Sign in to follow this  
marla smith

What keeps you Christian

With all the doubts that the world is laden with, and all of the trials we are put through, what keeps you faithful and Christian?

Define what you mean about what keeps you Christian? The reason why I ask is that there are so many people out there that call themselves Christians but are certainly not I know I'm not perfect but I am always working on improving myself to becoming more like Jesus but yes life gets in the way and you get back to what you are supposed to be becoming so do we know what a Christian is supposed to be like or look like personally I think that word is overrated!

Hey Marla

I would say this... Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. I think that knowing that God loves us even when we were sinners gives me the reason to love him. I believe that also knowing what Jesus did on the cross. All the pain and suffering that he took just for me because he loves me... All the pain that he took for you and everyone because he loves us. The bible says in John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth oin him should not perish, but have everlasting life. I believe this as well that the bible says in Romans 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquereros through him that loved us. I also believe that Psalm 103:3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases. God sent his son Jesus to pay the penatly for sin so that we do not have to. We are redeemed from the curse of the law. We have victory in Jesus. The bible says in Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. The bible says that God will never leave us or forsake us. The bible says God does not lie. When he promises us something He always comes through on our promises. It is us that stop Gods blessing s from working in our live by what we say and by what we do. If we want to be blessed we must obey Gods word. We must read, study and mediate on Gods word daily. Then we must speak Gods word daily. Then act on the word of God that was spoken. The only thing that pleases God is faith. (Hebrews 11:6) You can not please God without faith. I also believe this verse in Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neith the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? The bible is true. The bible also says in Mark 9:23 If thou canst believe all things are possible to him who believes. The bible says that Jesus washed away my sin. Wow that is more than enough... He paid the greatest sacrifice out of love for us.. that is what keeps me believing.. Because he loves me... so much that he died for me... He was bruised and beaten on the cross of calvary for my sins. He was nailed to the cross his hands and feet because of his love for me.. Wow what great love... We did not deserve it but salvation is a free gift... all we need to do is believe in our heart.. and confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord... Confess Jesus and ask him into your heart... Ask him for forgiveness of our sins.. The bible also says he does not remember our forgiven sin... He does not remember the sin that we confessed when we ask him to forgive us of that sin.. He throws it into the sea of forget fullness wow... Can you imagine that? He washed my body white a snow.. He healed my body. He made me alive unto God. He restored me and brought me out of darkness into the kingdom of light. He delivered me out of bondage. He took the blind folders off my eyes and allowed me to see into the Kingdom of Light. He healed my son when my son almost died. He healed me when I almost died. He healed my mom when she died for a few minutes. He brought her back to live.... He never gives up or me. He is my encourager and my strengther. He is my helper. He is my victory. My victory is found in him... Jesus is my all and all..

Holly I. :)

I feel I've been through a lot, I think it's only Him and His faithfulness that keep me. I've had many temptations to walk away, but I believe His Spirit inside me won't let me. I could no more change it than change my height. :D

The love I have in my heart for Him and the constant belief that I ALWAYS want to live for Him and please Him in ALL I do. I WANT to be more Christlike and strive for it in all I do and say.

John 1:1 .....

"In the beginning was the Word, and the word was with God, and the Word was God."

I believe that when we are in the word of God our christianity is kept secure. The word is sharper then any double edged sword.. able to judge our thoughts and attitudes, penetrate deep into our hearts.. it is powerful and effective meant for teaching and rebuking and is the supreme authortiy on all wisdom and knowledge.... here on earth. ......when we daily put ourselves in God's word, not only does it help us grow in our faith and encourage us but the Holy spirit is able to work in our hearts and convict us of sin and give us victory over sin thorugh confession and repentance and conquer our enemy.... the list goes on....

I also believe when we follow the greatest commmand to love the Lord your God with ALL your heart,with all your soul and all your mind, you are able to stay christian.... but that shouldnt be our goal to keep a "title of a religion"... but rather to maintain our relationship with God our creator and right standing with Christ Jesus His son..........not an easy thing to do, but God told us how to do it.... in His word!

