christianmom

Bible Study - Life in Heaven?

Most of the Bible wouldn't make sense if there were no hell. Since Jesus spoke of hell more often than heaven I think it would be foolish to be believe there is none. I do believe hell was not a place God ever intended for humans to go to and that He prepared it for satan and all the angels that chose to follow satan in their rebellion against God in seeking to cause us humans harm.

Edited by DiamondRing
typo

you would think than that everybody would go to heaven unless they are just pure evil. Since humans sin and we can't be perfect it's impossible we can only do the best we know how and God knows that than why would anyone go to hell.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT...

SALVATION AND THE NEW BIRTH?

All of mankind is sinful, thus separated from the holiness of God. The Bible says that men and women can only find salvation in Christ Jesus.

"For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

What exactly is sin? Is there any final authority on this subject?

The Bible says that sin is a heart condition. It is a condition of rebellion against God, which stems from pride. The Bible even refers to pride as "original sin." The Hebrew definition of the word sin means "to miss the mark." God created us to be like Him, but our pride and rebellion make us fall far short of that purpose. Our actions, though they may be "sinful" are really only the fruit of our rebellion against God. Our outward actions merely mirror our true inner condition. It is our true inner condition that God is concerned with. He knows the "real you" better than you yourself do, because he sees "the inner man" and all your secret thoughts and motives.

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." Hebrews 4:13 (NIV)

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

Though one may lead a "good life" on the outside, God looks on the heart. It is the nature of man to look on the outward, but outward appearances can be deceiving.

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity." Matt. 23:27-28

We cannot deal with our sin by "cleaning ourselves up" the outside, when our problem is a heart condition. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." John 8:34 We are all slaves to our sinful nature, and we can only be cleansed from within.

Since sin is the root cause of all our troubles, we must deal with our sin first if we want less troubles in our lives. How do we get rid of sin? God tells us in His Word that by nature we are "...dead in trespasses and sin;" (Ephesians 2:1) and that we are "...alienated from the life of God..." (Ephesians 4:18). Just as a body without physical life is declared physically dead, so anyone who is separated from God is described in the Bible as spiritually dead. As long as we remain spiritually dead, we cannot know God.

We all need a new life. We need to be cleansed from sin and it's penalty (which is death) and restored to fellowship with God who made us all. That is what Jesus Christ (God's Son) meant when He said we "must be born again" (John 3:7). "...Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). Without the experience of the "new birth" we have no hope of enjoying the glories of heaven nor escaping the terrors of hell. Have you been born again?

The "new birth" is not a religion, not living up to a creed, not a set of rituals, nor joining a church or denomination. It's a transformation. Our old nature is changed and we receive a new one. Old things pass away and all things become new in Christ. We receive a new heart, new desires, new ideas, and a new direction because of this new nature. A birth is the coming into being of a new life which has the nature of its parents. When you were born the first time, you were made a partaker of the nature of natural man. When you are born again, you become a partaker of the divine nature (II Peter 1:4). God can become your heavenly Father.

The greatest attribute of God is that He is a God of love. He loves you and me. He loves all sinners and wants to save every one of us from hell and the terrible results of our sin. His Word tells us, "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). "For He hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (II Corinthians 5:21). God hates sin because of what it produces-- war, sickness, poverty, etc., but God loves the sinner.

God sent Jesus Christ, His only Son, so that we might have new, everlasting life. The Bible tells us, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). By His death and resurrection, Jesus paid for our salvation. He broke the power of sin and death, making it possible for us to have everlasting life. The life of God raised Jesus from the dead and He was the first born Son into the kingdom of God.

"Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence" (Colossians 1:12-18).

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was nailed to a cross by ungodly men for no sin of His own. He was an innocent man-- the only man who was ever perfect and sinless. He never sinned, yet He took your sins and mine by taking an unjust death. Because He did this willingly, He was raised from the dead by His Father and given life and authority over the powers of darkness. God now imparts that same life and authority to all those who come receiving His provision for their sin. "...the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (I John 1:7)

We must accept God's Word that says we all are sinners and know that it is sin that separates us from God and repent or "turn away" from that sin. Until we each acknowledge, and ask forgiveness for our own guilt, we will never be free from it. It will eventually lead us right into hell.

