Sign in to follow this  
Lissajayne05

Emotional Eating & Eating Disorters???

Does anyone one else out there suffer from emotional eating or a eating disorter? How do you cope? I have come to terms that I suffer from both. It is so hard and my husband says,"Just don't eat," but I can't seem to stop. It is hard for someone who isn't overweight to understand. It is so much harder than anything that I have ever done before in my life. We have to eat, unlike drinking and smoking etc. My husband and I stopped smoking about 3 years ago, but this is hard, because I can't stop eating!

Does anyone have any good scripture that you go to for weight loss, etc???

I have read some different christian diet books (Weigh Down Diet, Thin Within,etc) and they all have a lot of good scripture.

I did have a small revelation today. My husband and I had a small spat, and there I was, thinking of what I was going to eat (to comfort my hurt) and I caught myself (first time I realized it) and said, "no, I am not going to eat anything! All of the emotion that I was feeling (and wanting to cover up)came out, and I just stood there in the bathroom and cried. It was good to have that kind of revelation, and I thank god so much for it.

Melissa

Lissajayne05,

Pray with me

Father, we come to you this night seeking your will and way

Father, we come asking for forgiveness of our sins

Father, we come lift our problem with eating disorder up to you.

Father, we come asking for your stenght to help us be set free from this situation

Father, we pray for women all over the world and the one we see day to day

that are struggling with eating.

Father, help us to eat the way you have design our mortal bodies to eat.

Father, help us with our problems, struggles, and disappointment for we know these are the real problems that lead us to eat.

Father, by you Holy Spirit give us strenght this day in Jesus name. AMen

I pray that God will give you supernatural power to overcome. In Jesus name AMen.

Yeah I have been suffering from the identical problems lately. I solely believe prayers will not help me in overcoming this situation. In my case my husband and the other members of the family have completely stopped conversing with me and I know its me who is got to be blamed for this. I can never refrain myself from eating irrespective of the infinite times I have resolved not to. Perhaps some practices that allow controlling the mind will provide me some help. I am in a mess do not know how to overcome from this current situation.

I too have been struggling with overeating when ever I am emotionally stressed, or even just because I really love the taste of something. One thing that God has shown me..... and in all honesty, it is hard to sometimes say no even after( it really is a struggle)..... is this.. God showed me that when I get to the point where I know that I am full and I continue to eat even more, I am turning over to gluttony. This becomes an act of will on my part. There are times when I hear that voice in my head.... "Don't eat more your full", then the other voice say, "Oh your so stressed" or, "It tastes so good".... and I will still continue. I didnt used to have this struggle but it to has been very bad recently. I think it becomes a tactic of the enemy to make us feel...... defeated. At least for me. I always start to feel bad when I know that I have not excercised self control, and my mood after words :o For me it really turns into an obedience issue. Whether I chose to obey my flesh even when I know it is not good for me, or when I feel God has lovingly let me know, it is time to stop...And I listen.

Just another area where we need to choose what is best in that moment and listen to the voice of our heavenly Father.....everything He does is out of Love..;)

I struggle with this too

I struggle everyday with this. I am a very emotional person and food tends to be my comfort. i know that it is very hard to say no adn not to run to that but it is a test daily of willpower and strength and I find that if I ask God to show me what it is I need to work on instead of just eating ehtn I find the way and He gives me the power to say no and to absorb my energy into doing something productive.

Right there with you all. One thing I have noticed that makes an impact is accountability. There have been a few times when I've partnered with another woman with the intention of reporting what I ate and why - and in journaling for another person I have learned a lot about my habits, my weaknesses, and good ways out from under the temptation - and after each time I have walked away with modest changes that I've been able to carry. I'm kinda coming to a point where enough is enough though and, following the example of a friend of mine, I am in the process of writing a webpage to post what I've eaten and why so that a larger number of friends and family can simultaneously encourage me in walking the straight and narrow. I'm not set to "go live" till this Tuesday but I am excited about the possibilities based upon what I know of myself and my previous experience. God is just really calling me to a place where he's making it clear that this is something that requires His body of believers to rally around and make it happen. I realized one day that if I managed to get things under control in the privacy of my prayer closet then it very well would rob God of some of the glory because people would simply see the result and congratulate me - but I know I can't do it. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

I also agree. I am addicted to food. It is not looked at the same as drugs or smoking but it is still deadly. I deal with this everyday. It is a struggle. I am trying to deal w/ it bit by bit. But it is very hard. I am praying and am trying to kill my flesh. One thing that has worked...put a plate of fruit/vegetables on the table. If I am going to eat a lot, why not let it be something good for me. It also allows me to let my girls, eat something good for them. Also when I study, (i'm working on my masters degree) i can eat all of the grapes i want.:)

My website is active. If anyone would like to go take a look around, maybe join my team of supporters, you're welcome. Please send me a pm if you'd like the link (which I'll happily share with any of you that request it... your act of requesting is the full screening process).

Just wanted to note for those who haven't popped over to my site, the strategy has been a success! I've lost five pounds in four weeks without restricting my food intake at all other than to obey my appetite instead of my emotions. I haven't really been exercising (besides the built in of caring for two little people) - I figure that if I can get into a routine of physical activity, I could easily lose 2 pounds a week.

