Sign in to follow this  
mommy2liddy

Frustrated with 'kids' movies that contain 'adult' jokes and sexual innuendo

I know I can't be the only one to have noticed this but I get so angry when we go to see a G rated film and it is filled with sexual innuendo. So what if it is over their heads? I don't think it should be in there. Period. I used to think that films I watched as a child didn't contain it, but going back and watching them, they do. I realize that Hollywood wants adults to be entertained as well, but I just don't think it has any place in a child's film. What do y'all think?

I agree. It doesn't belong. And not just because of the kids. We adults don't need it either. It drives me nuts that Hollywood's idea of "mature content" means that there is a adolescent obssession with sex and bodily functions. If they are hoping to entertain grown-ups with their giggling about nakedness then their aim is way off.

I have to agree with both of you. The thing that has really bothered me lately is pants falling down. Urg!!

Love in Christ,

Eileen

it annoys me as well, Happy Feet if full of sexual innuendo's I was actually shocked at one in particular. these jokes don't go over my 12 yr olds head

Heathbar,

that is a great example. Happy Feet is the worst movie because of all the sexual innuendo's. My husband and I watched it because my little sisters saw and said they loved it. I was so frustrated when I saw it, My littlest sister is 9years old and had no idea what she was listening to. It is just disgusting the messages being sent to our children and youth. Shrek is up there with "children" movies I can not stand.

I, too, agree that current films are less and less age appropriate. I would paraphrase C. S. Lewis' comments about christian authors writing books.

It's not that we need more films about God and Christ (repeated animated versions of Moses). We need more good films by strong Christians (Chronicles of Narnia types).

Angela

http://www.pluggedinonline.com is a Focus on the Family ministry that reviews television, movies, and music specifically so that parents can determine what message those things are sending to their children. Reviews are broken down into the categories of spiritual, sexual, violence, language, and drug & alcohol content in addition to giving a general review of the movie.

I think if we as Christians get more serious about cutting out the junk from our entertainment diets then it would make a huge impact. I'm not one for boycotts but by being more discerning with how we spend the money God has entrusted to us would be a win-win (Hollywood begins to realize that people don't like certain "entertainment" and we keep our hearts a little more tender for the Lord).

I hate the movie Happy feet it is an annoying movie without all the crap in it. I was quite appalled by that flick, see now i am all rowled up LOL it is really a stupid movie anyway

Naejeirual - I definitely also agree that adults don't need to watch films with that junk either. Lately I've really thought about it and if it's something that's not appropriate for our children, why should we think it's appropriate for us? I believe that if it's something I could not watch with my children then I should not watch it, period. My husband really struggles with that area, though. Probably just the man thing (men are visual) and so he struggles in regards to restricting what is watched in our home. I am praying that the Lord will touch his heart in that area. My media problems are with music (I used to listen to 'secular' music) and it was difficult for me to give that up. But I realized that the music I was listening to was giving me wrong, sinful thoughts and influencing me much more than I realized. I've recently gotten very careful about what I listen to and sometimes a song that I thought was okay will strike a nerve with me and I'll decide that I can't listen to it. I even have to watch the type of Christian music I listen to. Even if it's Christian rock, I tend to listen to rock music when I am angry and it amplifies my anger. So I have to be careful about how 'hard' the Christian rock is. I am safer with contemporary Christian or praise and worship stuff. Anyway, I do think that if we as Christians would stop buying this stuff that Hollywood would get the message. I also wish that Christian filmmakers would really step it up and start making some great films that would be at the Hollywood-level production and quality (as far as acting, sound and visual effects).

Mommy2liddy,

I agree that Christian filmakers need to step up their game. They need to be able to produce better quality films than secular film makers. My husband gets really frustrated with that. He's big into audio/visual production and he gets so frustrated at how Christian filmmakers settle for "ok" films instead of the best films they can.

On the subject, there is a new movie coming out this Nov. Called the Golden Compass. It was written by an atheist and he is quoted saying that it is his plan to "kill God in the mind of children".

I did some study on his books (a trilogy called His Dark Materials which the movie is the first in the trilogy) It's nothing at all like the Chronicles of Narnia although it has been marketed to look similar.

The movie is a "dumbed down" version of the books. But please don't fall into the trap of taking your kids to see the movie and then filling there Christmas stockings with the books.

I will let you do your own research but basically the story line follows a boy and a girl (depicted as Adam and Eve "like" who go back in time to the fall and kill a senile God)

Being that Nicole Kidman is in the film, it will be big.

This makes Harry Potter look like a fairy tale.

It's disturbing what is marketed for our children these days.

Regarding the Golden Compass: I just had my 9 year old sit down and watch the trailer with me and I read her your review. I also went out to Wikepedia and read the controversy part and paraphrased it for her. Before she saw it on TV and was intrigued by it, I wanted her to know what it was about.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the heads up!!!! We love fantasy and this review has been a great warning.