"The Lord is...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (II Peter 3:9)

God wants to give us His power over sin. We cannot conquer sin without that power. God wants to give us life for death, beauty for ashes, health for sickness, joy for grief, peace for strife, love for hate. God's Word says, "...I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). Do you want abundant life? This abundant life comes only as we are born again and as we follow on and receive all that God promises us.

It isn't always easy following God, but nothing worthwhile ever was. You may be ridiculed and persecuted. You will face many temptations to fall back into your old nature. But you can be assured that God is with you, and He will give you power to overcome every one of them.

"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." Phil 3:7-9

You can pray right now and ask God to come into your heart and receive the new birth. Simply talk to Him as you would talk to another person. You might pray a prayer similar to this:

God, I come to you in the name of Jesus,

I do not know you personally,

but I want to know you.

I believe that Your Word, the Bible is true.

I repent for hardening my heart toward you,

and delighting myself in things you hate.

I don't want to go to hell;

I really want to be free of my sin.

Dear God, I ask Jesus to come into my heart

and cleanse me of the guilt of my sins

and give me the power to overcome those sins.

I want to be Your child and learn of Your ways.

Keep me from evil and save my soul.

I am asking to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord

so that I can experience God's love and plan for my life.

Amen

If you said that prayer and meant it from your heart, you are now a child of God.

If you received the Lord into your heart, welcome to the family of God!

I don't need to pray to ask God into my heart I have been saved since I was 4, I feel as though you think I need saved and I don't because I already am and have been for 36 yrs. Not arguing or being disrespectful. You don't need to convince me of what the Bible says I already know and I agree with it for the most part. I know how to pray, I have the gifts of tongues and visions they are probably a little rusty but i have had them and have used them. I even prophecied twice when I was in high school during a prayer meeting for youth group.

I just wonder sometimes if what all this we are doing is for nothing. I guess I have never been permitted to question anything. If i did as a kid I was told that God and the Bible were never to be questioned or doubted ever unless I wanted to go to hell. I was told that questioning God was blasphesm and a sin. But that isn't true, It's Ok to question God and your faith. My entire life growing up was built around the fact that Jesus was coming any minute and yet here I am 36 1/2 yrs later and the second coming and end times still aren't here. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, because some day I believe it will. I just have always heard other christians say it's near and yet here we are all these yrs later. All the signs that are stated in Revelations have been happening for yrs.

Yea my faith has been shaken and it makes me wonder about a lot of things. I would imagine that this will make my faith much stronger in the end, but that isn't where I am right now.

Seriously this is what I thought as I read:

OH SWEET JESUS DOES THIS WOMAN EVER NOT TAKE EVERYTHING I POST PERSONALLY!!!!!!

IT WAS NOT FOR YOU HEATHBAR!!!!!!!!! IF I MEAN IT FOR YOU I WILL SAY Heathbar, first from now on o.k!!!

Sorry but you so exasperate me!

It was what was fresh in my mind after this Sundays sermon and I posted it as I felt led to, it was not intended for you Heathbar, although I built on your comment b/c it was so close to what my pastor said this morning that at times when faced with a faith testing it is good to just get back to the basics of God's Word and review the miracle of His salvation. If there were no hell and if everyone just went to heaven anyway we wouldn't need salvation and Jesus would not have had to come, suffer all He did for us and ultimately die for us in order to be the way we can come to the father (who is in Heaven).

Edited by DiamondRing
typo/added on

If there is no hell how would this passage make sense and why would Jesus have said it?

Luke 16:23-25 (New International Version)

23In hell,[a] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

Seriously this is what I thought as I read:

OH SWEET JESUS DOES THIS WOMAN EVER NOT TAKE EVERYTHING I POST PERSONALLY!!!!!!

IT WAS NOT FOR YOU HEATHBAR!!!!!!!!! IF I MEAN IT FOR YOU I WILL SAY Heathbar, first from now on o.k!!!

Sorry but you so exasperate me!

Please don't shout at me, it hurts my ears

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT...

