Sign in to follow this  
amypk

Baby Waking

Hi! I'm new to this. I came across this site by accident and thought I'd see if anyone could help me. I have a 16 month old daughter who we've spoiled by giving a bottle and rocking to sleep. Now she still needs this to get to sleep and it still takes at least an hour to get her down. After we finally get her down, a few hours later she wakes up and it takes a couple hours to get her back to sleep. We've tried letting her cry it out, but she just gets upset and vomits. Does anyone have any advice on this? In the afternoons I can just stick her in her bed and she plays with her bear and falls asleep. Thanks for your help! It's so wonderful to find a support group for Christian moms.

I have a 19 month old, who also gets a bottle and rocked to sleep. She goes through phases where she wakes up at night. It took us about two weeks to figure out her night light was casting shadows on the walls. She'd wake up and raise her hand up and see the shadow and get spooked. We changed the direction of the night light and it helped.

Sometimes my daughter will wake up thirsty. I'll walk in, stick a bottle in her mouth, and walk out. I don't say anything or give her any eye contact. I know she's to old for a middle of the night bottle BUT.... She's teething so maybe not eating as much as she should be. It's hot so she's thirsty. Hey all I know is it usually works and we both get to go back to sleep. I've learned to do it as quickly and uneventful as possible. If I'm in there more than a few seconds, I blew it.

Another thought--her room looks different during the day than it does at night. Are there different noises in the house before nap time and bedtime? Maybe try the same routine for bedtime that you use for nap time. My daughter is a creature of habit. She's also the most resistive to sleep when she's over tired.

If your anything like me, you wish you never started the routine of rocking to sleep. I just have to remind myself that I can't turn back the clock to do things differently. All I can do is move forward from here. Hope this helps. And ---God never gives us more than we can handle, even though my prayer sometimes is "so, I can handle this huh?" God says yes and then shows me how. Good luck. Sunshines Mom.

I agree with the ' no hanging around' at night.

Since my wee ones were born , I've tried to do all the 'night things ' as quickly , quietly and as darkly as possible. [even in hospital to the consternaton of the nurses ]

So that they get to realise that darktime is sleep time . No fun and games or extra attention. Even now they have blackout blinds and just a plug-in glowlight.

Perhaps you should tailoff the rocking to sleep , gradually so she gets used to actually FALLING ASLEEP in bed , rather than being put in bed ASLEEP.

I'm sure others wil have more suggestions.

Wonka2

One thing I've learned is that when a baby is teething, sleep schedules gets all mixed up. My son- he's 21 months- loves to sleep. He giggles when we lay him down. But when he's teething, he won't go to sleep unless I hold him. I just remind myself (and my husband) that as soon as the teething spell is over, he'll be back to his usual routine.

Now, my daughter on the other hand...She's a strong-willed-child!!! She's also our oldest, so naturally we made mistakes with her. She would only nurse to sleep. I could only put her down when she was dead-out. AND she would still wake up as much as five or six times a night! What a tired and grumpy mommy I was with her! She's 3-and-a-half and she still wakes up most nights wanting a glass of milk. So what have I learned? Grin and bear it. You may be tired and agitated now, but she will soon outgrow this stage and a new one will begin. There is a country song that tells about when your children are grown and the house is silent. It make you realize that all the trouble you go through to raise your kids is all worht it in the end.

One more thing to mention. I am in the process of miscarrying our third baby. The baby has been dead for a month now, and I am sadly just waiting for it's liitle body to emerge. Going through this really helps me to see that no matter how difficult times are with your children, enjoy them, because you never know when they will be gone. I have been through so much stress trying to find a midwife to deliver this baby. Now, I don't need to worry about that anymore; but I would so much rather have that stress than lose my precious little one. And to think I was worried about the pain of labor!

Have you tried just giving her a sippy cup at night -instead of the bottle? My girlfriend with a 2 year old just broke her daughter of the bottle by just saying that the bottle was all gone-and here is your cup. Her daughter was fine with that.

I have started putting a sippy in the crib with my 22 month old. That way she has it if she wants it.

The vomiting thing may be something different than just needing a bottle-she may just not want to go to bed. I dont know.

Everyone has their way of doing things. Fortunately I havent had a problem with bedtime, I think because I dealt with it early on.

A book that is really good that has helped me with these sort of things is "Baby Wise" and "Child Wise" by Gary Ezzo. It has helped me with alot of challenges that we all face with babies and toddlers.

Good luck and God bless. Carissa

Waking

Thanks so much for your advice! I will definitely try the "bottle is gone" with her tomorrow. I don't think it should be too hard because she is on the sippy cup all day and only has the bottle at night for comfort but it doesn't put her to sleep anymore. I do have a praise report that she is sleeping through the night again. My mom remembered that she had the same problem with my brother and that I should give her a snack before bed, so I started giving her yogurt before bed and it works. She's been sleeping all night. Thanks again for your advice.

waking

Hi there

I am new to this site. I have an 8 month old and about 6 of the 7 days of the week he sleeps through the night. For some reason one night of the week he is up at about 3:00am crying. It takes about an hour and a half to get him back to sleep. The last time he did it, I let him cry it out and boy did he cry!! He cried for 40 minutes and then he fell asleep. The crying was horrible for me and the next time he wakes up, I'm not sure if I am going to be able to listen to him cry! The only thing that I can think of is if he didn't have a long enough nap during the day, it seems to be that night that he wakes up. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not. Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Oh and by the way, I too nurse and rock him to sleep.

God Bless,

newmomof1

We live behind a Publix and there are trucks going and coming all night. And I figured out that sometimes the trucks wake her up at night because she's a very light sleeper (unlike me). Do you have any big trucks around your house? Sometimes the garbage trucks pick up in the middle of the night too. It's very frustrating when that happens.

I have always run a fan in my daughters room. It may not be a good habit for her to have but it has worked for me. I live in an apartment right now and it drowns out the sounds so she can sleep. My house is being built now and I wont continue this when we are there, but for the time being it works.