I know how everyone feels. I have just this week rejoined the Weight Watchers group. I get so frustrated with myself. I have lost weight and put it on and then some. I eat when I get bored then I have a problem with eating too much as well. I keep reading the scriptures in the Bible that talk about gluttony and self control. When it comes to eating I have a hard time letting the Holy Spirt take the lead. Please pray for me. I will be praying for you all as well.

missangie

we are loved just the way we are..........

A friend of mine sent me this email. I thought it might bring some encouragment to all of us here on the site. ;)

The ghost of discontentment with ones figure haunts more than just the women who think they are overweight. I have been haunted by this ghost for years. I am supposedly underweight compared to the charts. I have always been petite and no matter how much I eat, I cannot seem to put the weight on. I tried so hard to please the world and make the charts by eating more and lifting weights. I wanted to have the Jessica Simpson figure. I envied her and other women who have "legs." I labeled myself as having no legs and no butt.

This however produced nothing but an empty discontentment. Why? Because I was trying to find my worth...my identity in how I looked and how the world viewed me. I also dressed a certain way in order to get attention.

I am very petite and small boned. I am five foot four and cannot seem to rise above one hundred pounds. This is something I have come to accept and not just accept but embrace. God made me and each of you with different personalities and physiques for a reason and His reasons are good. Because God doesn't make mistakes.

I believe one of the reasons He made me the way I am is because of my husband. Scott loves petite. I have asked him time and time again if he thought I was too skinny. And he still cannot understand why I would think he wouldn't like me. After all, God fashioned me for my husband. So it doesn't really matter what any other man or woman think of my outward appearance. IT only matters what God and my husband think. And I know that God is pleased with me because I am His finely crafted creation, just as you are.

Man looks at the outward appearance, God looks at the heart. When God chose David as King of Israel He didn't choose his strong older brothers. No. Because he saw through the man to the heart. He chose David because David was a man after God's own heart.

I just wanted to encourage you all too embrace your inner and outer beauty as a gift from God. Every person on this earth bares a special part of God's image. I am going to make a more conscious effort of looking for the beauty of God's majesty in each person including myself. I think it will also prove good to compliment people on their God-like qualities and not look at their negatives but see through to their potential. Even my own. So often I look at myself and just pick apart at the bad things I see. God sees our potential and wants each of us to find our worth in Him because He is our worth.

God bless you! I have overcome an intense addiction to cigarette smoking and Jesus will set you free from bondage to anything! HE can and will do it. It is hard but not impossible. Seek Him and search the scriptures for not only deliverance verses (but do use these also) but for all the Healing verses you can find (Bible.com makes it so easy to do and then print). You need underlying healing from Jesus as well as deliverance from food addiction. He will answer you, speak the Word (the verses you find) over yourself, especially when you are tempted to eat out of boundaries. Do not be to harsh on yourself, food is different than a cigarette, let yourself have a piece of cake or pie once in while, just stay within the calories you need for the day (caloriecounter.com can help with that also) there are so many books on this but my sister joined Weight Watcher's and she really enjoyed the plan they have and was able to lose weight on it and keep it off. GOD BLESS YOU! I have have said a prayer for you!

Boot Camp

I love food

my problem is I get bored and I eat. Usually when I get upset or feeling sad, I don't eat which can be bad as well. when I found out about my hubby's affair I lost 12 -13 lbs in one week.

I'll eat for something to do

Edited by heathbar

Has anyone tried chewing gum. When you chew gum it gets your mind off of food. Until it's time for you to eat. I chew gum all the time and I'm about to get some now. Because I want to snack. So let me get some gum.

the faster you lose weight, the faster it comes back... the only safe healthy way to lose weight is to eat 6 healthy mini-meals a day and exercise

Right now I am having problems eating veggies, I am at 11 weeks pregnant and anything green comes right back up, except green beans, those I can handle. So I have had to increase my fruit intake, baby seems pleased with fruit, especially melon and I can eat corn fine. But the salads I used to eat all the time and love are on hold for now!

Great Revelation

That was a great revelation that you realized you eat to comfort. I would suggest another form of comfort and stress relief such as taking a walk or yoga. Excersize increases endorphans that improve your mood. It does not have to be strenuous excersize, just up and moving. Yoga also adds the benefit of relaxations breathing techniques. I own Yoga DVD's since I find it embarassing to work out in public. Hope this helps and good luck. You've already found your trigger, so just remember that everytime you want to eat something. If you find 10 minutes later that you still want to eat than maybe you really are hungry, if not than it was just a mood urge.

I was listening to creflo dollar speak on breaking this type of bondage, and others. He said if we pray to help us break this, our prayers are not going to do us any good in our battle. He said as a believer we have been given authority over dark powers. we have to change our old thinking, we are given power by god through christ to win our battle. I was reading the bible, some days I have authority over oreo cookies, and I work out, when my child is stressing me out I do have power, but then there are some days that are back to the old pit. I was reading the bible searching, for the solution for every day. A thought came into my mind to keep the oreo cookies with me even when I sleep, go every were with those cookies. god was showing me I have dominion over it, I just dont believe it all the time. I am free as of today, One day at a time. every day I have to keep saying scriptures of authority only. I say to this mountain of sugar, food that makes me sick, be casted out into the ocean and it obeyed me, through the power of christ living in me. christ is sitting in heavenly places I am sitting in him, he is above all dark powers they are all under his feet, through his blood sugar and bindge food is under my feet. Thank you god for giving me the power to slay my giant, not with my hand but yours that is living in me. so keep praying power prayers. not asking him to take away something he has given us the ability to kill through him living in us. his power is in us. amen.