You can pray right now and ask God to come into your heart and receive the new birth. Simply talk to Him as you would talk to another person. You might pray a prayer similar to this:

God, I come to you in the name of Jesus,

I do not know you personally,

but I want to know you.

I believe that Your Word, the Bible is true.

I repent for hardening my heart toward you,

and delighting myself in things you hate.

I don't want to go to hell;

I really want to be free of my sin.

Dear God, I ask Jesus to come into my heart

and cleanse me of the guilt of my sins

and give me the power to overcome those sins.

I want to be Your child and learn of Your ways.

Keep me from evil and save my soul.

I am asking to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord

so that I can experience God's love and plan for my life.

Amen

If you said that prayer and meant it from your heart, you are now a child of God.

If you received the Lord into your heart, welcome to the family of God!

you wrote this after my post and started it with you, anyone would think it was meant for them.

What if the hell is what we experience on earth. The things we have endured growing up and during our lives.

Edited by heathbar

Heathbar,

I actually copied that entire prayer from Bible.com including those last 2 sentences. Originally I had wrote that at the top but I had to cut the words to allow me to post it b/c it contained too many words.

It is interesting and I believe from God , that this is exactly what The Lord brought to my mind not more than 10 minutes ago, a memory of how my Grandma once used to always say, "Well I believe hell is here on Earth". I can guarantee to you that is not true although there are trials and tribulations and the Blessing of God comes with

persecutions. The trials and tribulations come onto the world b/c it is fallen from Grace and under God's curse and it's god is satan. Our Deliver from this mess is Jesus Christ and when we are crucified with Christ , it is Christ living in us and we have overcome the world b/c He has overcome the world and we live in Him. That curse of God on the world no longer applies to us who are in Christ. A Christian (no personal intention towards you Heathbar, I am meaning ANY person)can be deceived by satan into believing it does though through a lack of knowledge, knowledge not about theologies and religious doctrines, but about WHO God is and an understanding of God's nature, God's will and just really coming into such a deep personal relationship with Jesus that you know Him better than anyone else and you know what He would and would not do.

It is still a challenge to overcome adversity and we will all have it as satan tries hard to deceive anyone he can, even the elect(saved) of God. Because satan is a robber he seeks to rob the children of god from their rightful Blessing and he seeks to kill the children of god and to destroy them to keep them from multiplying. As Christians we have 3 enemies (this I first learned in a Beth Moore study, but have since heard it taught by others)

1) satan ( I just refuse to give him any glory and capitalize his name)

2)the world (who we can share God's love with and are commanded to love, but they are our enemy until they choose to come out from satan's kingdom of darkness and come over into the God's Kingdom of Light)

3)Our Flesh (our own sinful desires)

As long as we are on this Earth we have a choice between life and death, but after we breathe our last breath upon the Earth and our physical heart beats for the last time, the choice is over. You go to heaven to be in presence of The Lord

2 Corinthians 5:8

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

In Heaven with Jesus we will praise and adore and give Him worship while awaiting the time of Christ's final return to the Earth and the time of His reign upon the Earth and the New Jerusalem, New earth, New Heaven or you suffer torment in hell, a place of constant fear, forever separated from God, awaiting God's judgment and the coming final second death.

Revelation 21

Everything New

1I saw Heaven and earth new-created. Gone the first Heaven, gone the first earth, gone the sea. 2I saw Holy Jerusalem, new-created, descending resplendent out of Heaven, as ready for God as a bride for her husband. 3 -5I heard a voice thunder from the Throne: "Look! Look! God has moved into the neighborhood, making his home with men and women! They're his people, he's their God. He'll wipe every tear from their eyes. Death is gone for good—tears gone, crying gone, pain gone—all the first order of things gone." The Enthroned continued, "Look! I'm making everything new. Write it all down—each word dependable and accurate."

6 -8Then he said, "It's happened. I'm A to Z. I'm the Beginning, I'm the Conclusion. From Water-of-Life Well I give freely to the thirsty. Conquerors inherit all this. I'll be God to them, they'll be sons and daughters to me. But for the rest—the feckless and faithless, degenerates and murderers, sex peddlers and sorcerers, idolaters and all liars—for them it's Lake Fire and Brimstone. Second death!"

