Sign in to follow this  
usmcmrs

Birthday Ideas

I am having a milestone birthday in a few months and I usually don't get to do much, my husband doesn't really plan things. He is one of those guys who thinks that whatever he has planned I won't LOVE and it won't be the best thing ever, so, therefore he just won't plan anything. I told him this year I would like to have a nice birthday and he is looking for ideas and that means I am too. We are new to Massachusetts and I'll be going through my guide books and such to see what there is to do, but I was wondering what some of your favorite Birthdays were. I wish we were home in Arizona because then I'd just like to have my family and friends over, but that's just not feasible this time around. So ideas or memories you'd like to share would be appreciated.

A weekend trip is always nice for a couple to be able to get away but we usually just go out to eat, the most memorable birthday for me was the one my husband proposed on (30) after dinner out, very romantic!

But the next one (the first year we were married) he just said Happy Birthday in the morning and I got NOTHING!!!!Not even flowers a card or a cake! NOTHING!!!!

That would be the second most memorable birthday I had-I threw the biggest fit I ever had in my life, things were literally thrown across the room at him and crashed into the wall behind him, I packed my bag and my daughters and threatened to leave him, but ended up not doing that but it was bad-real bad. I went to bed in a fit of tears and wouldn't let him sleep in the bed-he had to go down on the couch! I was pregnant at the time so hormones weren't helping me be calm!

The next day he came home with two bags of presents for me, an assortment of stuff, a dozen red roses, a card (with a written apology)and a chocolate cake from the bakery!

I forgave him but every year my daughter reminds him to never forget again to buy me a birthday gift! And he hasn't since!

Edited by DiamondRing

I live in a household of men (my hubby & 3 boys)...So, this year for the first time ever, I ordered myself a cake from a friend who has her own cake business. Oh, it was so pretty and just as delicious as it looked!

I sent my husband to go pick it up and pay for it. After sharing it with me, he commented that we got our money's worth. It was delicious...but the beautiful cake that was made just for me made me feel special.

So, I recommend doing something that will make you feel really special for the day. It only comes once a year!

We've been trying to come up with something, but what I really want is to throw a big party with all my friends and family. In two years when our duty here is over it will be close to my birthday again and so I told him we'll just head back home and I'll throw an "I'm not 30 anymore but this is my 30th Birthday Bash". That sounds good to me.

You could have a picnic in your living room. Put the picnic tablecloth on the floor, have your favorite music playing, decorate with items of your favorite color. Pretty glasses with your favorite beverage, scented candles. In the picnic basket, instead of food, would be your birthday gifts. Then maybe you could dance if you guys like to dance, and just have a great time together. Some fun way to celebrate until you get back home. I know it sounds more like a Valentine's deal, but it really is fun to do for a birthday, too. You want to be home, and I understand that, since we moved away from my family and I haven't been able to celebrate with family and friends, either. So I hope you find a fun way to bring in your birthday until you get home. Happy Birthday to you in advance! God bless :)

Thanks for the suggestion cookie, it sounds like a nice thing to do, but I'm not the romantic picnic kinda girl,actually I don't think I like anything that most would consider romantic, and since I am home almost 80% of the week, I want out!!!

I am thinking that we may try to hit up the liberty hotel which is a fancy shmancy hotel that was built out of what used to be jail. It's got cell themed rooms ( not that we would stay there but they have one open for people to check out I think) and a really good restaurant and either the Restaurant or the bar is called The Clink. Also, I am kind of interested in visiting the Lizzie Borden house which has been converted into a B&B. They have tours and you can eat there I think, I know you can stay there, and that might be something to do. I'd even like to get out to a Basketball or Baseball game. I've been jotting down ideas and I'll hand my completed list over to my husband, if he knows those are things I want to do he'll take care of it, his problem isn't in the execution of a task, it's in coming up with the idea for it. But, I'll still be looking forward to my " I'm not 30 anymore but this is my 30th Birthday bash" party!

Ah, I gotcha LOL. I'm a SAHM and I love to get out of the house, too :) I'm the mint leaves in the ice cubes and sorbet kind of girl myself, and my suggestion is very, as my hubby tells me all the time, "Martha Stewartish." Boy do I know how it feels to miss family and friends. I pray you have a blast turning 30 - it's special to celebrate your life, wherever you are.

Not being at home is hard, I can relate too. My birthday is the day before my Mom's and we always celebrated together on my Mom's Day with a big Birthday dinner the whole family came to, my step dad would bake 2 cakes, chocolate for me, yellow for her and it was our tradition, when we lived in Virginia it was easy to visit home but not now, I missed it last year and I know my Mom did too, but we went out to eat and I made the best the best of it for my daughter's sake (she was still so excited to be out b/c she told them to sing me Happy Birthday with my slice of cake at the restaurant-and it was so fun for her, usually my husband arranged it the night we'd eat out on my Birthday, but this is the tradition she'll remember fondly now). Hopefully replacing the one we didn't go on-and that was b/c my husband was unemployed that year, money was so tight and he felt like a big loser, he was so depressed to be out of work-so he acted like one big jerk-all year that year-but Jesus has truly worked a miracle there and things are so much better now than then and getting better everyday!

The point, it is so normal to hurt, but look at the family you do have around you, count your Blessings and rejoice in that Blessing know matter what you end up doing.

But as long as your choosing-pick something you enjoy but also what those who are with you can enjoy with you as well, if your husband is not a romantic, it might end up only making him tense to try and create a romantic atmosphere, if he enjoys sports and so do you, then I would advice doing something you both can enjoy and be relaxed in that environment, it is the time with each other that you'll remember most. If he is romantic, then that is fine of course, for me, I am the one who does not like romantic things and my husband had to adjust to that, it makes me feel uncomfortable and he had to really change to be more family oriented for me instead. Now that he has learned the sexiest thing he can do for me is run around a playground playing with our kids, then giving me a back massage while watching TV together, with a bottle of beer not a glass of champagne or wine, nothing romantic except maybe a candle lit-our marriage works way better b/c I am relaxed and can be myself.

Edited by DiamondRing

Diamondring- Oh no I do not like romantic stuff at all, so there is no pressure there for him to make something romantic. I think the suggestions I have are all things he would want to do to, the liberty hotel would be cool because he is a MP/Correctional officer, the Lizzie Borden house is something we both talked about visiting at some point during our duty here in Massachusetts and the sports events...he's in to that for sure.

I don't think I am hurt by not being near my family, it's something I've gotten used too since I've been the wife to an active duty Marine and we move around so much. I guess I just miss them more at times like these and it would be nice to be with them, but I know I'll be seeing them soon. In fact I think our count down is now to two years four months and two weeks!!! I can't wait.

Thanks for sharing your birthday stories with me ladies, it's fun to hear how everyone celebrates.

Hey, what's everyone done for anniversaries? Like I said, we are not romantics, but here is our funny story about our anniversaries. We had eloped and had planned a nice dinner out on the day of our elopement and..well...things didn't go as we had planned and we ended up starving and having to go through McDonald's drive thru and ordering off the $1 menu. Ha ha, so every year ( it's only been 7) since then we hit up the $1 menu at McDonald's in celebration of that day. Last years was pretty awesome since it was the first time we had to tack on a Happy meal and this years was pretty cool because the next day I was being induced and our son would be coming.

That's neat. We haven't any traditions, it is has been a different activity each year, this year we went to Seattle. Last year we went to local farm show and the year before I had given birth the week before so we stayed home and watched movies and ordered pizza. I recall having frozen peas on my engorged painful boobs-how romantic is that!