Just my thoughts....

secondchance

I know that the one time profession of asking Jesus to save me and the Holy Spirit to live in me is what seals it for me. I have to remind youth of that all the time.

I will not always have good days. I will not always feel like the Holy Spirit is with me but I can know it. I can keep that in mind so when failures, trials, and my sinful ways get in my life I am reminded I am that same Mindy that Jesus died for and I am secure in Him.

I know that the one time profession of asking Jesus to save me and the Holy Spirit to live in me is what seals it for me. I have to remind youth of that all the time.

I will not always have good days. I will not always feel like the Holy Spirit is with me but I can know it. I can keep that in mind so when failures, trials, and my sinful ways get in my life I am reminded I am that same Mindy that Jesus died for and I am secure in Him.

ofcourse that tooo... Without the salvation of our souls through what christ did on the cross, religion is worthless!And if we accept that gift, and believe in our hearts and confess it with our mouths...we are saved!!!

;):)

Marla,

The road to salvation is different for all of us. I often look at it as a mountain climb rather than a road :-)

My thoughts on this have changed throughout my life. As a school aged newly saved girl it was easy to for me to pray simple prayers and know that God loved me still.

But then during my prodigal years it was the occasional visit to Catholic mass that remided me that God was still out there and somewhere inside of me. Even though I always have been Baptist, I needed a sign and the reverence of the mass comforted me in a time when I wasn't done being 'prodigal'.

Now, in my thirties, I have come to realize what Gods grace is. It is when you know you're saved, but you're not looking at Gods' face. For whatever reason you cannot spend time in prayer and devotion and you feel like your light isn't shining that brightly. But I know that God is still holding me. I'm not holding very tightly to Him, but he has me right in the middle of His hand and I'm not going anywhere. And that is what He has done my entire life. But now I know what it is, I've always known - now I can put it into words.

And no matter what people tell you Marla, it's your road to salvation. Find promises in the Bible that you can cling to. And it may take a decade or two or three for it to sink in, but as long as you are saved and you believe with your heart then God is still working in you.

Have faith sweet child of God, the fact that you are seeking is so so good.

Yeah Eileen Jesus sure did wash our sins white as snow. He washed us white as snow. Now it is time to give Jesus all the glory for all that he has done for us. If we did not have Jesus we would be lost. Our life is found in Jesus. Glory to God. Have a blessed week

Onfire4jesus :)

focus upwards not downwards, look up, not down.

Having faith and belief that Jesus will get you through anything!

I found this, this morning. It describes more of what I was talking about earlier in reguards to daily being in God's Word. It is taken from "Our Daily Bread" devotional.....................

I love the prayer that begins," God be in my head." When I first heard it, admittedly I thought it sounded a little wierd. But then I got to thinking how unfortunate it is in our efforts to grow closer to Jesus we focus on our emotional experience of Him and check our brains at the door. Without His truth ringing in our heads,we're bound to get off track.

Just look at the early christians. False teachers filled their heads with misinformation, saying that salvation and spiritual growth could be attained only through keeping the requirments of Law. When Paul heard of it, He was astonished at how quickly they had gotten off track : "I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ." (Gal 1:6)

It' s not just false teachers who lead us astray. Our world if full of twisted thinking like, " If it feels good, do it," or or the " the one with the most toys wins." Let's face it, you and I can't afford to check our brains at the door.. In fact, intimacy with Jesus begins with getting to know HIm,and it's the facts about Him that makes us want to get close to Him.

So strange as it may sound, if you want to stay on track with Jesus, start each day by asking Him to be in your head! -Joe Stowell

God be in my head and in my understanding;

God be in my eyes,and in my looking;

God be in my mouth,and in my speaking;

God be in my heart , and in my thinking.- Sarum Primer

To stay on track ,let God guide your thinking

With all the doubts that the world is laden with, and all of the trials we are put through, what keeps you faithful and Christian?