Revelation 20:12

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Revelation 20:13

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Now if I am wrong on this, I am open to the Holy Spirit's correction and leading in the truth of these Scriptures.

I know Catholics believe in a place called purgatory, that is one difference out of many between Catholics and Protestants and somethings you just have to investigate for yourself. I have found through research and study that purgatory has it's roots in the paganism beliefs. Now I know Catholics have a different Bible, but all I can say is that I have a hard time trusting the Catholic doctrines b/c of the intense persecutions on Martin Luther and those who followed him when he translated the Holy Scriptures into German so that everyone could know the truth of God's salvation plan and His love for us. I do not have anything against Catholics, 1/2 of my family is Catholic (my In-laws) and they are truly some of the sweetest, most kind people I have ever known.

Just saying as far as the actual doctrine is concerned, there are things like the belief in purgatory, that Catholics and Protestants disagree on and we can discuss it but I don't want to argue about it.

I must leave tonight for my trip, i have to attend to the last minute details. I have no internet at home since I will be staying with my Grandma (who incidentally has changed that belief about hell being on Earth), I don't know how really, I didn't say anything about it, she listens to Charles Stanley though on Sunday mornings, so probably through his teachings. Take care, Heathbar-have a good fourth of July.

Edited by DiamondRing

I don't believe in purgatory, nor do I believe in praying to saints. As far as the catholics having a different bible that is not the case the scriptures are the same. Tha catholic bible has extra books in it that were proven to be ommitted. They are old testament books and basically historical. But the verses are the same as the ones in any other bible. The extra books are in the Old Teastament, the New Testament books are the same.

I believe in hell on earth because I have lived it. The things I endured as a child are far from trials and tribulations. That doesn't mean I have an automatic pass in Heaven. But hell on earth does exist.

I have always viewed heaven as a quiet place to be who we were meant to be, before people on earth stole our souls and circumstances changed who we became. A place were no evil resides. I don't care about the golden gates or paved street.

Edited by heathbar

O.k Heathbar, my Stepdad (who believes in Jesus and has a Jesus is Lord plaque displayed prominently in his garage for all to see), loves the 50's era and he believes we create our own heaven and he will reside in the 50's for all eternity. I believe that only the Word of God is true not we choose heaven to be. My life since being born again has been so blessed by God I could say heaven is here on the Earth, and I have heard that people say that as well, but I do not believe that heaven or hell are places on the Earth, but the Earth is a place God created for us, his most beloved special people, his children who he put a measure of His very own DNA in. satan was very jealous of us and rebelled against God, and an all our war in heaven erupted and satan and all the angels who sided with him were thrown down from heaven and cannot be redeemed. This battle does belong to The Lord and it began in heaven, not on earth. Pick a side, choose life or death, it is your free will to choose a side, but do not be fooled by false teachers and vain imagination. You are not the only one who's been hurt, God will comfort you sustain you and heal you, if you let him and that hurt becomes nothing but a distant memory and a powerful testimony to God to others who are hurting.

There is an end to any suffering we experience here, there is no end to it in hell. Here we have hope in Jesus Christ, there in hell that hope is gone, the choice already made.

I have to go to Target and get luggage tags, I would be happy to discuss this all day but I really have business to attend to. Take Care.

Edited by DiamondRing
typos

The people I have spoken with in Churches who were raised Catholic have always said they had a differant Bible than we do and my in-laws always say, Yeah well my Bible is not the same as yours when discussing things like praying to Mary, purgatory, praying the rosary etc. so that is what I thought. I never read a Catholic Bible but I share some of their values such as not believing in using birth control and that when we suffer we are partaking in Christ's suffering. I forget what they called that but I felt like that when I gave birth naturally, like I was suffering pain with Christ on the cross. Not sure how to explain it, but it was very genuine experience I will always remember.

There's nothing in the catholic Bible that specifically states pray to Mary or saints. Or that purgatory is there. It is the way they interepert the scriptures. I'll have to get out my hubby's grandmothers catholic bible and look it up.

buy resveratrol

BIble Study: God promised to kill everything on earth.?

