Sign in to follow this  
momsense

The Best Day of Your Life

This was the title of this past Sunday sermon. It was awesome!

The key scripture is 1 Timothy 6:6 & 7 "But Godliness with Contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." (NIV)

So from reading this passage we can know that there are 2 must haves:

Godliness and Contentment

Godliness = God Centered Living 1 Cor. 10:31 Godliness is mentioned 12 times in Timothy!

Godliness flees and pursues. 1 Timothy 6:4,5,11

4: A Godless man is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that end in

envy, strife,malicious talk and evil substances.

5: There is constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth.

11: But you, man of God, flee from all this and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

Godliness fights the good fight of faith. 1 Timothy 6:12

12: Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

There is an old Indian wise tale about the story of two wolves living in each man. The younger Indian asks the Grandfather, "How do you know which wolf lives?" The Grandfather responds, "Whichever one you feed."

So feed your faith; don't feed evil thoughts into yourself.

Godliness comes through our knowledge of God. Titus 1:1 & 3

1: Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the sake of the

faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness.

3: His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence.

Godliness must be worked for. 1 Timothy 4:7 & 8

7: Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train (or work) yourself for godliness.

8: for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.

Are you working at being Godly?

How are you training for Godliness?

Also, remember this.

Contentment is priceless. 1 Timothy 6: 9 & 10

9: People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.

10: For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Some people eager for money have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Contentment = not having all you want but wanting only what you have.

Be okay with what you have. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do your best and strive to be better and have more, but stay in the faith and be content with what you have. God has no tolerance for complainers. (remember the Israelites in the desert for 40 years?)

Contentment understands God's ownership. Job 1:21

21: And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord".

God owns it all. Not you and not me. One thing I've never heard of is a person entering heaven pulling a u-haul. Don't ever turn your back on God and make sure that whatever you are seeking is God's will.

Contentment understands God's sustainability. Philippians 4:11

11: Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned that in whatever situation, I am to be content. I know how to be brought low and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned

the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

If God brings you to it; He can bring you through it!

So...what is the best day of your life? Today. Right here, right now.

Be content with today. Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present!

I love when a sermon connects with me an reinvigorates my day. Timothy's always renews my faith during the hard times, and struggle daily life can be. Gospel classes such as gospel light have helped me learn so much more about my faith. Just as your post has don it isso important to remember that we learn more about gods teaching and plan for us just by living everyday that he has gives us.