Sign in to follow this  
broken beloved

Help, My Daughter Wont Sleep At Night!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get a 10mth 4 wk old who has learned to stand and sit up in their crib to go to sleep at night. My daughter is starting to sit up after we put her down for the night, and she starts sitting up and wailing like not tomorrow and I dont know what to do. If anyone has any advice, ideas, anything that could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Hi there beloved.

The questions I would be asking myself are:

1. How is she sleeping during the day? Is there any reason she might not be sleeping well at night because of day time sleep patterns?

2. She is getting older... almost a year old now, right? So does she need a more established bed time routine to help calm her down? A bath, speacial baby lotion or powders, a book or two, some songs... you get the idea. This routine can make ALL the difference in the world.

3. What has been your response? It won't take long for her to figure out that if she cries long enough, she'll get what she wants. This has always been the hardest part for me as a mom, but if I stick to my guns, I see reward. I have in the past, waited when the crying started. I would actually have to set a timer for myself because I struggled with thinking it had been soooo long! :eek: That alone helped me. After 5 maybe 10 minutes I would go in. But I would try not to speak much or make eye contact. No lights, minimul distractions. I would pray, but that was the most I would speak. In this way, the child knows I am not there to entertain or give sympathy that would encourage the undesireable behavior. After a few minutes reasurance, I would go out and pray for the best. Sometimes having to go in again, but usually not. Mine and my husbands same response each time usually brought about the needed change.

That's my approach. I hope you get some sleep! :D;)

She usually gets two naps during the day. There usually 1-2 hrs. long. She goes down ok, not to much of a fuss. And she is almost a year old now and we try to stick to the same routine. She gets a bath at night, and then a bottle and a book. Then my husband and I pray a blessing over her, turn off the lights, turn on her music player, give her her bear and walk out the room. Most time she will cry for a little bit and then just go out without me needing to go in there. But lately since she's learned how to stand up, she gets right up and starts crying and jumping up and down. Last night I waited about 10-15 min, before going in and she was crying and coughing and jumping. I tried laying her down again and giving her the bear. I prayed over her and put her music player back on and she just got right back up and took hold of the railing on the crib and started wailing again.

I still havent figured out if she is a cuddly baby/sensitive baby or what...I could get her to calm down for anything, finally I held her and spoke the name of Jesus over her and she began to calm down, but when I went to lay her down again, she errupted.

I dont know what to do. I'm still trying to figure out this whole weaning off the bottle thing without it killing us both. I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed at the moment and I dont know what to do.

Thank you HISstrengthinMe, its nice to know that I'm not the only who has had to fight this battle. I do have to admit, I'm not good about the no talking thing. Thats the first thing I do. I dont have much control over the lights in our bedroom. We live in a one bedroom appartment, so her crib is in our room, but with the lights off the blinds dont keep out the day light so it could be 8:00pm here and it's bright out, so the room is bright. Maybe I could hang up a sheet or something. I can try that.

Thanks again

Ever heard of NyQuil!!?? Totally kidding!!

Seriously, we went through the same thing with our 1st daughter (same age too!), our approach was to let her cry it out. We had a day bed in her room and one of us would stand at the bed for a minute, then sit on the bed, then she would sit and stare at us through the bars, (no talking!), then we might lay on the bed, and then she would stare some more, and then she would fall over asleep!! It took about a week or so. It's so hard I know.

Basically when she would cry we would go get her and she figured out that

she could get out of bed that way! So my friend, (who has six kids), pointed that out to me one time when I was complaining about her not going to sleep at night.

So, hope this helps or at least lets you know you're alone!!

My DD is 3 & 1/2, and we went through similar things when we started putting her in the "big girl bed". It just took her a little time to adjust. I think she was fine in a week. We let her have some special dolls in her bed, and put in a nightlight. I think that made her content and settle down. We would just go in and tell her to lie back down when we heard her getting out of bed. Sometimes she'd walk around a bit, but she was pretty quiet about it.

Your daughter has just learned something new, I think it's just going to take a little time for her to get used to it and settle down. It shouldn't take too long. (At least, in my experience it didn't, even when DD was having fears of strange things like suits of armor.... :p:rolleyes: )

Let us know how things go.

It's funny because through this interesting time of adjusting God has been reminding me and teaching me that I am no in control and that it's not my job to control things, or my daughter but to entrust them to Him and be obedient to what He tells me. As for my daughter, I'm called to love her and nurture her and I found myself getting angry not just frustated but straight anger and the Lord's been showing me that she doesnt do things on purpose because she knows how to, but she's learning and growing and I need to rely on Him for strenght and patience. Just like He is patient with me when I do things out of His will whether deliberately or not.

She has been doing alot better. I stayed in the room with her one night and I just stood by her crib, I didnt day I word I just stood there with my hand hanging down in the crib and every now and then she would reach out and hold my hand and then roll over and eventually when she was tired enough I left the room and she went out. It's getting better, but you all are right, it takes time.

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement, I was feeling like I was gonna go insane for a minute :eek: but I'm learning more than I thought I would. Praise God

Just think, (hopefully for you!), this trial with her will be over in a week or 2 and you'll be onto something else! It's such a roller coaster, isn't it?!!

I know exactly what you mean about the getting angry part and then when you think about it, it's seems silly, they really don't know what they're doing.

I guess we just get frustrated because things aren't going smoothly like we would like? That's how I feel anyway.

We really have to remind ourselves that they are learning just as we are with things. Hope things keep getting for you!!!

my daughter is doing better now. She is sleeping better at night and now I think we may be doing one long nap during the day instead of trying to force two naps a day. So yeah, praise Jesus, because I was going to lose my mind but He saved me!!! YEAH for Jesus.......:D

That's great!

I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if it wasn't time to do one nap instead of two. That is a really good idea and will likely solve most of the problem.

Here's to more sleep! In Jesus Name!!

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get a 10mth 4 wk old who has learned to stand and sit up in their crib to go to sleep at night. My daughter is starting to sit up after we put her down for the night, and she starts sitting up and wailing like not tomorrow and I dont know what to do. If anyone has any advice, ideas, anything that could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I used peppermint oil from the health food store, she will sleep like a baby.

I use it for me and for my daughter.

Put it on the pillow, all natural peppermint oil, no sugar.

She will knock out and you will be happy, no side effects.

I breast feed my daughter and I use to put it on my chest, she would sleep and I would sleep.

We went through horrible sleep issues with my 2 year old when he was that age, and I highly recommend " The No Cry Sleep Solution", its basically a method on how to get your child into a consistent bedtime routine. Very helpful! The key is to be consistent.

Good luck!

I am there too with my 6yr son. He likes to listen to stories, so he borrowed my mp3 player tonight after I downloaded the Narnia(lion witch and wardrobe)and it's actually working. When he came out, I gave him a choice whether to give me the player or go to bed..he chose to go to bed..he is sleeping now..

momof3sons, thats soo cool. I love Narnia! It's funny my daughter is now 18mths and she loves going to bed simply because once we put her down, she pops up and starts talking to her stuff animal till she falls alseep. I think she enjoys the time with toys in the dark. It's really funny listening to her talk while we're downstairs. It's more babbling than talking but it's all the same to her

Help My Daughter Wont Sleep At Night

Thanks for the clarification, I wasnt totaly sure and this make a difference if you are getting close to the 2 boat length zone when you tack