Sign in to follow this  
marshaleigh

Need help weaning son from nursing

My son will be 2 this coming Sunday. I have had a terrible time weaning him from nursing. He is only nursing 2 times a day. I'm sure that it is more habit and comfort for him than anything.

I am desperate for advice on how to wean him. I'm close to losing my mind over this, although I love him with every beat of my heart.

To add to the situation, my husband (of 7 years) and I have been seperated for going on 4 months now. Although I have tried almost a year ago to wean him.

Love and blessings.

What does your seperation have to do with weaning your son? I'm not being mean I feel for you as I have filed a divorce application and looks like I am headed that way after 15 yrs of marriage. It is probably comforting for both of you. Maybe cut down to once a day and then just none. he'll have a hard time but it survive through it. I only nursed one of my 3 and i stopped at 4 months.

You know...people who have never been in that position truly don't understand. I had friends telling me all sorts of things to get my daughter to stop nursing and then I had friends who nursed their kids untl they were done (some as old as 3). My first daughter would not eat anything until she was between 15-18 months old (the doctor kept saying, "Don't worry, she'll eat." So, it took even longer to wean her...she was 2 1/2 (only at naptime and bedtime). I was embarrassed to tell most people, even close friends. I went out of town for a few days, and when I came back I just told her it was "All gone." She screamed for a minute, didn't even show that she cared until the next morning, gestured that she wanted to nurse before naptime and I said, "All gone," again. She once again screamed and never showed interest again. My new baby I thought I would never get that far again. She was ready to wean around her first birthday, then she got a cold and would only nurse and eat Saltine crackers. She got better and I got her down to one time again, then she got the flu, we went on vacation, she got another cold, we had visitors here and now she is 20 months old and I can't believe she isn't weaned yet. She hasn't wanted whole milk since like the second cold/flu. My sister and others have suggested slowly weaning again. Then, offering a cup of either breastmilk, whole-milk or a combination of both at feedings until it's only her favorite time to nurse (when she wakes up or at nap or bedtime). Her doctor said that's fine to try. Then, keep them busy doing other things instead of wanting to nurse (usually I notice my daughter does it when she wants to be comforted, relax or cuddle-time). I hope this helps and don't feel bad. I totally understand as much as you want to be DONE! there is a part of you that will miss that time with your child. If you need more advice or information, go to the La Leche League website. They always have good advice on nursing and weaning.

I don't have any personal experience to share... mind weaned without effort from me. A blessing that I didn't (and probably still don't) fully appreciate.

Lord, I ask your hand on this situation. It is you Father who have appointed a season for every thing under heaven. Please give this mom wisdom and grace to guide her son into the next season and give her son an understanding beyond his years and a sense of comfort so that he can trust her leading. Guide marshaleigh to resources that can give her practical tips and give her discernment for how to apply those tips to the relationship between she and her son. As she perseveres under the stress of the seperation, please give her extra strength to continue parenting in the best possible way. We ask this in your name Lord Jesus.