Genesis: " 6:5 He said: I will destroy man, whom I have created, from the face of the earth, from man even to beasts, from the creeping thing even to the fowls of the air, for it repenteth me that I have made them. "

"6:13. He said to Noe: The end of all flesh is come before me, the earth is filled with iniquity through them, and I will destroy them with the earth. "

"6:17. Behold, I will bring the waters of a great flood upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life under heaven. All things that are in the earth shall be consumed. "

Noah would be defined in this catagory. God didn't say most men or start over - but destroy ALL life on earth. And if you say that Noah was not on dry land but on an ark, woud that mean fisherman survived too?

What are you thoughts?

* 2 years ago

Additional Details

Okay, so people want better defined question:

God said that he would kill everyone but did not. What are you thoughts about that? (may this be: God was a liar, the bible is incorrect, my interpritation is incorrect, Noah wasn't a man but the Son of God ... ect).

2 years ago

sorry, one of the sons of God. Not THE son of God.

At the time of Noah the people of the world chose to live lives that were totally opposite of what God had planned.. He had warned the people for a long long time to repent and change their lives.. the only one that still listened to God was Noah. we are told that Noah heart was so pure that he actually was able to walk with God and have conversations with him..

interesting, some Bible scholars say that the stories in the Old Testament are stories that are to be used as a way to live our lives. But they didn't necessarily happen and they are more like parables.

Well those "so called" scholars are wrong. The Holy Bible is real.

I agree with you, I watched this show on TV about how the stories in the Old Testament were put in place by God to teach us lessons. Some of the stories in the Old Testament are far fetched if you look at them logically...Like Jonah and the whale. But who said God was Logical, I guess that is where faith comes in. I'm not sure it really matters if they happened or not as long as we get the meaning behind it.

Wow, good question. You know, I'm not sure on this one but I always find lots of good ideas on such things when I'm perusing through my local Christian bookstore. Maybe give that a run

Since my last post on this thread I have been reading the Catholic Bible and I have found I love it. Just wanted to update the facts!

I'm really looking forward to Heaven! How wonderful and beautiful! A life without tears!

This is true, but when He died for us the veil was ripped in two b/c of it's meaning, because of Christ's work on the cross, now God can come to us, He can come and reside in us, Now! He is our Every desire, He is our heart's desire and e freely gives to all who ask in His Name anything they desire in their heart as long as you seek His Kingdom and His righteousness first- that is as long as you walk in obedience, fully yielded to The Holy Spirit of God your life will reflect His Glory on this Earth now! We do not need to wait to have everything we ever wish for, He gives us freely now everything we could ever wish for. Now at times what we desire is not good for us-this is the desires of the flesh-not of the heart, and those are the desires we gain by ways of the flesh, sinful desires, if we leave the path of righteousness to follow this path, this is what it means to return to darkness, but when we fully surrender to God, we do not seek that way, we follow His Way and stay in Him (stay in the Light)! The just shall live by Faith!ccvbghbbhvhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that was my son's contribution there!

Heaven is pretty important to God. Why because He Talk about it 551 time in the Bible. Heaven is mention from Genesis to Revelation.

This is interesting, let examine this very place.

What Is Heaven Like?

The first “heaven” is the air, or atmosphere, immediately above the earth. It is the heaven, for example, in which the birds fly (Genesis 1:20). The second “heaven” is the celestial realm in which the sun, moon, and stars are found (Genesis 1:14). The third use of “heaven” applies to the abode of God (Isaiah 63:15), far above the atmosphere or celestial heavens. When you and I speak of “heaven,” we mean the eternal bliss which all true Christians will enjoy. I am referring to that state of everlasting blessing which is described in the last two chapters of the book of Revelation.

(1) We do not go to heaven so much as it comes to us.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband (Revelation 21:2).

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, on account of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3:10-13, cf. Revelation 21:1).

(2) Heaven should be thought of more in terms of a person than a place.

Our first inclination is to think of heaven primarily as a place, and, of course, this is true. Nevertheless, I believe that there is more to it than this. Heaven, most of all, is being in the presence of God.

… we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8).

But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake (Philippians 1:23-24).

