Sign in to follow this  
gmcshand

Playmate Etiquette advice needed

Hi Everyone,

I am struggling with an issue regarding a neighborhood child, hoping someone has some good advice. There is an 11 year old boy who moved into the neighborhood last year. He seems to be unsupervised in the afternoons and wanders the neighborhood looking for playmates. Last year he came over frequently, but always wanted to stay for hours to be fed, entertained, and use our computer and Xbox. His behavior is not great and my son wants to imitate everything he does. My son is 7, and I think he is too young to be playing with this older child, but he does not understand why I don't want this other child over everyday. I want to do the "christian" thing, and I hate to turn a child away, but I cannot deal with this child everyday. I have spoken to the parents and frankly, they seem unwilling to provide supervision and entertainment for their child and see nothing wrong with turning him out every afternoon to wander the neighborhood. Am I being unchristian in not wanting this child at my house everyday? I feel like we have to hide in our house because this child always approaches my son when we go outside and then I end up "babysitting" for yet another afternoon and evening...

Advice please :confused:

I don't think your feelings about this child are unchristian. You have to watch out for and protect your own child from any bad influence. You need to be very assertive with this child and his parents. Simply tell him, "We can't play right now, it's homework time, family time, quiet time...etc." Tell him he needs to go home and do his own homework, playing, reading, spending time with family, etc.

It sounds like this boy is really bored and lonely. While I would definitely enforce time away from him for at least a couple of weeks, you may want to try inviting him over for a family dinner, movie, game night, etc. Introduce him to how things are done in a Christian family, such as prayer, Bible reading, respect for parents, saying "m'am" and "sir", watching appropriate shows and playing appropriate games. You may want to invite his family to church. This would be especially good if your church has graded Sunday School and then the boy can make good friends his own age.

Most importantly, pray for this child and ask God what he would have you do in this situation. I'm sure God's plan is not for you to be a reluctant babysitter. Children need limits, so begin setting some for this child and yours. Let us know if the situation improves any. You're in my prayers.

What a great opportunity that God has place before you. You have been chosen to lead this child to Christ. You have be chosen to teach this child about Jesus.

Take his hands and pray with him.

Tell him these words and have him repeat after you.

Jesus come into my heart

Take away my sins

Write my name in the book of life

Give me the Holy Spirit

In Jesus name Amen.

Then when he comes to your house give him the bread of life, the gift of Jesus.

The word of God, the Bible the bread from heaven, the standards that we all live by.

Bits and peices..............

Now he will follow and you just keep teaching.

Christainity is about spreading the word.

Hi Everyone,

I am struggling with an issue regarding a neighborhood child, hoping someone has some good advice. There is an 11 year old boy who moved into the neighborhood last year. He seems to be unsupervised in the afternoons and wanders the neighborhood looking for playmates. Last year he came over frequently, but always wanted to stay for hours to be fed, entertained, and use our computer and Xbox. His behavior is not great and my son wants to imitate everything he does. My son is 7, and I think he is too young to be playing with this older child, but he does not understand why I don't want this other child over everyday. I want to do the "christian" thing, and I hate to turn a child away, but I cannot deal with this child everyday. I have spoken to the parents and frankly, they seem unwilling to provide supervision and entertainment for their child and see nothing wrong with turning him out every afternoon to wander the neighborhood. Am I being unchristian in not wanting this child at my house everyday? I feel like we have to hide in our house because this child always approaches my son when we go outside and then I end up "babysitting" for yet another afternoon and evening...

Advice please :confused:

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I was really looking for some validation that it was OK to set limits regarding this child. (Thanks onehotmama). With regard to what abc posted, we have been making sure this child is exposed to a Christ-centered family through prayer at dinnertime, talking about Jesus, bible study time and the like.

thanks again

One thing that worked for my mom when I was a kid was this. When some kids would come over to my house to play, they would always want to play the video games. My mom suggested this, she said put away the games and tell them that you have to go outside to play, so I did. They didn't stay around, they were only comming over so they could play the games.

So when the boy comes by, tell them that they cannot play on the computer, xbox, or anything else. It could be that he wants to just use your son for these type of things? I hope that isn't the case, but it could be. Everyones comments are soooo great. I hope you the best of luck.

Mel