Sign in to follow this  
ilovemotherhood

Halloween and trick or treating

49 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween and trick or treating

• Yes, I think it is harmless.
    • Yes, but I have concerns, reservation, doubts, etc...
    • No, we do other activities in place of trick or treating.
    • No, we do nothing for Halloween night.

My kids are too young yet so we haven't really faced this issue. That being said, I grew-up trick-or-treating; as an adult without kids I had strong feelings of avoiding Halloween; now that I have kids I get to feeling reminiscent and want to take them trick-or-treating. So, I'm not sure how we'll end up. I'd have more to say but I've got a baby starting to fuss...

Laurie

We don't "celebrate" Halloween or let our kids go trick or treating. We do however, see this day as an opportunity for ministry in our community. Our church holds a community outreach carnival over the weekend and kids are allowed to dress up so long as the costume is not 'evil'. On the actual night of halloween, we stay home and pass out tracks to trick or treaters.

I believe no matter what time of year it is there's always going to be good vs. evil out there. I grew up trick-or-treating and found it to be alot of fun, even in our church we had "Halloween" parties and dressed up. Great childhood memories! That being said we still get together with my family and have everyone over to help pass out Christian Tracks along with some goodies in cute treat bags. It's so much fun, sometimes when the urge strikes we dress up too and the kids are surprised when we answer the door! We pray on Halloween night that the tracks will plant seeds into those that receive them and for the safety of those trick-or-treating. Yes, we take our daughter trick-or-treating to our friends homes on Halloween night...this year she's going to be a white unicorn.

I have gone back & forth on this issue. My DD is too small yet, anyway. We recently bought her a plastic pumpkin because she liked it and has no idea what the backgrounds of Halloween are. And I don't think most people do. Personally, I believe it's just a conscience issue - like a food sacrificed to an idol - but we have to make sure we are not going against our conscience.

I am new to the forum and let my children (7 and 9 ) go out for Halloween because my husband is not saved and I am a new christian. I believe it is my job to keep peace in the home because my husband had a big problem with me leaving the Catholic church. We have always celebrated Halloween, so I let them still do it, however, I will not allow the kids to dress as anything that is evil -ghost, any bad character, mummy, vampire, etc. I have them dress as nice things such as Moses, good guys, animals, policeman, etc...My husband agrees with that aspect of my views. Our church as an alternative Halloween day that the children go to. (my husband is okay with it) They dress up as nice things and play games and get candy.

I dont think you are wrong for letting your kids go. I live in a small place and it is tradition for our kids to do that. My church does not look down on me. They do a big thing at the school and we go trick or treating there with everyone else. If you put the wrong reasons behind it then I think it would be wrong. Pray about it and God will let you know. God Bless

I allow my kids to trick or treat, I wasn't permitted to as a child it was evil and wordly but then again so was putting up a christmas tree. They aren't allowed to wear anything evil or bloody and gross. I think it is how you view it and how you celebrate it that matters

We have made it clear what we believe and told our kids that it is ok to go out on Halloween and dress up for fun and get some candy. But they know that is all it is to us...just another funny night.

I always loved trick-or-treating as a child. It was the highlight of the year. Getting to dress up, loading up on candy... It was never a matter of spiritual things, it was a matter of having a good time. As I got older, I must admit, that I delved into things that I never should have, but by the grace of God, I returned intact. However, now I know exactly what Halloween represents, and the symbolism of it all. That being said, I am now a mom, and this Halloween my little one will be old enough to go trick-or-treating for the first time. Will I let her? I'm still not sure. Really, it's no different than letting your child go Easter egg hunting, or even pretending that Santa Claus visits at Christmas and delivers presents. It's all pagan. So yeah, probably. It's not as though WE'RE celebrating the day in the way the pagans do. It's just a night of fun and childish innocence. At least, it should be.

Rhyme and Reason is just such a better song musically and lyrically. Halloween is cool, but after hearing it twice, I could go without it. R&R I would take at every show though. There are so many better songs that I would rather see over Hallo