Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Overnight potty training

No, not as in, potty training accomplished overnight. :)

My son, now 3-1/2 years old, has been toilet trained since last fall and recently he has been wanting to go to bed without wearing a "nighttime diaper". Unfortunately, the majority of nights he has one or even two incidents of wetting the bed. I don't want to force him to continue wearing a diaper until after I've given it a solid attempt to help him stay dry. We've only been half-hearted at the no-drinks-after-dinner rule so I know I should get more serious about that. I've been taking him to the toilet before I go to bed but I haven't forced him to fully wake up and walk himself there... should I? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

One thing that we used to do when potty training was to get up in the night and put them on the toilet. We would get them up about 11:30 or so and put them on the toilet. They would used the bathroom and go back to sleep. I know it breaks your sleep, but dry sheets are wonderful in the morning.

One of my children had trouble with going at night - I him about around 2 am. (I tried 3 am first but found him already wet by then). It took about two weeks before it broke the habit and he got up on his own.

For the moment, we have went back to diapers. Two nights in a row I had taken him to the bathroom twice (once before I went to bed at like 11 and then again when I was woken by his sister aroun 1) and both nights he still ended up wet. He just doesn't seem ready in terms of his awareness. Half the time I discover him laying in a wet bed and he hasn't even woken up. We got more diapers and made the plan that on any night he wakes up dry, the next night he can try without a diaper. He seems satisfied.

Please don't stress out over this. I have 3 kids and each one trained differently. Both of my boys were 3 and trained in about 6 weeks. My daughter wanted to after she turned 2, but just before 3 finally got completely out of diapers and pull-ups. It's been my experience with my kids and my daycare kids that when they are ready, it will happen quickly. If they truly aren't ready, it can be a real struggle.