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord (1 Thessalonians 4:17).

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He shall dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be among them, … (Revelation 21:3).

(3) Heaven is a God-like place.

I have been impressed with the number of descriptions of heaven which are also descriptions of God. Let me briefly survey some of these descriptions.

Glory: (Isaiah 6:3and John 17:24

Holiness: For thus says the high and exalted one Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, (Isaiah 57:15, 6:3 above). (Revelation 21:27).

Beauty: Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God has shone forth (Psalm 50:2; 8:1). Your eyes will see the King in His beauty.

Immortality: Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen (1 Timothy 1:17, cf. Isaiah 9:6-7; Micah 5:2; John 8:58).

Light: Arise, shine; for your light has come, And the glory of the Lord has risen upon you …(Isaiah 60:1,19) And (John 8:12) and (Revelation 21:23).

Perfection: As for God, His way is blameless, The word of the Lord is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him (Psalm 18:30, cf. Deuteronomy 32:4; 2 Samuel 22:31). (1 Corinthians 13:9-10, 12). (1 John 3:2).

Love: The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love (1 John 4:8). (1 Corinthians 13:8, 13).

Joy: “The Lord your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy” (Zephaniah 3:17, Isaiah 62:4-5; 65:17-19).

And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude and as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty peals of thunder, saying, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready” (Revelation 19:6-7).

(4) Heaven is a unique combination of some things very old and others entirely new.

I am reminded of the wedding tradition of having “something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.” Heaven is unique in that some things are new, while others are old. This newness is suggested by the many things which will not be in heaven. There will be no time, no sin (Revelation 21:27), suffering or sorrow (21:4), no curse (22:2), no sun, moon, or sea (21:1, 23).

Not everything, however, will be unfamiliar to us. Certainly we will recognize friends and loved ones, as well as the saints of old, of whom we have read and heard for years—men like Abraham, Moses and David.

(5) Heaven will be the place where we will be reunited with loved ones in the Lord, from whom we were separated by death.

Those who have died in Christ are merely asleep, and they will not be victims of the “second death” ( Revelation 20:6).

(6) While heaven is a place of rest, it is not an existence characterized by inactivity.

I think most of us tend to compare heaven to retirement. Heaven is not a hammock, strung up between two clouds. Part of the blessedness of the garden into which Adam and Eve were placed was that they had a work to occupy them ( Genesis 1:26, 28; 2:5). In heaven we will be profitably occupied as well: And there shall no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His bond-servants shall serve Him; (Revelation 22:3), 1 Corinthians 13:12 , (Matthew 24:35), (John 4:23), (2 Timothy 2:12),(Daniel 7:27), (Luke 19:16-17).

This “reigning” entails ruling over the nations:

“And he who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, To him I will give authority over the nations;”(Revelation 2:26; cf. 5:10; 20:6; 22:5), and (1 Corinthians 6:2-3).

Heaven is the continuation of those things which Christians should be actively engaged in now: learning, worship and service.

REF: by Bob Deffinbaugh

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2 (NIV)

Jesus told us to seek the kingdom of heaven first and foremost, Matthew 6:33 (New International Version)

33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

The Bible tells us that heaven is where God The Father and Jesus are.The Holy Spirit is with us on the Earth and lives in us who have received Him. A taste for Heaven is God-placed in our hearts,

Ecclesiastes 3:11 (New International Version)

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

E.M. Bounds writes, "The power of the Spirit binds us to heaven because Jesus is there. We are bound to love it, think about it, and desire it, for Jesus is its center and glory."

So thinking about, longing for, and planning for this glorious point and place in eternity where we'll be united with our Savior is a way to worship Christ. It is a means of seeing and savoring Him. It fills us with hope. Hope, the Bible reveals, is the seed-starter of faith.Hebrews 11:1 (New International Version)

1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Hope can shore us up in the face of much heartache and trouble on earth. It can make us eternal optimists. C.S. Lewis writes, "In the truest sense, Christian pilgrims have the best of both worlds. We have joy whenever this world reminds us of the next, and we take solace whenever it doesn't."

