Back to School  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Back to School

• Public School
    • Catholic School
    • Christian School
    • Home School
    • Other

I've voted 'other' on this as our school system in Scotland is probably different .

[ A public school here would be fee paying on the whole ]

My Children attend the local Primary School [state run Totaly FREE education we pay for nothing - not books or jotters only pencils etc]

Why - it's the closest, basically

Other reasons for using the state system are : lack of alternatives , finances etc.

Apart from the fact that, we both feel that although we should shelter our children from the influences of the world , they also have to live in the world so the earlier they learn the better equiped they will be. Plus as Believers we need to show a testimony in our local area , and where better can you meet your neighbours than at the school - one interest in common straight away.

Just my tuppence worth.

Wonka2

Public Schools here are free, we pay for them with our property tax dollars. But we are inundated with a secular agenda that tells us God is not real, we evolved from slime and any type of lifestyle is okay (except Bible believing Christian).

Our education system here in the state is failing. It is no secret. It is a real shame. It is NOT the teachers, many of them are followers of Jesus and love kids. But their hands are tied by the powers that be.

My 3 kiddos go to Public school but here despite the recent news reports about the judges Jesus is alive and doing well. We still pray before pto meetings and during school. Alabama maybe thought of as backwards but I like that way.:)

My child attends a Christian School, I am so thankful to God, because our public schools are awful here where I live.

My children go to public school , we live in a small town and so far they have had great teachers, my oldest, my daughter is in fourth grade and she has the same teacher her dad and I had. So we are lucky in that we know so many of the teachers.

There closest christian school is 45 minutes away and very expensive.

Catholic School....

Hi,

My children attend the catholic school in town. I really enjoy the respect for God and for each other that they learn as the religion is taught in class. Also the class size is quite a bit smaller.

Smiles, Dawn :)

Hi im Jenny and im new here

my kids are still really little, my oldest just tunred 5 but we will start homeschooling him this fall and plan to do the same for all of our kids, we live in a small town and the public schools here are horrilbe and i dont want my kids in that environmet

Luv always

Jenny

wife to Scott

mommy to Sammy, Collin, Audrey and Isabel

I totally agree with Wonka2. "Public School" (US, not UK version) has been our choice too. Even when we were living in the UK we went for the general State/County/Public education system.

We are called to live IN this world, just as much as we are called to live "NOT OF" it.

Finances... certainly... but there is also the aspect of raising up our children to not have their eyes shut to what is going on around them. I don't want my girls to be blind-sided by a world they are not expecting later on in life.

We equip our children to be ministers and missionaries to their peers-- to be the voice of Christ amidst the world.

Lucky for us-- we live in the "Bible Belt" now. It wasn't that way in England... And yet the girls grew so much in their faith in being a Christian example to their friends when they weren't the "norm". It gave them courage, and greater faith.

Now I won't say that there might not ever be a time to pull them from "the system", (which I would surely do if they were to succumb to the worldly pressures).. but for now, at least, it is building real moral character in them. They know where they stand on moral issues, and they are the voice of reason to their friends.

I suppose it all depends on the children, the parents, and how well equipped all are to deal with living in, but not of, this world. No answer is right for everyone.

All Schools need to walk the talk

My Daughter goes to Christian school. My god daughter goes to Christian school as well.

We selected for my god daughter to go to Christian school because her mom was not going to church and as a god mother I am responsible for her Christian up bringing. So her mother and I selected one of the best Christian schools in this area, that our money could afford and we are reaping the benefits. She is an honor student and has been from the time she has been there. She is in drama club, and the choir. God has blessed us with her.

My Daughter is in Christian school, because the publid schools are over crowded. There 1300 kids in elementary school. Currently my daughter is in a school with 350 kids form 1st grade to 8th grade. There are 19 kids in her class. My daughter is a honor student, but her school only honor you, if you have all 4.0 "A", this is one of the things I didn't like along with other things. This school is always telling us how good they are, I am a show me person. I want to change her school, but we just started the third grade and she has a wonderful teacher this year. This is her second year at this school. The school really has a lot to offer, beside from academics, Bible, (2)computer labs, swimming pool, drama, Spanish club, science club, library, tennis club, tutoring, praise dance, cheerleaders, and much more. The schools I have to select from, this was one is the best and it was like my god daughter's school. My god daughter's school is very strick.

I really am looking for a magna public school to put her in. We go to church and we learn the word of God. That one I really don't have to worry about.

I judge a school on their ability to help the weak kids, slow to learn kids. Then you are proven. I have asked many schools do they have the ability to help the weak. So if a kid is fallilng behind, they will just let the parent know. They do nothing. It is easy for a school to look good if they have 70-80 % of the kids doing well and with parents who are working with them. What about the single mom's who are over loaded. There are a large percentage of single mom's out there, who need help with their kid (s). Some of them are willing to pay for help. I want to know what can you do to help the kids that are not doing well? I find that the public schools are required and we have parent rights for them to help our child (ren) be successful. Public school also has degreed teachers and money. Most times you don't get degreed teachers and you are required to do fundraisers in private.

So right now I am having mixed feeling about christians school. The other school she was in, the parents suspected that they took money from the school to run the church. Her Dad wants to put her in public school. I told him that I would entertain that thought after 3rd grade.

We talked about all my nieces who are in public schools and they are top in their class. They are above the national percentile on the SAT. So we are really going to be looking into schools that walk the talk.

abc

School Choice in Calgary

My son was in a private Christian school but we could not afford the tuition this year since I am off after the birth of my daughter ten months ago. There are no public schools nearby as we live in a very new area of Calgary.

I opted to home school my son for now until we are better able to afford the $4000+ annual tuition fees at the Christian Academy.

My daughters are in Christian Schools.... The tuition is $10,000+ per child a school year and it goes up every year. I really can't afford it any longer (2 kids). So, this year in September we will be sending our daughters to Catholic School. It is very important to my husband and I that their school teach about God.

My children do not go to school yet.(next year) My little girl will start at a public school. That is the only school we have here where we live. It is a good school though. Everyone knows everyone(parents, students, teachers, staff) We live on a 7 mile island(probably not that big since Katrina). We do not have violence and even though it is against the rules some teachers will bring up God when the time is appropriate. Like the other day they had a prayer and time of silence for the kids who got shot at that school. None of the parents seemed to mind. They do not teach evolution and that stuff cause the science teacher there is the wife of a minister and she refuses to teach it. She says her students are free to read the chapter if they please but no test on it and no disscussions about it.

Mine go to a catholoic school because my husband is unsaved (he will be though, in the name of Jesus, I speak this over him.) and the kids were going there before I was saved. I like the fact that they are learning about God. I work for the public system and I am disappointed that the Our Father has been taken out of the school. Other then the curriculum, nothing is taught about the Lord our God and I feel that is a serious disadvantage to these children. I, as a teacher, have to watch that I don't bring up anything about my faith to the students I teach because of conflict with other religions like Muslim, Jewish, etc... However, we must respect their right to practice their faith at school - fasting, not standing for O'Canada, etc. , so why can't I talk about God in a public school? I do praise the teachers who choose to teach their class about the different cultures (that includes briefly the topic of religion). Anyway, whatever school board your children go to, the teaching should always start at home.

I tried homeschooling for a year, it just didn't work out for us and my kids had a hard time getting back into school. We can't afford a private school so they go to public, but I really do not like the way things in our schools are done around here. I am one of those mom's that the teachers hate to see come in the school, they know that I will say what is on my mind and make sure it is taken care of, I am a little pushy....