Sign in to follow this  
DiamondRing

Caribbean Chicken and Pineapple Salsa

This was a great way to bring the Tropics to the table for an othrwise cold night in January! (Although in Oregon it feels like March in PA already, 50's but rainy)! It is a beautifully colored dish, healthy, high in fiber, low-fat and tastes delicious!

Recipe Tip:

Favorite Fruits

Fruits offer a host of nutrients including vitamin C to accompany their great taste. Be sure to get at least 2 to 3 servings of fruit daily.

Thirty-minute dinner! Dijon and jerk seasoning jazz up baked chicken breasts while bran cereal adds crunch. A peppy fruit salsa makes a sassy topper. From eatbetteramerica.com

Prep Time:15 min

Start to Finish:30 min

makes:4 servings

Chicken

1 1/4 cups Fiber One® original bran cereal

2 teaspoons jerk seasoning (dry)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce

Pineapple Salsa

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained

1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper

1/4 cup chopped apricots or papaya, if desired

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and finely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor). Place cereal in shallow dish. Stir in jerk seasoning.

2. In large food-storage plastic bag, place chicken, buttermilk, mustard and pepper sauce. Seal bag; shake well. Remove chicken from bag; coat with cereal mixture. Place on cookie sheet.

3. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Meanwhile, mix salsa ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until serving time. Serve with chicken.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 17 to 19 minutes.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 85mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 9g, Sugars 11g); Protein 34g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 10%; Iron 25% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 4 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

I served it with sides of brown rice (though I do put a lot of butter in my rice and make it with whole milk instead of water, and steamed petite green beans (w/butter)!

Edited by DiamondRing

Halibut with tomato basil salsa

SERVES 4

Ingredients

2 tomatoes, diced

2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

4 halibut fillets, each 4 ounces

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine the tomato, basil, oregano and garlic. Add the olive oil and mix well.

Arrange the halibut fillets in the baking pan. Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish. Place in the oven and bake until the fish is opaque throughout when tested with the tip of a knife, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Transfer to individual plates and serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis

per serving

Serving size: 1 fillet

Calories160

Cholesterol36 mg

Protein24 g

Sodium65 mg

Carbohydrate3 g

Fiber1 g

Total fat5 g

Potassium672 mg

Saturated fat1 g

Calcium66 mg

Monounsaturated fat3 g

By the way, to whom the biotualet is necessary, come I recommend biotualet.

That looks good and nutritous for the baby and me, when i get an oven again I shall try it. For those on the East Coast of USA-I never made halibut when at home b/c it was not sold fresh-now on west I cannot find Haddock fresh but now I know you can interchange the two fish in any recipe-they are so similar.