Sign in to follow this  
NorthwestMom

How old is your house?

about 16 years old, and showing it's age. I'd love to live in a house that was 100+ years old. Grandma's house was built by great-grandpa 100 years ago, my cousin has it now. But I loved to crawl up in the attic and look at the things that great-gram had stashed up there, old magazines and such. Then again, I'm a huge fan of indoor plumbing!

In a hidden space in the house next door to the one I grew up in, a fellow found beer bottles and (shock!) playing cards! Must have been from prohibition era? There is also a house we used to drive by, my dad would tell us about how it had a still built into the walls from prohibition. Now, how did he know that I wonder?

How old is your house?

Thought this would be a fun and interesting question.

I live in an area of Southern California where not much of anything is older than 40 or 50 years, aside from a restored or abandoned farm house or two scattered about. Our home was built in 1984 and is your typical track housing from that decade. Whenever I have occasion to be in an area where the residential buildings are older I find it fascinating to imagine living in a building that has been around longer than I have (I know... simple things for simple minds).

I'd love to hear about the homes that you all occupy.

Laurie

Well my home is about 1 and a half years old. LOL It is a Fema trailer we got after the storm. It is not the best of living space but it is a home. There are still peole in New Orleans that do not have one. Hopefully we will be getting a real home soon. Hey at least it is new.LOL

How are you doing there with your little ones? My son is going out with our church's next reconstruction team, maybe he'll get you help your family, how cool would that be?!?

two years ago my husband and I bought a house that was almost 12 years old. We knew that the quality wasn't great, but it came with hardwood floors that went thru-out the entire house and a great big 1.5 acres level yard. It had an in law quarter but we needed the space so we took knocked down walls and converted it into another living space. Boy what a project. I believe the entire time we were there it was a mess. We enjoyed the home for one year and had to move to be closer to family. So we recently bought a 30year old home. At first I didn't want to buy a home with so much history. But after looking around, homes nowadays, are not built with very good quality, not here anyway. And this neighborhood was the hot spot b/c it's so close to everything. Originally, when we first looked at the home, we were still undecided, then someone made an offer. :( We were kicking ourselves b/c afterwards we could not find a home at a great price and that we really liked like that one. Well, amazingly, thru the grace of God, the offer did not go so we had another chance and we took it. two months later, we've moved in and loving it. it's older and needs some updating but we like home projects so once the Lord provides us the money, that'll be our plan.

I don't know if I'd want a 100yr old home though. ;)