Sign in to follow this  
Jhoward

Whoever Controls the Schools Controls the World

I am not disagreeing with you - I just know that some people reading might think that homeschooling is something new even though it is not.

So I'm thinking it's like this: doctors are great. They really are. Without them, we would be at a sore disadvantage when we broke our arm or came down with bronchitis. But if all the world was made up of doctors, we'd have an awful lot of medical knowledge, but nobody to fix our cars, or cut our hair or build our houses... What's that scripture about each of us being one body part in the whole body of Christ? The big toe is just as important as the arm or the eye or the ear; without all the body parts working together, the body is just not complete, and doesn't work right. The same goes for different types of schooling. The Lord puts everyone in a different type of circumstance, and our task is to work with what we've been given. Together, with all of us in our different circumstances, we come together to do our part as God sees fit.

Thank you for the mini history on homeschooling, I never knew that. If I were smarter I would have more confidence in my ability to home school. I had a GPA of 4.0 in college and used to feel smart, but the way they do math problems now is completely different then the way I was taught. They do not even do borrowing and carrying for subtraction anymore, so I feel like I wouldn't be able to do it.

DiamondRing - I remember nothing of school, and very little of college. And I was not and still am not very intellectual lol. I just read a lot and try to make sure I know my sources and all that. I will be re-learning everything with my children. I never knew the history either. Most homeschooling moms I know are learning right along with their children. Thankfully like heathbar mentioned the resources are vast now - with online classes, and dvd lessons, so when we get t oalgebra you better believe I won't be the one teaching my children that lol. I will get a program that will be better at it so that I don't have to worry that I personally cannot cover that topic. We also are part of a homeschool co-op where different parents volunteer different areas. I volunteer for things like preschool, music, theater, crafts.... I know one of the moms who runs a chem lab, and someone does SAT prep for the older kids - not my strong point! The early years are fairly easy but it does get more difficult from what I have witnessed. BUt the goal is to teach them to learn independently as well, so really they start teaching themselves with the resources we provide. Heck, you know if we wanted public schools would let you use their text books. But to me that would sort of defeat the purpose since some of what is in the texts are not true to our history, etc. The only way I feel at all able to homeschool is by God's grace and strength alone. Because daily I feel inadequate in some way for my children.

Becky84- it's hard to me to understand how everyone having different gifts relates to how everyone uses different types of schooling. Your gifting is given to you by God. The type of schooling you use for your children is completely by choice, even with your circumstances. There is nothing wrong with that persay, but it is not something handed to you that you have no choice in.

I never really knew how it worked, I always thought you'd have to be really up to date and smart to do it, like the teachers at public school I know are only being one at home. My daughter has no interest in it but I will keep it in mind as a more serious option for our future children, especially if the liberals continue to corrupt our educational system due to the increased apathetic nature of a majority of Christians today.

"Becky84- it's hard to me to understand how everyone having different gifts relates to how everyone uses different types of schooling. Your gifting is given to you by God. The type of schooling you use for your children is completely by choice, even with your circumstances. There is nothing wrong with that persay, but it is not something handed to you that you have no choice in."

I never said your choice of schooling was something handed to you that you have no say in. I said that we take our circumstances and make the best of what we have. For example, a military family might find that it's better for their kids to be homeschooled than uprooted from an institutional school every few years. And if everyone were homeschooled, or public-schooled, or whatever, the world would miss out on the benefits of people having been schooled one way or the other.