Sign in to follow this  
God's Blessings

Special needs/handicap

How about the ideal of having a thread for special needs or handicap in the family. I have a special needs 5yr old and am just starting to get more involved with her schooling and at times there are moments that I worry that not enough is being done for her. We are told so much of what rights we have and don't have when it does come to her schooling that it can be very frustrating. And my husband and I want to make sure we are doing things that will help her even at home. Suggestions from other moms in this kind of situation might help for many others.

I will help in any way I can. I have been on a school board and know some of the laws and rights you have for your child. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thank you Mumsy for your response. I guess right now I am more worried about making sure that she gets the help that I want her to have. When school starts up again in Sept we along with the school will be keeping an eye on her for a learning disability if she has one. Right now she is in PPI with speech 1-2 times a week about a half hour each time. I guess I am more worried if there is a learning disability and my husband and I want more done but then are told that this is all they have available will we have a struggle? Even now I feel that what speech she is getting is not enough, not necesarily in speaking at all but understanding and comprehending language and direction following. One of my girlfriends just went through this type of situation and is what is bringing up my worries.

I guess right now I don't even know what questions I want to ask, she is our oldest-5yrs old-and she has been in school since she was 31/2. She has done remarkably well and has improved so much from where she was but my husband and I still see her below her age level and I think it is I that worries more-maybe too much. Both my husband and I also had learning disabilities and it was hard for us growing up and neither of us want her to go through all the struggles we went through. One thing I keep trying to tell myself is that much has changed with what is availalbe than when we were kids.

Sorry so long I guess I am venting more than I am asking questions. Again I am not even sure what I want to ask or what I should be asking. We have our meeting with the school next week to determine what schedule she will be put through so we could use prayer on this. To make sure whe will get the most of what she needs...

You can vent anytime!! It sure helps!! Let me know how your meeting with the school goes next week. We can go from there. I know there is a lot of state aide for disability children. Make sure she is getting her share of help with it.

Let me know and also, know that I am praying for you!