Sign in to follow this  
mommy2liddy

Not doing so well with church...

I hate to even admit this, but I am definitely failing in the area of keeping my kids in church. I've been focused on my relationship with God lately and trying to grow closer to Him that I've neglected the need to take my children to church. I'm sure this problem is very common, but my husband does not make sure that we all go to church. In fact, it seems that he chooses Sunday morning as the day he wants to do things I have asked him to do throughout the week. For example, we just moved a few month ago to my parents old house but we hadn't yet moved the kids' swingset. I had asked him if we could do it on Saturday, but he didn't. I intended on taking the kids myself to a local church yesterday, but of course dh woke up raring to go, wanting to get that swingset and some other things moved up to our house. Does he do it on purpose? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder. He would NEVER, NEVER forbid me from taking the kids to church, but I absolutely detest going without him. It is inevitable that people will ask about him or at the very least, give me a strange look. I never know whether they are thinking "where is her husband and why would he send her to church alone?" or whether they're thinking badly about me. We recently started visiting a bigger church in the closest 'city' to us and really liked it. My husband even went up front and re-dedicated his life to Christ and expressed interest in joining the church. However, they requested us to come back that night to join the church and for my husband to be baptized since he has never done that before. Well, I eagerly agreed that we would, however when we got out to the car my husband informed me that we would not be able to go back that night. And so, now he is ashamed to go back because we said we would come that night and then never showed. I fear he will never want to go back there although I love the music, the preacher always brings a good sermon, and they have lots of activities for the kids. Also, he doesn't want to go to SS at all. I believe that is where you really get to know people and make Christian friends, but he fears that they will make him talk about stuff. Anyway, I"m really rambling here but please pray that I would have courage to take the kids alone, or that dh would become a spiritual leader and us all go to church as a family. Are there any of you that struggle with this issue? Have you overcome it? How did you do it? I would appreciate any advice.

I will pray for you and your family. The Bible tells us that the husband is to be the spiritual head of the home and is to love his wife as Christ loves the church. Unfortunately, fulfilling this role is one of the most difficult things husbands struggle with. My husband is a deacon, a SS teacher, and we are in church every Sunday but he still struggles with helping our son and me in our own spiritual growth and development. Take it to God in prayer. "The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian is a good book to read.

Here is a scripture that I found. I hope this helps you.

1Corinthians 7:13-14

13And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Even though your husband is finding excuses not to go to church. You keep right on going with your children. Pray that he comes to see the light. God has to work on his heart and it is only HE who can bring someone to a spirit of conviction. There a word that I use with prayer and that is:

P Pray

U Until

S Something

H Happens

Momofateen:)

I too am failing my kids and church. being un-equally yoked my dh doesn't attend with me so I was taking all 5 kids by myself, then the oldest ds 12yo decide he wasn't going to go with anymore, tried to make him but without dh's backing.. oh well. then the 2nd ds decide he will only go on Wed. night(for Royal rangers) and now my 8yr ds is saying he doesn't want to go, but I still can make him. thankfully the yougest 2 still come with me and like church.

I'm at a point I have given up tryto to convince them to go and I try to lead by example nd pray God will soften their hearts and they will come back to him.

Theresa6,

Sometimes that's all we can do is be an example and pray that God do the rest. Be encouraged He will move in the hearts of your children and husband. He hears the cries of the righteous and He loves your family. Trust in His timing and His plan.

Broken Beloved, thank you! it gets discoaraging sometimes, I have waited so long for God to get ahold of DH(16yrs) sometimes I see what I think is a softening heart but nope.

I know that being a mother (and all that goes along with that) and being the Spiritual Leader that your children need can be a very difficult and trying thing. The book that onehotmama recommended is an excellent book "The Power of a Praying Wife". I have a copy if you need it.

Let me just say that as long as your husband is NOT in disagreement with just you and the kids going to church, keep going. Just remember that you are one person and you can only do so much. What I mean by this is that you don't have to be at the church every time the doors open. Pray and ask the Father to give you wisdom on which activities to choose; or if you should just go on Sundays. Don't stress yourself out.

And as far as people asking where your husband is or them thinking this or that...don't worry about it! They're probably just glad you're there. Don't allow the enemy to have a foothold in your thought-life by you entertaining vain imaginations.

Go! Have fun! Enjoy yourself and enjoy the fellowship! Be a 'spunge' and soak up the Word. Go, expecting to be blessed and to be a blessing! Just continue to love your husband, pray for him, and just set an example of unconditional love and exceptance. God WILL begin to move on your behalf and on behalf of your family.

Philippians 1:6 says...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you (your hubby) will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I have had to confess this scripture a gazillion times...

Philippians 2:12-18

continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you (Danielle) to will and to act according to HIS GOOD PLEASURE.

Do everything without complaining (ouch!!) or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved (or perversed) generation, in which YOU SHINE like stars in the universe as you hold out the Word of LIfe-- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.

But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your FAITH, I am glad and rejoice with all of you.

So you too should be glad and rejoice..

Philippians 4:4

Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

DO NOT BE ANXIOUS about anything, but in EVERYTHING, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving (THIS IS KEY!!), present your requests to God.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

verse9- Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--PUT IT INTO PRACTICE. And the God of peace will be with you.

