I am what I consider a gentle parent but think i need to start spanking my kids, i have been majorly lacking in disciplining them and things are out of control. I really do believe you can correctly spank and still be a gentle parent though and I know what a spanking should and should not be- calm, controlled, talked about, not in anger etc... but how do you actually do the spanking ? It seems like some people do a swat with the hand over clothes to multiple swats on the bare bottom with a wooden spoon or paddle. Growing up we were spanked sometimes but never a consistent way... Children are 2.5 and 5. And what do you do when they won’t let you spank them? I am 100% positive my oldest isn’t going to willingly go over my lap to be spanked. How would you introduce it? Thank you! 

well you could have a family meeting and explain the new rules and exactly what will earn a spanking, i always say to spank bare bottom, pretty soundly. I was spanked as a girl, often help advise other mothers on discipline issues. feel free to get in touch. cassiekfamily@yandex.com

Hello! Are you sure you should do it? I think your children will only be afraid of you.  There is no point in spanking at my children, as they are only angrier and behave worse. I agree that we were spanked but i see no point to do it if you love your children and have time to explain that their behavior is wrong. Whe were we spanked? - because my mom was always too busy to talk to me and she just spanked me believing that I will understand my mistake. Well, I am still not understanding. 

I tried to be gentle with my DD (7 and 8). Now they don't respect me. I didn't want to spank because I grew up being physically abused. i never wanted to do that to my kids. But I have to spank them now for the same reason: they DONT respect me. They tell me to my face that I won't do anything if they get in trouble, so they do what they want. My advice is to start spanking them. Everytime disrespect or disobedience is shown, spank them. They'll get it eventually. People think they will be afraid of you if you spank them. That's simply not true. They will respect you for enforcing your word. Now if you slap them across the face or upside the head, then they will be afraid of you. But if you keep it on the butt, no problem

Edited by Sunshyne