Jesus,

by the power of the Holy Spirit

He sent the comfortor to keep us until his return

Well, I'll always be A Christian, because once we're saved that's it, but what keeps me focused on God is prayer. Prayer, Prayer, Prayer. That's talking to God, no handsomely crafted thing with "thee's" and "thou's" in it, just regular talking with him throughout the day. Recently here I went through a period where I wasn't praying like I usually do, and I started feeling all down and depressed and I couldn't figure out why. I prayed to God to help me, and I realized that was the problem, I wasn't praying! He wants to talk to us, to communicate, but when we don't take the time to sit with Him, we don't hear the little whispers and see the little signs he shows to us every day. So pray, it helps.

I have been a christian for 36 yrs and I have been through a lot in my life. Abuse, rape, sexual abuse, my husband having an affair among other things. I always believed in God and my faith because i was told to. I was taught fire and brimstone and too afraid not to be a christian. I don't go to church every week, I don't read my bible anymore, my faith is not what it used to be.

As i have matured I have realized it's OK to question and doubt I'm not going to burst into flames because i question God or the bible. I still believe in God and my faith is somewhere. I know that he is there for me, I just am struggling with leaning on him. I know the bible and what it says I just choose not to reference it. I have also learned that being a christian isn't about going to church or being able to quote scripture. Being a christian is accepting people for who they are, and not judging them or their lives. Being a christian is being able to look at the person in line behind you swearing at their kid or yelling at their spouse, it's being able to look at the person stumbling out of the bar and know that God still loves them as much as he loves the pew warmers, and the bible quoters, and the people that spend countless, selfless hours on their knees praying. It's being able to see anyone in any situation through God's eyes and feeling compassion because you don't know what they are struggling with in their live. It's knowing that a simple smile or warm hello might have saved a depressed person from committing suicide that day. Being a christian is far more about relating to people than it is sitting in a pew every sunday. Even though I question my faith and wonder where God was when i was being molested at the age of 5, I know that I am a christian.

As christians we have to see christ in everything we do and everyone we come across. Christ is in every single person just not everyone has experienced his joy

The Bible is God's word, the bible is God, Jesus.

He is the same yesterday and today and forever more.

Just some comments to add. The Bible is God's word, the bible is God, Jesus.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. . . .

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9
That was the true Light,
which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh
Jesus
and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

note :
I put in Jesus so we can see that Jesus is the
word.
The Bible is true and it is the word of God, Jesus we must beleive it and it will set us free.

healthbar is right about being a Christain is not juding other and much much more. That is only a part.

healthbar people are blessed by your testimony, God has saved you from the evil that came upon you. You testimony with the word of God, the bible will lead many to Christ, as we have talked about before. I pray for you and pray that God will open spiritual knowledge and understanding of his ways and his will in your life. He will use you to draw many to him.

The other part of being a Christain is in this scripture.

Matthew 25:31-46

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them,
Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45 Then shall he answer them, saying,
Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

This scripture goes with what you are saying about others.

God desire is for us to become Christlike,
changing into his image
. Meaning changing our charactor, self, doing some of these thing about build charactor.

He also want us to and it shows of this in these words, in :

James 1:19-27

19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. 21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. 27
Pure religion and undefiled before God
and the Father is this,
To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction,
and
to keep himself unspotted from the world

What an awesome story, I am sorry you were put through so much but glad to see that you still know that God cares for you. Everything happens for a reason, and God takes what others meant for bad and turns it into good. Hopefully you are seeing some of that in your life right now, and if not, talk to Him about it, and I will pray for you too!

My husband and my son keep me christian. My husband always looks for the good in things and is always wanting to help people. He will drop everything for a friend in need, I strive to be more like him. My son is only five months but just knowing that God sent me this perfect little creature to take care of reminds me everyday that i am loved. I haven't always been christian and I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, but knowing that despite all that I can be forgiven and blessed with an amazing husband and son definately keeps me going. I was always worried that somehow I would be punished for my mistakes but seeing how God works in my life everyday makes me realize that he DOES love me and doesn't want to punish me but to bless me for believing and living my life for him. Every day I find a new reason to keep going and keep doing everything in Jesus name.