Sign in to follow this  
onehotmama

Has anyone tried the Weigh-Down Diet?

Has anyone tried the Weigh-Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin?

Her "diet" theory really involves filling up the hole in your heart with God and not with food or anything other addictions like alcohol, drugs, sex, shopping, etc.

I bought the book about five years ago and was frustrated with the whole "just stop eating when you're full" idea so I sold it at a yard sale. Then last year I found it at a book sale for a dollar and thought I'd give it another try.

I just started reading it again tonight and a lot of it totally makes sense to me. I would really like for it to work.

Has anyone had any experience with this program or any other Christ-centered programs?

I've tried First Place, too

I need to mention that I've tried the First Place program, too. I think it has a lot of potential but my situation was awful.

I was a new mom to an 18-month-old and I had been a Christian for 16 months. I really hungered and desired to fill my heart with things of the Lord instead of turning to food. I paid $90 that I couldn't really afford to take the program at the YMCA.

When we watched the introductory video during our first session, I was excited about the praise and love for Jesus that was emphasized and ready to get started! Our leader turned off the video after a few minutes and said, "Well, I'm a Presbyterian so I'm not into all that Jesus stuff." Then she focused all our sessions on weighing in and counting exchanges without any of the Bible study. I only lost 6 pounds and I was so discouraged. I wish I had asked for my money back.

Anyone had any experiences with Weigh Down, First Place or other Christ-centered weight loss programs?

I haven't tried Weigh down or First Place program. But what I did was I went to my nutritionist and she gave me this recipe book called Quick and Healthy. She talked about lifestyle changes. She told me a diet is only for a while and then a person tends to go back to their old eating habits. I'm suppose to keep a journal when I did I lost 50 lbs. Then working on a job where all I did was key in stuff and my hours where night sift threw me off my eating program. I slowly gained all my weight back It is good that you want some Christian based program where you keep your mind fixed on Jesus. Although I do vividly remember something about a program that was Christian based but I can't recalled the name. Where every time you felt hungery you would read scripture. Wait I think I had it but I can't remember the name. I'll look for it to see if I still have it. And I will post the name of it.

Momofateen

I LOVED the Weigh Down Workshop - lost 30 pounds in 12 weeks and kept it off for nearly 6 years (before I got pregnant again). I just finished reading "Kiss Dieting Goodbye" by Elliott Young. It's Christian, health oriented, and stresses making the better choices.

Shamblin tells you that everything is okay in moderation - which is true. And that goes for most everything in our lives, but we have to make the "better" choices in order to push ourselves to that next level.

The best part about Weigh Down is the love and support you get from the people around you. If you have that, then you can move mountains ;).

I would love to lose weight, but I cant justify paying all that money for one of those programs!! I tried Atkins eww wound up in the hospital having my gallbladder removed. That has been the only way I have successfuly lost weight.

When this semester starts back( on MONDAY} I am keeping my gym membership and using it.

Hopefully it will work, along with not having enough time to eat. LOL

I have the Weigh Down Diet book too. I really like what it says. I feel like the best method is giving it all to god. I quit smoking 3 years ago this way. When I would get a craving, I would just pray and pray and pray! I have learned that with food it is so much harder. We have to eat, unlike drinking or smoking. If I try to do things in my own skin, I fail. Also, I know my lifestyle has to change, for good, so that is another thing I have problems with. I did jot down some of the scriptures that she used in her book, and writing them down for me does seem to make it stick a little better in my mind. I am going to have to run out to the car and get that book!!! LOL!

Mel

Uh, although I did like the Weigh Down Diet, I would caution people about the author, after her success with that book, well, I believe that she sort of left her Christian foundation and began what many would call a cult. So although I read and did like her book and found it biblically based, just a caution I wouldn't read or look for anything new by her, as when (its been several years) I did see the website and info on her "new" church, it definately sent up red flags.

Pastorswife, thanks for bringing up the issue of controversy surrounding Gwen Shamblin. I googled her and I read a lot of those "warning...danger!" red flags you mentioned. I actually haven't looked at her book again since I initially posted about it. God is doing an amazing work in me where He is helping me control my sugar intake. It is totally HIM! It's not something I could do on my own and it's not something that anyone else could do for me.

I went to Weight Down classes almost 10 years ago, I was actually skinny then (well maybe "normal"), I went b/c I needed the socialization. But I don't think I would've lost weight if I needed to... I'm more of a eating healthy, exercising type dieter (I lost babyweight with Nutrisystem and WW)... Also it bothered me that she herself had never been overweight kind of.......

I've found that praying through Scripture and looking at what I'm believing about food is the best thing I can do to stop eating so much. I discovered that I believe a lot of lies about eating that make me want to eat.

