eating habits :(

I know that a big part of it is emotional eating, but I just can't seem to stop.

Please pray for me....and also, I'm open to any godly counsel on this ;)

Welcome to the site.

everyone said lot of good things. Try to read the word when you feel like eating. When you think eat, read the bible. This is going to be hard at first, but when you start you will find yourself replacing you natural food with spiritual food.

Amen.

Welcome

I find if I have to tell someone how I did the next day I do better. So I'd say getting an accountablity partner works. I also love to hear about others success. Knowing that others are doing well helps me to do better.

It's late and I am not sleeping. so abc I'm going to take your wise councel and go read God's Word. Thank you! May God bless you for caring.

I really don't have much motivation to lose weight.

Until I do, it's not going anywhere...

But I don't want weight to be such a big issue in my life, I don't want to spend a lot of time or energy making special foods for myself or get all hung up on it.

I guess I could always just make sure I have plenty of fruits & veggies around and MAKE SURE I EAT THEM! I don't, I get busy, wait till I'm really hungry to eat, and then I reach for junk instead because a hot dog is much more filling than an orange, isn't it? And I find cutting all those veggies is time consuming. Maybe it's worth it to spend the extra money for pre-cut stuff, what do you girls think? I guess it just needs to be considered along with the other important things I want to do (save money, for one!) :)

Maybe we can do something here as a group, so when we have time we can come & view posts.

Maybe we should hold each other accountable.

Maybe we should post reasons for weight loss.

Big one for me - if I lose weight, it may help me to conceive again.

Anyone else up for getting a group & doing this all together?

Kim H.

Count me in on such a group! I think it would be a great thing to have a place of accountability and encouragement. I will begin praying that if this is to be that it would a place of encouragement and uplifting to those of us who struggle with the weight issue. Keep me posted!

Ok, I'm taking my first step here, I did it again and didn't eat. Now I'm very hungry, but I am eating my Veggies first! I just had some zucchini, now I'm having spinach. I probably will still have a hotdog (I need to go food shopping!), but at least it will be ONE hotdog, not TWO. I think small changes will work for me. If I eat fruits & veggies before I grab junk, that's better than nothing! :)

Great Idea!

I started a program for my family we have to eat 2 veg and 2 fruits a day. We have a chart and mark it each day. They earn points for every day the get all their veggies and fruits in. It is my job to make sure that I have the fruits and veggies in the frige and ready to eat.

The kids are great about reminding me that we need our fruits and veggies.

We are going on vacation to AZ in Jan. So the family is working on walking to AZ before we fly. So each day as a family we try walking 1.5 miles. It doesn't happen everyday and now it is getting so hot it hard to get out. We did buy a treadmill a couple weeks ago and that helps the mileage chart. We have walk a total of about 100 miles. We have a ways to go. The down side of this is I have to keep track of all this.

I have in the last year lost 25 lbs by make small changes like this.

I do have 110 lbs to go :o . That number is overwhelming for me to look at.

It's great to be able to share the victories small or large with someone else. :D

Okay, count me in! Today I've already blown it, but for the remainder of the day I can do better! I know when I go more than 2-3 hours without eating I start obsessing about food and if I go more than 4-6 hours without, I want to eat everything in sight. So my goal is to eat more regularly, more fruits and vegies too. I also need to stock the house with more healthy choices. I have about 50 lbs to lose....I'd be pleased to get started on the first ten!!! Baby steps, and try not to look at the whole picture...it does feel so overwhelming at times....that I just go, forget about it, stupid mentality...so here's to slimmer days ahead! I'll be praying for us all!

Today was a good day.

Today was a good day. I thank God for this day. I jumped on the scale this morning and I lost 4 lbs this week :D I want to have a snack tonight, but it is better that I just read and go to bed. I am glad to see everyone still posting. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Sunday is tomorrow one of my hardest day.

May God bless your day tomorrow.

I did okay the rest of the day...I also went outside and played baseball with my daughter. It was so much fun! Then we had errands to run and got home extremely late, thought about eating a snack, decided not too, instead read. Great job my_3sons, what an awesome accomplishment!!! I will be thinking and praying for you tomorrow.

Sundays are tough. We go to church then I come home really hungry already. So cooking after I come home isn't an option, we pick up fast food. I should probably bring a snack to eat in the car after church, then I'll eat less at lunch. (Our service starts really early.) Probably some fruit would be really good, it travels well & won't need icepacks. I'm doing better at eating fruits/veggies. I love vegetables, but I'm usually on the run. Setting aside a half hour a few days a week to cut up and bag veggies & fruits for quick snacks would probably help a lot. Now to really DO it .........

Moo....lol :)

I am grazing today like crazy. Sunday's are hard. Tomorrow I will jump back on that old wagon. to quote a movie "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes" does anyone know the movie?

I was wondering how everyone else is doing.

How was Sunday for you,Kim? Did you do fast food or veggies?

I am heading out of town this week and I know it's going to be hard.

Riley'smom and stephaniew12345 how are you both doing?

Fast food :(

But I am increasing my veggies, which is good.

I'm just trying to add more good stuff to curb the bad stuff a bit, ya know?

I have to keep away from soda, so I bought flavored seltzer, which I like. No sugar or artificial sweeteners! Oh, trips are tough. I usually try to get a fridge in the room & put salad & yogurt & stuff in it. Maybe if you keep junk food out of the room.... watch those vending machines!

Have a good trip! :D

I'm doing better, much better...I've gone grocery shopping, which helps and have been working at not eating so late at night. Stephaniew12345 late night eating is one of my issues also. Last night at ten I really wanted to eat something....I opted to go to bed. It's really a struggle at times, but I know we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us....Kim H, I need to cut up those vegetables and fruits to have them handy. Lets make that our goal the next couple of days!

my_3sons I don't have a clue what the movie is, it's a great line though!

Thank you for all of your support, God bless you this week!

Moo....lol :)

I am grazing today like crazy. Sunday's are hard. Tomorrow I will jump back on that old wagon. to quote a movie "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes" does anyone know the movie?

"Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it...": Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. :) Yes, I'm a fan, too.

heidi

Thank You! I knew someone else was a fan!

My trip out of town was alot of fun and I relaxed, but I did gain 1.5 lbs back. I am trying to get back in to routine today and It's not going so well. I find that routine is key for me eating the same times every day. walking the treadmill the same time everyday and not letting myself talk myself out of doing these things.