Sign in to follow this  
heathbar

Fat be gone

I thought I would start a thread on eating healthy.

I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies, for lunch today I cut up a yellow squash and a zucchini and stir fried them in a TBSP of olive oil with salt and pepper. That was my lunch not a lot of calories but healthy and it filled me up. Sometimes I'll add frozen broccoli in there and cook it all together.

I have noticed the more veggies or fruits I eat the less I crave junk food. I can chow on Doritios, or chips and salsa so I started eating pretzels.

so what are some healthy recipes you guys use?

I made chicken and stir-fry veggies last night, I think it was called Chicken Sorrento, the recipe said it was heart healthy, I got it from a magazine at the Sears garage. I recently switched from peanut butter to Almond Butter and we eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.

I only had peaches for lunch and Almond Butter on crackers for breakfast.

I am baking a pie for dessert tonight b/c I won't let go of Lancaster County heritage for the health food bandwagon. I don't have a weight struggle so I don't worry about my diet as far as calories go, I really need to force myself to eat even a little for breakfast and lunch because I tend to not be hungry really until dinner time, but I was told this lowers my energy level and I need to eat more during the day to get energy level up.

No I have to be honest, I am in the beginning stages of a weight problem and I don't really understand it because I do not eat much. I am a size 16 and 2 years ago I was a size 10. The only real change in that time besides pregnancy was quitting work, but that work was very physical so even though I did water aerobics throughout pregnancy I guess it just was not enough. I would like to get down to a size 12. But I am way to out of shape and need to really push myself at this point through the initial pain of getting fit.

Some good healthy recipes would be a help, we cook real good in Lancaster County, a liitle too good, if you know what I mean and I have lost a good 10 lbs. since moving to Oregon, but am going home to visit, so sure I will look at any recipes when I get back home that are posted and try them b/c I may just have that 10 lbs. back after a visit home!

Here it is from Women's Day Magazine:

Chicken Sorrento

Serves 4 at $1.63 per serving

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves

salt and pepper

2 tsp. olive oil

1- 8 oz. bottle Creamy Italian Dressing (you low-fat if want)

1-16 oz bag frozen stir-fry veggies blend

1) Sprinkle chicken w/ salt and pepper

2) Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side.

3) Pour dressing over chicken;turn to coat. Cover reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.

4) Turn chicken over; add frozen veggies;cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through.

We all liked it it was very tasty.

I have more, I made a Vegetable -Beef soup from Weight Watcher's that was great, Ill go get it.

Edited by DiamondRing
typo

O.K this is from weight watcher's cookbook so I hope they don't sue me for this:

Chunky Vegetable-Beef Soup

225 calories, 3 grams fat 4 points

1 lb. beef top round steak, cut into 1" cubes

1 large onion, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced (I just used the jarred minced garlic-3tbsp.)

1 slice thick-cut bacon, chopped (you can use turkey bacon if you don't eat pork)

3-14 1/2 oz cans reduced -sodium beef broth

1-14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup long-grain white rice (you can use brown rice if you want)

3 cups broccoli florets (I used a bag of frozen )

1/4 tsp . black pepper

1) Spray large pot w/ nonstick spray (I did not do that and it was fine). Add beef and cook until browned on all sides (about 10 min). transfer to medium bowl;set aside. Add onion, carrots, garlic and bacon (I also added chopped celery and radishes in mine) to pot. Cook on medium until bacon is lightly browned and veggies are soft (about 10 min).

2)Add water to broth to make 6 cups. Return beef to pot. Add broth and tomatoes;bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beef is tender 9about 30 min). Stir in rice and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and beef is fork tender (about 15 min). Add broccoli and pepper, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until broccoli is tender (about 6 min).

I double the recipe and cool 1/2 to place in the freezer for a fast meal in the future since it does take some time to make.

This soup is so good even my picky eater daughter loves it, I confess I add salt to my bowl at the table so it probably defeats the purpose of buying the reduced sodium broth, my husband always likes to point that out to me as I am shaking in the salt!

I serve it with Pillsbury Crescent rolls and cheddar cheese cubes but the recipe says to serve it with a loaf of Italian or French bread. I know the cheese adds fat and calories but we do like our cheese!!!

I'm looking at tonight's dinner recipe, Baked Penne & Sausage and thinking, this one not so great! I only had the kids in mind when I picked it, every Wednesday I have 3 girls over for supper (who are outrageously picky eaters) and then they come to church with us. That is why I am baking a pie for dessert. I confess I love the way they praise me for my desserts, these Oregon kids have never tasted Lancaster County baking before and I do like their reaction and compliments! I suppose there is some pride I have in my heart that I shouldn't have.

I confess I love the way they praise me for my desserts, these Oregon kids have never tasted Lancaster County baking before and I do like their reaction and compliments! I suppose there is some pride I have in my heart that I shouldn't have.

If you make a mean pie and people love it, you should be proud of that!!!!!!

I make darn good chili :)

Ok so today I'm going to eat some spinach for lunch, I just take a bag of fresh spinach leaves, put them in a pan with about a tsp of olive oil and just enough water to barely cover the bottom, throw in salt and pepper, cover it and cook it on low for a few minutes until the spinach cooks down.

I suffer from severe anemia, I have had to have iron via IV put into my veins 3 times now in the last 7 yrs and my iron is low again. It doesn't matter if I take iron pills daily it doesn't help. Last time I had a treatment my iron level was a 3 and it should be between 50-150. I could barely get out of bed, I was so tired. Right now my iron is a 36. Usually these treatments are pain I go every week for 5 weeks and they put 200 MG of iron in me, it takes like 3 hrs each time. But I gotta tell you about 2-3 weeks after the last treatment I have so much energy it's amazing.

Anyway I try to eat foods high in iron, to help some. Spinach is high in iron, and I use to like liver till I took an anatomy & physiology class and learned the function on the liver...ewww

I had been checked through a blood test for any thyroid problems and they said none, I haven't had iron checked since WIC checked it when I breastfed, but it was fine then. I do feel less energetic when I do not eat enough meat though my husband can't really understand that, he is borderline vegetarian, he is not an animal lover, he just doesn't like taste of meat and any meat on the bone, like chicken totally grosses him out. He thinks we should eat all nuts, rice, beans raw fruits and veggies and I get a lot of lectures about Biblical eating from him (he won't eat pork, but will will eat a small serving of ham at Easter dinner to not offend my Mom, the cook).

I was in middle of contemplating this yesterday, eat pork or not, and God led me to Romans:4 about faith being the key to our Blessing, not obedience to the law. Since I had prayed about this on my Nature Walk earlier I believe it was His answer to my question, however not saying bacon is healthy either.

Don't really know why I went into all this, sometimes I treat this more like a blog, sorry.

Edited by DiamondRing
misspelled word/typo