For example, when I'm tired I might think, "Eating a little bit will perk me up." The truth is that eating might perk me up for a short while, but in the long run, it makes me tired. Exercise or a nap would do a better job of perking me up and it would be better for me!

Barb

I've never tried any actual diet out there, if you eat in moderation, have portion control and exercise than you'll loose weight. It will become a habit and it will stay off. Most these diet plans work but once the weight is gone you usually gain it back. We need carbs, sugars, proteins. We just don't need a ton of them. Easier said than done I know.

I am hesitant to do a diet because I tend to rebel any rigid set of restraining rules, and end up stressing myself to the point of eating more because of it and stepping out from under God's Grace and His peace in my life. I am reading Joyce Meyer's Look Great Feel Great, 12 keys to enjoying a Healthy Life and God has really been ministering to the root of the problem through it. I am only half way through it though.

If will power were enough to deliver ourselves from our sins, we would have no need for our Deliver, Jesus Christ. Underlying root issues are the cause of overeating and you must allow God's Holy Spirit entrance into those places of your heart that need His healing touch and allow Him to counsel the very depths of your soul and follow Him out of the darkness, exposing in His light the deep rooted pain buried inside in order to overcome the problem and uproot the weed causing the unbalance. Couple that with some reeducation in cooking methods and what are healthy foods, (we have had much success with a return to Biblical foods, following a Jewish Kosher diet-although I still do eat bacon and ham occasionally-but it must be only occasionally and usually in a salad) as well as exercise and Biblical confession of Faith and you are well on your way to living a balanced and healthy life.

I have never heard of this..I will suggest though that you try to have better will power..now that you see what your problem is.

If you don't eat wheat then you don't eat all those sticky, fatty goey cakes, you don't eat junk food, and you don't eat biscuits.

My doctor says those who do not eat whole grains are twice as likely to develop severe depression, the brain needs good wholesome whole grains, I would not suggest ever completely giving up whole grains without consulting a doctor. Wheat, if allergic to, can be replaced with other whole grains of course. You also get much fiber from whole grains for good digestive health. Just avoid white flour as much as possible.

Edited by DiamondRing

I think it is terrible the standards the youth have, I was at Target today and a teenage girl walking with her mom in front of me and my son, I said something to my son that for some reason made her turn around and noticing me behind her, looked at me, scrunched up her nose as she looked me up and down, then tugged her mom's arm and asked her mom if she had gotten that fat while pregnant with her, the mom actually turned around and looked me over, but she did nod and say yeah probubly and the teen winced and said, well as long you got skinny again I guess.

It really hurt me inside b/c I have been working so hard, being so very careful to eat a healthy balanced diet and excercise throughout this pregnancy, I have only gained 10 lbs. so far and I am at 32 weeks and my doctor is happy with my weight and says I am measuring great, baby is estimated at around 7 lbs. so baby is growing fine and well, but I am not gaining excess weight, yet this snotty kid turns her nose up at me and calls me fat. I understand that teens have an obesity problem in thier generation, but I sure wish the "war" on fat would not go this far.

I do not tried Weigh-Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin but i use my own diet programs like use the food that is good according to me and use that kind of exercises which i can do easily. but dear i will try to read this theory.

Eat anything, lose weight

I am dropping about 3 pounds a week and have been for quite some time now with no end in sight until I'm all the way down to my God given size. I read Beth Moore's book called Praying God's Word. I now only use the Bible and turn scripture into my own personal prayers. I applied this method to my struggle with food. During Easter holiday I ate cheese cake, brownies, carrot cake, pigs in blankets, chocolate candy, meatballs, sausage, cream cheese treats, pecan pie, baked bread... got the picutre? No restrictions and still lost 3 pounds that week too. How? I prayed that God would set me free from my addiction to food and specifically from overeating. I eat extremely small portions. Starting at 230 pounds, I never thought I could exist on the portions I'm eating now. I have learned to slow down and chew my food and stop when I feel slightly full. I wait until my stomach is growling before I eat and have completly cut out my late night snacking. Whom the Son has set free is free indeed. I bow to His authority and cruxify my flesh . I submit to His will and deny my own. I feel great and know that I finally found the answer after 2 decades of dieting only got me fatter and fatter. Praise His Name.

I just heard of a book called Made to Crave. It is all about how women are made to crave things, but rather than craving food, lets refocus and crave God. It looked VERY interesting! I did some research and found that the christain singer Mandisa has used it, and read other positive remarks.

I would like to hear from others who have the book and see what they thought.

Wow! That book sounds interesting also. So this book focus' on praying through the food addictions?

I always like to take natural and organic diet to control my weight.

If you use raw veggies diet or a water diet plan then you can get better results for your weight loss rather than using any weight loss supplements or processed diet plan for the weight loss.

Edited by Morria