Sign in to follow this  
nickjonmom

How do you pray from Scripture

I'm having a hard time praying from Scripture. The Study I'm doing with DH's aunt has me writing prayers based on Scripture and for some reason I'm not getting it. Why do we need to pray from scripture and not our own words?

Boy is that a loaded question, but a good one...

I think it all depends on what we believe. Is God's Word supreme? Do we believe that? Do we believe that His Words are higher then ours? His ways higher then ours? We can pray our words, But there is power that is greater when it is God's Word. Why?

Well,

Who is God?

Who are we?

Did we by our spoken word, speak the earth into exsitance?

Did we by our spoken word, call oceans and expanses of skies to cover the earth?

Did we, call out for night and day to be divided

Did we speak into existance, begining with a tiny seed, plants that would produce food for our survival?

Did we by our very breath, breathe life and existance to lifeless bodies that were made from dust?

I personally think that when we recognize who is behind the words that we are praying; we realize that the authority in them is greater then our own. So our confindance in the result is greater. God's word is the final word... He is the begining and the end of all things. So knowing that should encourage us as we pray His words and not our own.... God's word's speak life and when we pray them we are speaking life. We are aligning ourselves with God's will when we are speaking His word.

Just my thoughts....

I guess I sort of think this is a good idea. But, what happened to us having a relationship with our Father. Why can't we pray speaking to him expressing our love and thankfulness to him from our heart? I thinki it is good at times to repeat the great Psalms but what about just talking to him and asking for our forgiveness and praying for needs of others and us?

I guess I sort of think this is a good idea. But, what happened to us having a relationship with our Father. Why can't we pray speaking to him expressing our love and thankfulness to him from our heart? I thinki it is good at times to repeat the great Psalms but what about just talking to him and asking for our forgiveness and praying for needs of others and us?

Amen...... that is equally important!!!!!:D

When I was prompted by the Spirit to pray from the Bible it was out of deep concern for my husband. He is so easily stressed - I worry on so many levels about him and the condition of the relationship with his friends and family.

My jumping off point was Psalms 1 - I began praying this and inserting my husbands name for the pronoun he (the lower cased he's). As I read more, I added more to my prayer. I now have an ever changing prayer (based on the same desires for peace and wisdom) for my husband and it is based totaly in scripture.

I was prompted to pray out of the Bible, because I found myself speaking to the Holy Spirit, at a loss for words I would ask for Him to intercede for me and make known my woes to God. I just didn't have the words.

I am so happy to report that my husband rededicated himself to the Lord this last summer - this was not even something that I knew was on his heart or that he needed. Praise God!!

Thank you Jesus for sending the Holy Spirit to us and thank you for giving us your living word.

Nickjonmom,

I believe the reason we need to pray from scriptures is because the word of God works. If we use the word of God in our lives we will begin to see our prayers answered. Praying against God's word will not answer our prayers but will hinder our prayers. For instance we need to obey God's word and have faith in God and what he says in his word in order to recieve what we are believing for. We can not have unforgiveness in our hearts and expect our prayers to be answered. That is why we must ask for forgiveness of our sins before we ask for what we desire. That way we can go to our heavenly father without any hinderance because sin hinders our prayers from being answered. Anyways if you have someone who needs work than you would say when you pray Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches and glory by Christ Jesus. The bible says in Mark 9:23 If thou canst believe all things are possible to him who believe. The bible says in Mark 16 through the laying on of hands in the name of Jesus the sick shall recover. The bible says in Isaiah 53:5 by Jesus stripes we are healed. The bible also says in Matthew 6:33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. The bible says in Mark 11:23-24 That when we pray to believe and not doubt in our hearts and we will have what ever we pray for. That we must not doubt and that we must forgive those who hurt us. We must have faith in God to recieve from God. I would also say that we need to see the answer in the spiritual realm before we can see the answer to our prayers in the natural realm because what we are doing is through our believing and obedience to God's word we are pulling out the answer from the spiritual realm and bringing it to come to pass through our faith in God and his word. Not on our own but through trusting and having faith in what God says in his word and through obedience in God's word. But we must have a right motive when we pray. We must ask with a right heart in order to recieve our prayers answered. I hope this helps. God bless you

Onfire4jesus :)

Some great points. I love just talking to GOD. I do start my prayers asking for forgivness and then I just start talking to him.

