Sign in to follow this  
CdnMomma

Does anyone enjoy working?

I'm new and I'm seeing a lot of threads for working at home and not liking being at work. I just wonder if there's anyone who actually enjoys getting out and working because it gives them a break? I'm a single mom so I've never really had the option of being a stay at home mom, but I don't know that I could be a full time stay at home mom. I don't know if that makes me sound like a bad person and my son's 11 so he's in school all day, but I don't know what I would do with myself if I didn't have a job to go to each and every day.

I don't miss working b/c I figure this is my "break" from working, I worked from age 16 to 32 full time with another part-time job on the side from age 27-30 and will likely work most all of my life after the kids are older even if only part-time, but I do miss the people I used to work with a lot. So I am enjoying my break from working for an employer right now, but I do miss the atmosphere of working together with others for a common goal shared in the both the day care center and the grocery store I worked at part-time. My husband is a very kind and generous man though who pays me $300 a week to stay home with the kids and take care of the home so I still get to shop and have some "fun" money. The first 2 years at home weren't like that, we barely made it and I had to get my clothes at church giveaways we couldn't even afford Goodwill, but I still would have continued to stay home but it sure was more challenging then and I am glad things are better now, it makes it less stressful.

As far as what to do, mostly I clean clean and clean some more. The housework when children are at home is much more than when they make their messes in day care! I had my oldest in day care and am finding that out!

Other than that I write books when I have some inspiration and time to. The days do go quickly, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen to, seems like no sooner is breakfast over it is time to make lunch then dinner, and 3 times in the kitchen cleaning up with 2 snacks a day, and kids helping you cook takes a lot of time up! it just really does keep you busy!

Other than that I spend the day playing, lots of play when you stay home. We do art time at least 3 times per week, music and movement in the home, have to make sure they get out or get some form of indoor physical exercise that is also fun at least an hour a day! Then you have errands to run and appointments to keep, eye doctor's dentists etc. The days do go fast!

I drop into bed as tired most nights as when I worked yet not stressed out because I have no "boss" to answer to but my very understanding husband who is a very easy person to please and I like that a lot.

If both my kids were in school I would work part-time I would not stay home all day with out them, maybe one day a week I would that would be nice! But really I think those are the Moms that make up the brunt of PTA's and spend a lot of time volunteering at the school and coaching kid's sports, stuff like that.

Edited by DiamondRing

I love working from home...but I also have a part time job teaching K-5 in the mornings...so I get to enjoy a little of both. I know for many people they enjoy connecting with others in the work world. Myself...I love the flexibility that comes with working at home.

I work the night shift 3 times a week 12 hours 7p-7a. I get to spend most of the week and all weekend with my kids. I don't miss much except when they are asleep and a bit of the morning get ready for school two days a week. I sleep when they are at school. I love what I do, I love my job( but right now I am not happy with some of the things my employer is doing), and I love where my profession is able to take me in the future. I feel that this is what GOD has called me to do. I feel that some time away from my kids makes me a better Mom as well. My kids see me working hard and knowing that not only are we a team working in our home together, but I am acheiving my dream for myself a little at a time. I also want my kids to know the importance of an education. I want them to get it before then have a family, and learn from me. I do enjoy the adult time interacting with my coworkers without my kids too.

I have worked at home and away from home, both are challenging in that I felt guilty leaving my kids when I worked away from home, and when I am home it's hard to keep up with the messes and cleanups.

I am a legal assistant . . . and although I like what I do, I so want to be at home! I am in the process of taking online courses for medical transcriptionist so that I can work from home. I agree with momma2mak . . . both are probably challenging. But I so desire to be able to stay home. Of course, staying at home and not working is not an option for my husband and I at this point. But - - - I'm still praying.

See that's what always bothered me as a daycare teacher, so many Moms who wanted to stay with thier kids who were working, some left in tears after dropping off the kids, always broke my heart. This is why I don't like to say I am a stay at home mom anymore, b/c I have been on both sides as a former single mom and this title can make other mom's who have to work feel bad, I say I am just a housewife, hoping that will make them feel better off than me, like they have a higher purpose than I do for being called to work (and maybe they do), but not make them feel inferior as mothers.

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but today this caught my eye. It just made me think of how different seasons can be for us moms. I remember just mourning the day I was going to have to go back to work. I quit my job as a teacher when I got pregnant with my first child. I LOVED staying home with each of my four girls. When it was time to go back, I was NOT liking the idea. I remember praying everyday that first year back to work that God would make a provision for me to stay home. Now, six years later, we have all adjusted, and I LOVE my job. I realize that God is using me where I am, and this is His perfect will for me! Being off when my kids are off is a huge plus.

I'm self-employed and enjoy (for the most part) my work. However, I do strive to see things from God's perspective whatever the activity. Meaning, I want to make certain that whatever I'm doing Christ is at the center and His will is the reason I am participating. We know that when we commit our way to the Lord, He gives us the desire of our hearts (Psalm 37:4). Meaning, some women will have a desire to work outside the home, some do not. Some have the desire to marry, some do not. Following God's lead rather than man's or my own prevents me from allowing the judgments of others to effect me.

Though we get to spend less time with my kids, I still love working and always find time for them. It's a matter of security for the future for the whole family.

I am a 5th grade teacher full time. I love it! Although I will say that I was called to be a teacher at age 5, so God has worked it out. :-)

I joke sometimes, that I could never be a full time MOM. I love my two boys (2 and 5) dearly, and cherish every moment with them. I am totally a hands on mom; my husband and I have never taken a trip since my oldest was born, and have only gone on maybe 5 dates since kids at all. We both feel that since we are busy, we would rather spend our time off with our family.

I know some call us crazy. But I want it all, and I am particular about things; so is my husband.

I wouldn't give up teaching for anything.

This is the first year I will be "at home" for 10 years - I resigned my teaching position after 7 years because I realized it really isn't what God is calling me to do. My son (from 1st relationship) will be in 4th grade, so I don't really need to stay at home, but my husband of 1 1/2 years and I are thinking of starting a family soon, and I would love nothing more than to be at home with them until they are in school. I hated bringing Garrett to his sitter's house, and this had nothing to do with her...she was amazing! I just felt guilty that he didn't get what I got growing up.

I think this is different for everyone - you don't need to feel bad if you are one of those moms who "has" to be at work because you'd go nuts being at home all day. As long as you are spending the quality time when you do get home, and you feel you are using your gifts to God's glory, continue doing so! Likewise, you don't need to downplay the fact that you are a stay at home mom and call yourself "just" a housewife. What job could be more important than modeling through words and actions for your own children how to live a Christian life?

Praying all of us find our true value in Christ's salvation, and not by the career decision(s) we have made.

Edited by GarrettMom01
typos

I work part time and would love to stay at home. I LOVE my job but I LOVE my kids and am having trouble doing both since our 2nd came 6 mos ago(back to work for 3) I'm actually torn because my husband wants me to work right right but when I pray all so often (and when I am driving to work) I feel like God is telling me to stay at home with them. How can I do this being Christian I am to submit to my husband right? We are having difficulties right now and a lot if the ways he is teaching and disciplining the little ones I just don't agree with. Not that it's abusive but I just don't think he takes parenting as serious and Christian parenting as serious as I do. Help!! Any advice and prayers are greatly appreciated! Thank you, God bless you all, in Jesus name, Amen.

Sign in to follow this  

Welcome to ChristianMom!

Celebrating 20 years of online fellowship, friendship and inspiration for Mom's of all ages.  Join our discussions today!

Find us on Social Media

ChristianMom Staff

christianmom christianmom Administrators
admin admin Administrators