"Strongly, insistently, the Holy Spirit uses heaven and its untold, manifold good to move saints to action, awaken them from death, and to increase their zeal and love," E.M Bounds explains. Heaven, then, is a stimulant for us on earth - a stimulant towards action, love, and zeal for Christ. Not a distraction.

I'd heard friends, loved ones and church leaders all warn of becoming too heavenly minded. A focus on heaven can sabotage my walk with God? Really?

That's not what I'm seeing in the Bible, nor is it what I'm experiencing.

When the reality of eternity and heaven comes crashing through my heart and thoughts, it pulls my focus up. Way up. Much needed perspective is gained and I'm able to redirect my thoughts and actions towards Christ-like living. I begin living now, again, for this future place and goal.

I'm guessing the "too heavenly minded" saying originated to describe someone who - like the Pharisees - spent their lives becoming self-righteous through their spiritual actions. Or, perhaps someone who spent so much time in the pew that they neglected their family, friends, or serving their community. I suspect these people were hearers but not doers of the Word.

I'd also guess these people probably didn't think much about heaven at all. Because to gain a true grasp of heaven is to have your eyes spiritually opened. It is to understand where this all is heading, and what you are truly made for.

It is to think and live higher.

Please join me in this prayer:

Dear Lord, give me a vision and passion for heaven. May I live for that kingdom - for its King and by its rules. And help me to be of earthly good as I pass through this place, preparing for the next. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Adapted from a devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministries

Edited by DiamondRing

On 7/24/2003 at 7:07 PM, christianmom said:

Bible Study - Life in Heaven

What do you think life in Heaven will be like?

Read the scriptures below to see what the Bible has to say. Post your comments and let's talk about what you think it will be like.

-ChristianMom

A Life of Fellowship with God

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face (I Cor. 13:12)

Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go there to prepare a place for you. I will come again, and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:1-3).

Notes: We can look forward to eternal life because Jesus has promised it to all who believe in him.

A Life of Rest

Then I heard a voice from Heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor; for their deeds will follow them." (Rev. 14:13)

Notes: While it is true that money, fame and belongings can't be taken with us from this life, God's people can produce "fruit" that survives even death. God will remember our love, kindness, and faithfulness, and those who accept Christ through our witness will join us in the new earth. Be sure that your values are in line with God's values, and decide today to produce "fruit" that lasts forever.

A Life of Full Knowledge

...Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

(I Cor. 13:12)

Notes: Paul offers a glimpse into the future to give us hope that one day we will be complete when we see God face to face. This truth should strengthen our faith - we don't have all the answers now, but one day we will. Someday we will see Christ in person and be able to see with God's perspective.

A Life of Holiness

Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Rev. 21:27)

Notes: Don't think that you will "get into heaven" because of your background, personality or good behavior. Eternal life is available to us only because of what Jesus did for us...dying on the cross for our sins, offering us the free gift of salvation.

A Life of Joy

And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes. There will be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, or pain, for the former things are passed away (Rev. 21:4)

Notes: No matter what you are going through, it's not the last word - God has written the final chapter, and it is about true fulfillment and eternal joy for those who love him. We do not know as much as we would like, but it is enough to know that eternity with God will be more wonderful than we could ever imagine.

A Life of Service

No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. (Rev. 22:3)

Notes: This means that nothing accursed will be in God's presence. This fulfills Zechariah's prophecy (see Zechariah 14:11).

A Life of Abundance

...To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. (Rev.21:6)

Notes: The water of life is a symbol of eternal life. Jesus used this same image with the Samaritan woman (John 4:7-14). It pictures the fullness of life with God and the eternal blessings that come when we believe in Him and allow Him to satisfy our spiritual thirst.

A Life of Glory

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (II Cor. 4:17)

When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Col. 3:4)

Notes: Christ gives us the power to live for him now, and he gives us hope for the future - he will return. In the rest of this chapter Paul explains how Christians should act now in order to be prepared for Christ's return.

A Life of Worship

After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. (Rev. 7:9,10)

Notes: This multitude in heaven is composed of all those who remained faithful to God throughout the generations. No true believer ever need worry about which group he or she will be in. God includes and protects each of us, and we are guaranteed a place in his presence.

•  

A Life of Holiness and worship