Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Nightmares/terrors?

Wondering if any moms have encountered similar nighttime behavior:

My son just turned three. Over the last month or so he has woken about a half dozen times right near the midnight hour. He cries really hard and he kicks his legs. The first time it happened I thought maybe he was experiencing some leg cramps or had a leg fall asleep. Whenever I try to say anything to him he cries harded, as if he is really angry. He refuses to answer my questions of whether something hurts or if he's scared. Every now and again, if I ask if something hurts and he needs medicine, he will say yes - but when I ask what hurts the answer changes everytime, even within one episode (head, stomach, nose...). Ultimately I can calm him down and whatever he claimed needed medicine is no longer a issue. It feels like it's been taking longer to calm him down each time... ten minutes the first time up to 30 or 40 last night. After he's calmed down, or in the morning, when I try and ask him what was the trouble he either doesn't have the words to explain or he's just so far removed from the moment that he can't remember. Other than this nighttime thing, there's nothing else going on in his life that I can connect to this... no foods or activities or things witnessed on TV or new people. I pray with him when he's crying but God hasn't elected to answer by showering down peace within the moment... though if nothing else I figure it's a good testimony to him to always turn to God in these moments. I just feel really helpless because he's not able to give me any information to help me figure out what's going on and I can't see anything on my own. So far God has asked me to only keep holding him and loving him during "the storm" but hasn't offered insight. Anyone have any experience in anything like this?

One time my daughter woke up at 1 in the morning, screaming and she informed me that cookie monster was chasing her and thought she was a big cookie and he was going to eat her.

he is probably still asleep when you are trying to ask him, I would just keep comforting him till he goes back to sleep. He could be anxious about anything, christmas, school something someone said

Guest happy@home

My niece has this. I also have another friend in our church whose son had this. It is apparently just night tarrors(SP?). From listening to them talk, it is better just to let them lay there and cry. The Dr. even told my friend that. It is very difficult when your child is crying and screaming, but it seems when they are asleep like this it just makes it worse. Many times they do not remember anything or very little about it in the morning. I wish I could help you more. I know it isn't pleasant going through this at all. Hang in there!

Sherry

My stepson also did the same thing ,now he is 12 and is a terriable sleep walker!!! He looks wide awake and can talk but he is sound asleep. It wares on a person. I was up all night it seems like forever. I am in Child developement and we just talked about how around the age of 3 children start having nightmares. That was about the same time my stepson started having his. Could it be the age?

I am not sure if what your son is having is night terrors or not. You can ask your pediatritian and he may be able to help you find out.

My son had night terrors and it was usually set off by not getting to bed early enough or having caffeine - in the form of chocolate - usually chocolate milk.

We cut out all chocolate after noon and limited chocolate to a minimum.

We also worked hard to get him to bed on time.

His night terrors were usually an hour and a half or so after falling asleep.

He's only had one night-time episode since I posted and then also had a morning with a very similar mood... I was already suspicious that it was not night-terrors but the getting up on the wrong side of the bed really has made me think. My sister had night-terrors when we were kids and the thing I remember about them is that they were terrifying... she would scream, not cry, and when my mom moved towards her she would pull away but yell that she wanted her mom - it was like she was stuck between awake and asleep - merging bad dreams with what was actually happening. Henry on the other hand acts more like he's having a tantrum. He seems in control of himself but just mad. One thought I had... he's been potty trained in the last several months and it seems like most nights when he wakes crying he ends up using the bathroom on the same waking - and then a couple nights ago, during the early evening before bedtime, he started complaining that he hurt (down there) and all my inquries were finally answered when he simply acknowledged that he had to go to the bathroom and the discomfort was alleviated when he went. So, prehaps this night-time break-down is due to feeling the need to use the bathroom but not wanting to wake up? He does sleep in diapers still but based on his getting up to use the bathroom sometimes I think he is starting to care about laying in wet diapers. Maybe my next course of action should be to handle it as you would a kid who wets the bed... limit pre-bedtime liquids and make sure the toilet is the last stop before the pillow?

He's only had one night-time episode since I posted and then also had a morning with a very similar mood... I was already suspicious that it was not night-terrors but the getting up on the wrong side of the bed really has made me think. My sister had night-terrors when we were kids and the thing I remember about them is that they were terrifying... she would scream, not cry, and when my mom moved towards her she would pull away but yell that she wanted her mom - it was like she was stuck between awake and asleep - merging bad dreams with what was actually happening. Henry on the other hand acts more like he's having a tantrum. He seems in control of himself but just mad. One thought I had... he's been potty trained in the last several months and it seems like most nights when he wakes crying he ends up using the bathroom on the same waking - and then a couple nights ago, during the early evening before bedtime, he started complaining that he hurt (down there) and all my inquries were finally answered when he simply acknowledged that he had to go to the bathroom and the discomfort was alleviated when he went. So, prehaps this night-time break-down is due to feeling the need to use the bathroom but not wanting to wake up? He does sleep in diapers still but based on his getting up to use the bathroom sometimes I think he is starting to care about laying in wet diapers. Maybe my next course of action should be to handle it as you would a kid who wets the bed... limit pre-bedtime liquids and make sure the toilet is the last stop before the pillow?

It sounds like you may have the answer.

I think it would be good to do that and see if it helps.

It may be simply having to go to the bathroom at night.