christianmom

Forgotten God - Francis Chan

I am currently doing a small group Book Club style study on this book. This past fall I did a women's bible study on the same book. I love Francis Chan but his videos always leave me wanting more info, and he's great at sparking discussions. Has anyone read it and what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Interesting, let me do some checking into this author.  I like books that keeps you wanting more.

My thoughts 03 24 2020

God has an interesting look on experiencing the Holy Spirit, in His Word.

I am at a place in my life where I need to get away in the right place and ask God, what is His will for my life again? As I keep following him, and his path for my life. He brings up the point of finding the Holy Spirit, by ministering to the poor. I can admit that at times my focus has been off. When Chan mention the poor, the Holy Spirit spoke directly to me, this scripture.

Matthew 5:3-12 King James Version (KJV)

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

I truly want the Holy Spirit to guide me in all truths. I am His temple. I certainly want to keep in step with Him. Finding that place and time to get alone with him and be prepared to listen and slow to speak, has been my short coming. I pray that God will strengthen me during this time to minister to the poor in spirit, the morn, the meek, those who hunger and thirst, the pure in heart, peace maker and those who are persecuted …

Chan’s book is certainly starting off as a reminder of what we are called to do. When I say we, I am included in that, God spoke clearly to me in this case.

Most People would love to hear the voice of God

My thoughts 03 25 2020

Hearing God’s voice was something I desired to hear. I wondered how could that be? How is it possible? After reading and studying the Word of God, I began to hear his voice. I found that His voice had been written in the Holy Bible, and when I have questions, that voice of His is delivered to me through the Holy Spirit.

Once hearing his voice, I found the truth about myself. I was happy. But when giving God complete control, hearing his voice was an eye opener. I was happy, but I found that happy wasn’t truly happiness, there was a lot of things I had to change to be transformed into His image. You see changing is not comfortable for the most part.

I felt, how life was going I was transitioning to where God wanted me. Even at a time when I thought things were going in the right direction, God showed me that it was time to move forward.

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

I felt like, hold on, let me live here for a moment. But yet He wants us to learn to take the risk to trust him, and to follow his lead. Learning to following him, and hearing his voice just know the stakes are higher. God has called us to so much more.

Are you running the plays in your life, and sharing with others after Sunday’s Worship?

My thoughts 03 25 2020 continue

I had to ask myself this question. Like Chan, I was excited to get out and do the work of God. As a child I thought that the work was church work, such as singing, being an usher, teaching little children or making the announcement, all had to do with the enter working of the church.

So, as I continued to attend church on Sundays it became what I was taught to do. It was not until I had my daughter, that I really began to realize that I wanted more of God. I found myself not having a personal relationship with Him.

From there I began to get educated to learn of Him, and His ways. I learned that we are to be stewards for God and his plans for the world. I attended and completed, catechism learning the bible by questions, and answers, Bible College in Biblical Studies, and finally completed the master’s program in Biblical Foundation.

Chan talks about education gives you pride, and the feeling of being fearful as well. I realized that these elements had contributed to diminishing my passion in running the plays in my own life as well as sharing with others.

Now, I find that I needed some alone time with God, to ask Him what is next. I came across this book through ChristianMom, and I’m beginning to now return to my passion.  Chan mention in his book, Revelation chapter 2 where God talks about to the church about getting back to their first love. That passion that we had when we first got saved. When I got saved and came to this site, I had that passion to want to do my part in sharing Jesus with the world, and I started that right here on this site.

One of the things that really stuck with me in this chapter is where Chan mentioned Act chapter 4 where Peter, and John were uneducated common men, with the power of the Holy Spirit having that passion to run the plays given by God, and is so need in the world today.

The Holy Spirit is how we maintain that passion, with studies, education and do what He has called us to do.

Why do I want the Holy Spirit?

My thoughts 03 26 2020 continues Chan’s Chapter 4

My reason for wanting the Holy Spirit was to become closer to God. I have learned now that it was to sustain you, and give you power for the work of the ministry. 

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (Eph 4:10-13[KJV])

I like how Chan has reveals in his book that it is for “the common good to help people.”[1]

I liked his concept of praying a prayer before you begin to help others. Ask God to

1.       Speak to us in order to help the people

2.       Humble me that they will know that He is God and not us.

He is working through us and not us doing the work with pride. I have always thought that it is a good idea to have a mentor to be honest with us, to help us received the truth about ourselves.

[1] Francis Chan, Forgotten God.

Welcome to ChristianMom!

Celebrating 20 years of online fellowship, friendship and inspiration for Mom's of all ages.  Join our discussions today!

Find us on Social Media

ChristianMom Staff

christianmom christianmom Administrators
admin admin Administrators