I know I will grow in prayer but it's hard not knowing how to take a scripture and turn it into my own prayer.

Nickjonmom,

I believe the reason we need to pray from scriptures is because the word of God works. If we use the word of God in our lives we will begin to see our prayers answered. Praying against God's word will not answer our prayers but will hinder our prayers. For instance we need to obey God's word and have faith in God and what he says in his word in order to recieve what we are believing for. We can not have unforgiveness in our hearts and expect our prayers to be answered. That is why we must ask for forgiveness of our sins before we ask for what we desire. That way we can go to our heavenly father without any hinderance because sin hinders our prayers from being answered. Anyways if you have someone who needs work than you would say when you pray Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches and glory by Christ Jesus. The bible says in Mark 9:23 If thou canst believe all things are possible to him who believe. The bible says in Mark 16 through the laying on of hands in the name of Jesus the sick shall recover. The bible says in Isaiah 53:5 by Jesus stripes we are healed. The bible also says in Matthew 6:33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. The bible says in Mark 11:23-24 That when we pray to believe and not doubt in our hearts and we will have what ever we pray for. That we must not doubt and that we must forgive those who hurt us. We must have faith in God to recieve from God. I would also say that we need to see the answer in the spiritual realm before we can see the answer to our prayers in the natural realm because what we are doing is through our believing and obedience to God's word we are pulling out the answer from the spiritual realm and bringing it to come to pass through our faith in God and his word. Not on our own but through trusting and having faith in what God says in his word and through obedience in God's word. But we must have a right motive when we pray. We must ask with a right heart in order to recieve our prayers answered. I hope this helps. God bless you

Onfire4jesus :)

AMEN! preach it sister.!

What's worked for me....

Hi there Nickjonmom,

I hear what you are saying, I think. It sounds like you may simply be ready for a deepening of your relationship with Father God.

I love just talking to GOD. I do start my prayers asking for forgivness and then I just start talking to him.

I know I will grow in prayer but it's hard not knowing how to take a scripture and turn it into my own prayer.

This is an EXCELLENT foundation for relationship with the Lover of our soul. My encouragement to you is to keep doing what you've been doing and add to it. What passage of scripture is the Lord high-lighting to you? Spend time with it. Read it frequently and even post it on your fridge or the back of the bathroom door or near the stove where you cook, etc. I have found it extremely helpful to re-write the scripture in my own words. This may sound heretical to some, but with the help of Holy Spirit, it really is just personalizing the scripture for yourself. Then prayer comes strait from the abundance of the heart flow, which in this case is an abundance of the Word that you have stored there. Here's an example... a natural response to a challenging circumstance with another then becomes something like... "Lord! Open their eyes to the Who You Are and the hope You have for them... " based on Eph 1:15-23. Our flesh is supressed and our 'spirit-man' comes foward in a holy response to difficulty. What a better way to live, would you not agree?

Does that make sense??? :confused:

An older post I found....

Colossians 3:15-17

15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Father, I pray for Your peace and thank You for Your Bride. This place has some of the most beutiful people. I ask Lord that all of us might enjoy the richness of Your word, planted deeply in our hearts. I pray you would help us be the type of friend to lovingly share all wisdom and teaching with one another, in love. May the new songs be released, Lord... Spritual Songs sung over your people Lord. And Jesus help us to do all that we do, to our friends, children, husbands, co-workers... all that we do in our actions or in our words be in and through Your Mighty Name, Jesus Christ... Our King.

I found this post from the "Say Good Night" thread, posted on July 12, 2007. I did not set about to "pray the scriptures" as I posted. I merely was impressed and inspired with the passage of scripture and fashioned my prayer after what the Word said. Seems fitting for today, don't you think?