Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Pain management during delivery

Pain management during delivery  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Pain management during delivery

• I wanted to be medication free, went through medication free, and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted to be medication free but mid-way opted for an epidural and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted to be medication free but mid-way opted for an epidural and regreted that decision.
    • I wanted an epidural, got an epidural, and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted an epidural but missed my window of opportunity, thus going medication free but pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted an epidural but missed my window of opportunity, thus going medication free and regretting it.

I'm going to be giving birth for the first time in about a month. Based upon all my research to date, I am hoping to go through delivery without the aid of any medications for pain relief. However, I've never done this before and won't really know what to expect of my body's reaction until I'm in the heat of it and so I don't consider any decisions I make now to be final.

On a regular basis I get unsolicited opinions from both mothers and non that an epidural (numbing of the body throughout the pelvic area) is the way to go. From my research, I've been under the impression that more and more women are giving birth without the aid of epidurals, but I never seem to hear from any of these women (other than my mom... I know she gave birth to all four of us without). I can't help but wonder if the non-medicated moms are just quiet for the same reason that I choose not to debate the women I encounter that push the epidural angle.

I'm just wondering what some of your experiences have been. What did you plan for going in? What turned out to be the case? What were your thoughts or feelings?

My experience

Hi there!

I think you're so right to be cautious about deciding anything for sure at this point. But I think you're also very smart to do the research and be aware of your options so you can make an informed decision when the time comes.

Like you, while I was pregnant I wasn't too thrilled looking ahead to any of the different options for pain. I was willing to try to do it medication free and just see what would happen. I was really uncomfortable with the idea of an epideural so wanted to save that as a last resort.

I had a relatively easy and short labour - only a few hours. But the pain was a surprise of sorts. I've never had major injuries or surgery so I had no idea what this kind of pain was like. It was pretty intense. When I was five cm. I got two shots of Demerol (a fast acting one in my arm and a slow acting one in my hip). There was Gravol mixed with the Demerol so I actually felt really good after that.

I got really sleepy and very relaxed and within an hour I was at 10 cm. I could still feel the contractions and there was pain but it was totally manageable. I even slept in between contractions, during the pushing stage as well. Mentally I was a little fuzzy and my husband had to piece together the order of events for me later but I couldn't be happier! My daughter was totally healthy, no ill effects from the drugs. I would totally have Demerol again and was really glad I didn't have the epideural.

With that said, my best friend recently had a baby and when she called me from the hospital her first words were "an epideural is a girl's best friend!" She hadn't been planning on one but found it to be necessary.

I also know several women who have given birth with no medication whatsoever and were totally happy with the experience. Everyone is so different. There's no one right choice.

So, my best advice is to realize that it's a decision that you can't really make until you're in the thick of things. But whatever you decide, giving birth is an amazing experience!

All the best!

Christie

Incomplete Poll

There are lots of different pain relief options during labour , not just an epidural .

Personally I just used 'entinox ' [ gas and air , nitrogen oxide ?] for my first 3 deliveries . The last one required Diamorphine as I was in a lot of pain with a seperated pelvis.

There are also the options of hypnotherapy , acupuncture and water birth as well as the drugs or gas & air.

For the first 3 I was too late anyway for a spinal block [ one was just 65 mins after reaching hospital ] . I was strongly advised against an epidural for #4 as when the lower half is numbed you can actually do damage without feeling it . There are other side effects too , severe headaches and ongoing back pain .

Some people can and do go through the whole thing with absolutely nothing [ my sister being one of them ] , it all depends very much on your pain threshold , size and position of the baby .

I was shocked at the PAIN :eek: I liken it to 9 months of period pain and a very bad case of constipation all rolled into one .

But with a very much nicer outcome :D

Though it really couldn't have been that bad I did it 4 times ;)

Re: Incomplete Poll

I was shocked at the PAIN :eek: I liken it to 9 months of period pain and a very bad case of constipation all rolled into one .

You so nailed it!!!! Too funny!:D

:mad: my online service is giving me a hard time. my first reply was erased.

In short what it said was, it's good to be aware of all your options, but it's your own decision. Don't ever feel guilty, or like less of a woman because you opt for a medicated birth. The goal is to get the baby out, not too see how much pain you can tolerate. Some women have easy births. I hope you are one of them. I was not.

I was induced 2 weeks after my due date. I went in 3 cm labored for 18 hours and only got to 5 cm. It was a very painful intense labor. I had neubain about 8 hours into it, and then soon aftarward I had an epidural. Even then I could still feel this incredible pressure on my pelvis. I later found out that my large son was too big to drop into my small pelvis. I ended up with a c-section. Praise the LORD! He was 9lbs 5 oz. After seeing his little pumpkin head I was so glad for the section!!!! I have no regrets. I even sceduled my second as a c-section and I had a spinal. Both times I was nervous about having a needle put into my back, but when they went to do it, it was no big deal. It honestly wasn't even as bad as having my lower region prepped for the c- section with a 10 cent bick razor. OUCH! ( by the way both boys were very healthy and active despite my medications)

Good luck, trust your instincts, and know God will get you through any way you choose. Lauren

pain managment during delivery

Hi. I just read your message on pain managment during delivery. I don't know if it can be said that pain can be managed!