Remember that God is always concerned about what concerns you, Danielle. He loves you. Your marriage is a sacred and holy covenant. He desires for it to be all that it's suppose to be. So, leave your husband at the feet of The Master. He WILL honor the prayers of a faithful, loving, and Godly wife. You just continue to do what you know to be right, and your Father will handle the rest.

Be blessed sister!

In His Service~

Carla

Went to church yesterday...

My dh had to work yesterday (he's going to college full-time but works a part-time job now) and so my mom and I took the kids to church. We went to Sunday school also, which was one of my fears, but the class was great. I went to a young married couples class and I was relieved to see some other women in there who were also without their husbands for various reasons. Michael loved his class and actually told me to leave the room!!! Lydia enjoyed her SS class also, but sat out front with us for the sermon instead of going to children's church. We live about 30 miles away from this church, so it is only really feasible for us to go on Sunday mornings, but I feel that it's good for us to at least get a SS lesson and then listen to the sermon. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify (can't remember if I said it before) that my husband is a Christian, but his mom raised him alone and did not take him to church so I believe that it is just not a habit for him and given the choice, he'll choose to stay home and watch football or whatever. Anyway, I'm making up my mind to go ahead and go to church (at least with my mom if she wants to go with us) or by myself if need be. I plan on sticking with the SS classes as well. Just thought I'd give y'all an update on the situation.

I've been having trouble going to church as well for various reasons. A lot of the time I have one of the three kids sick or I'm sick, etc. Because my husband leads music every Sunday, he can't take the kids with him so they always end up staying here with me if I'm at home. It's hard to know what to do but I feel like the most important thing for me to do right now is keep reading the Bible with my kids and praying with them and for them. I was trying for a while to get my kids to memorize verses and then that kind of fell by the wayside as things got busier. I'm really wanting to start doing that again. I was amazed at how many verses my 2 year old could memorize. I'm having to focus on those kinds of things until I am able to get back to church more regularly. I understand the struggle and am here for you.

Make is a house rule

I hate to even admit this, but I am definitely failing in the area of keeping my kids in church. I've been focused on my relationship with God lately and trying to grow closer to Him that I've neglected the need to take my children to church. I'm sure this problem is very common, but my husband does not make sure that we all go to church. In fact, it seems that he chooses Sunday morning as the day he wants to do things I have asked him to do throughout the week. For example, we just moved a few month ago to my parents old house but we hadn't yet moved the kids' swingset. I had asked him if we could do it on Saturday, but he didn't. I intended on taking the kids myself to a local church yesterday, but of course dh woke up raring to go, wanting to get that swingset and some other things moved up to our house. Does he do it on purpose? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder. He would NEVER, NEVER forbid me from taking the kids to church, but I absolutely detest going without him. It is inevitable that people will ask about him or at the very least, give me a strange look. I never know whether they are thinking "where is her husband and why would he send her to church alone?" or whether they're thinking badly about me. We recently started visiting a bigger church in the closest 'city' to us and really liked it. My husband even went up front and re-dedicated his life to Christ and expressed interest in joining the church. However, they requested us to come back that night to join the church and for my husband to be baptized since he has never done that before. Well, I eagerly agreed that we would, however when we got out to the car my husband informed me that we would not be able to go back that night. And so, now he is ashamed to go back because we said we would come that night and then never showed. I fear he will never want to go back there although I love the music, the preacher always brings a good sermon, and they have lots of activities for the kids. Also, he doesn't want to go to SS at all. I believe that is where you really get to know people and make Christian friends, but he fears that they will make him talk about stuff. Anyway, I"m really rambling here but please pray that I would have courage to take the kids alone, or that dh would become a spiritual leader and us all go to church as a family. Are there any of you that struggle with this issue? Have you overcome it? How did you do it? I would appreciate any advice.

Make it a house mandatory rule that everyone goes to church on Sunday and stand on it.

If they don't go to church, then they do go to play or with friend.

Consequences....

Your husband you will have to pray that he will follow you and the kids.

I have "the power of a praying wife" and several books aimed at wifes with un-saved husbands, those are the ones that see me through somedays.

Praise...

Just wanted to update y'all on the church situation. Things are going much, much better. I think the turning point for me came when I visited the Sunday school class for the first time. I'm in a young marrieds class and I love it!!! I look forward to church every week now. Even now on Monday I can't wait to go back to class. The teacher is great, everyone is friendly and I"m really learning a lot about marriage. I have had no problem getting up to go to church because I'm so looking forward to my Sunday school class. Worship time is great too. I love the music and also like the pastor a lot as well. I'm excited about this next Sunday. For our early service (8:30 in the morning which is when I usually go) the children's church is having a Christian illusionist come by and I really think Lydia will enjoy it. I love the early service, too. We go to worship first at 8:30 and then go to Sunday school and we're out by 11:00 so still have the rest of the day to relax. I don't go back to the evening service just due to the distance that I am away from the church (30 miles). It would take too much gas, but anyway, just wanted to share how excited and thrilled I am about church now and praying that it continues and that the children get as much out of it as I am!!!