Sign in to follow this  
christianmom

Thyroid issues? Hashimoto's?

Hi! Does anyone else here have thyroid issues?

I went from being made fun of because I was always too skinny, to someone everyone was politely kind to because I started looking a bit "weightish", as my 10 year old would politely try to say.

After plantar fascists from too many years of running, my exercise routine came to a screeching halt and I found out just how easy it is to gain weight.

A pain in my throat took me to the doctor days before Easter when I was to sing a solo at 3 different services with about 1,000 people each at my church. I figured I was doomed after years of singing solos, in ensembles and choirs and bands. I figured I had nodules on my vocal chords and surgery would be my only option.

Much to my surprise, the nodules weren't anywhere to be found on my vocal chords and they were in perfect shape (Praise God!), but there *were* nodules on my thyroid gland and I would spend the next 2 years getting ultrasounds every few months to check for signs of cancer!

Side note: the pain in my throat? An ENT found what he called a sort of 'silent' acid reflux that didn't usually cause heartburn, but just the top edge of my esophagus was irritated. A 14 day course of Prilosec OTC and the pain was gone and has only returned once in 2 years after a meal heavy with garlic (garlic=trigger=take it easy on the garlic), and another 14 day course of the purple pills made it disappear.

I went to an endocrinologist who put me on thyroid medication right away, and at my next visit diagnosed me with Hashimoto's disease (where your immune system attacks your thyroid gland). Long story as short as I can make it...I've been on synthetic thyroid ever since and it did shrink the nodules. Fatigue and weight loss and numerous other symptoms have plagued me, but I'm on an additional medication and it IS helping with my fatigue which in turn will help me to be more active and continue on the road to returning to much better health!

God has used this to show me (again), you never ever know what people are going through and why they might be struggling with their weight and never to judge. I can't wait for the day I'm at a more ideal weight and feel healthy again. I think I can do it, I pray I can do it, and it's a daily challenge, but one I think is very worth it.

I don't want to use this as an excuse, but it is a start to show me what MY individual body needs and how I can best keep it in good, wait, let's say GREAT shape. It's given me a strategy and made me reengage in what a healthy lifestyle looks like and reminding me that God wants me to take care of this body he's given me.

Let me know if you have any similar stories or issues!

Thanks,

Carla

ChristianMom