Sign in to follow this  
DiamondRing

Funeral Pie

In honor of Veteran's Day and the 19th anniversary of the day my Grandpa went on to be with The Lord I am making this today and posting it's recipe.

It is a Pennsylvania Dutch Pie. It is delicious.

Adhering to the Amish faith this thick raisin pie is a comfort food and is served at both Funerals and Weddings because we in the PA Dutch community believe death itself is only a new beginning in life eternal and nothing to fear, like Weddings are a new beginning for the bride and groom of sharing life together -nothing to be afraid of.

It is only human to be little nervous for both occasions and this is what you have a Wedding Party for in the first place-to calm and comfort and encourage with Words and actions of Faith serving in acts of love, actions like baking and serving this pie!

My Grandfather was a Veteran, served in the Korean War, my Great-Grandfather was a veteran, his plane was shot down in WW11.

To all the Veterans here and there who served to share and protect Our freedom, for liberty's sake, for justice and peace to be known in our Nation and around the World-I thank you. Freedom is not free.

May you forever be remembered with honor and with dignity.

Ingredients:

2 cups raisins

2 cups water

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 Tbsp. cornstarch

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground allspice

pinch of salt

1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

3 Tbsp. butter

2 disks Homemade Pie Dough*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Put the raisins and 2/3 cup water in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes.

Combine sugars, cornstarch, spices, and salt in medium bowl, stirring constantly, gradually add remaining 1 1/3 cup water. Add mixture to raisins.

Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly. Add vinegar and butter and heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat; let cool until just warm.

Roll out 1 disk of dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on floured surface. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough. Trim to a 1/2-inch overhang.

Pour filling into the crust. Roll out the 2nd disk of dough. Place on top of pie and trim to a 1-inch overhang. Fold dough under and crimp the edge. Cut decorative slash marks into top crust to vent the pie.

Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

*Recipe for homemade pie dough: (you can also use refrigerated pie dough: I find the mixing of dough, pie or bread, to be very therapeutic, a comfort all in itself)

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose four

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup lard

1 large egg

1/3 cup cold water

1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir to blend. Add the lard and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add the egg, water, and vinegar and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened. Form into a ball and divide that ball into 3 balls. Form a ball into a disk and roll it out to a 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface.

Note:

You can use the remaining ball for any number of recipes , such as pot pies that only use top crust or fruit pies that only use the bottom, or you can freeze the dough for up to 3 months, but roll it out into a disk first and then place it in a resealable plastic freezer bag first.