I am married for 7 years now and have 3 children. Ages 5, 4 and 20 months. All of my pregnancies were healthy and I delivered without any medications. When I say without any medications I mean NO medications at all. The only needle I had going in me was an i/v w/some clear fluid. I opted not to have any medications w/any births because I wanted my babies to have the best possible start in life. I know that the doctors will tell you that most of the drugs they give you won't affect the baby, but I wasn't fully convinced of that.

All of my babies were born at a military hospital in Hawaii and believe me, the doctors there do not push a natural birth. I was going against the grain. But, I had a prayer support team behind me on every pregnancy and my husband was very supportive to whatever kind of delivery I wanted. I read every piece of literature I could get my hands on dealing with medications, natural births, water births, everything. I was constantly at the library reading other women's experiences - just trying to gather up information.

I don't really think that anything I read or any documentary I saw prepared me for the pain. It is very intense, very strong and can overwhelm you if you lose sight of what you are giving birth to. A beautiful human being that God knit together inside of you. Try to focus on the outcome of the delivery, not the pain. I'm not saying that you should fool yourself into believing that there isn't going to be pain or that it won't be that bad, believe me, there will be massive amounts of pain, but how you tolerate it is how you tolerate and understand pain right now. God made women's bodies to naturally give birth. The best thing I did for myself was try to relax during a hard contraction and my husband had a picture of a baby at the delivery room so that I could remember that all this pain was for a purpose. A beautiful one.

God bless you and I will be praying for a healthy birth for you and baby!!!

Just a note

I do realize that I left all the other pain medication options out of the survey. I did this on purpose because, based on general comments from women both familiar and in passing, an epidural seems to be the trend... at least here in my corner of the world. With that, it is one of the more common options offered by doctors around here and, based upon my research, it is the option I would most likely go with were I to utilize a medication to deal with the pain of delivery.

There is not a doubt in my mind that labor is different for every woman and therefore, every woman is going to find need for or comfort in different approaches, but I was just starting to get a little overwhelmed with the constant, "You're going to get an epidrual, right?" I can't even count the number of times I've heard that. There has not been a single person who's said to me, "you're going to go med-free, right" or "you're going to use A, B, or C, right?" I was just looking to see if there was anyone out there that didn't think me silly and naive for wanting to avoid an epidrual if possible.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughts. It's so comforting to know that I have this site as a resource during this stage of life.

Laurie

Just doing a quick count up

Of the births in my family and close friends recently [ well dozen years ]

My sisters, cousins and close friends have had about 18 babies between us and there have been 4 epidurals and they were all for caesarean sections [ the sections were for medical reasons - pre-eclapsia , placenta previa and one very big baby !]

So it's not the normal really :)

Dont we just love out labour stories!!

I quite enjoyed giving birth to my 2 children - but yes I only have two!!

I managed without any pain relief at all. I wanted to do that if I could but thought I'd wait and see how things went. I was abut to ask for something with my second but the moment I got up on the bed I was ready to push so it was to late anyway. I had been induced (waters broken) and had about 45 mins or so of 'full on' labour with out a break. My first child arrived 7 hours after my first pain. So looking back I must have had it prety easy.

To all the soon to be mums out there - dont worry the result is well worth it!! I would say dont have hard and fast ideas about what you'll do or not do, at the end of the day all that matters is that you and the baby are well. And there are no prizes for doing it all yourself and there is no shame in using pain killers or the like.

Enjoy it!!

Elis

I have 2 boys. With my first delivery, I went in planning on not using any pain meds for relief. However, I dont' do pain very well. I ended up passing out from the pain. I was given morphine to help with the contractions. It's a long story, but I ended up with an emergency c-section. With my second son, I just had a scheduled c-section.

I'm a little late finding this, but I'd really like to poat anyway. I had both my children naturally- no medication. I really don't think that medication is good for a baby. With an epidural, the baby often comes out so groggy that their apgar score is low. Then, there are the mother's side effects- headache, backache, etc. Well, what goes into your body goes into the baby as well, so that poor little baby probably suffers, too. My dad is a chiropractor, and he said that he sees so many women with chronic backpain, and for most of them, it's epidural related. Anyway, enough of that. With my first birth, I was in labor 18 hours, 11 "hard-labor". I son forgot the pain, and was anxious to have another baby. That birth was 4 hours. Yeah, it was like 18 hours of pain squished into 4 hours. With my last pregnancy (it never progressed) I was so terrified of that pain again, so I ordered 3 books, two which I'll tell about.

The first is SUPERNATURAL CHILDBIRTH, by Jackie Mize. It tells about how 1 tim 2:15 says, "Notwithstanding, she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." This woman tells her story of how she stood in faith with God and had PAIN FREE deliveries three times. Even if you are not expecting, this book is a really good faith-builder.

The second is THE BIRTH BOOK, by Dr. Sears and Martha Sears. This book helps a woman understand her body and during labor, work with her body rather than against it to help labor progress with minimal pain.

Well, after losing a baby four months ago, my husband and I are ready to get pregnant again. So, I pulled out my pregnancy and birth books, and I am no longer afraid of having another drug-free birth! I am reading THE BIRTH BOOK now, and I am so confident and excited that I am going to have my next baby at home.

I hope someone will read these books, too.

Since I started this whole thing...

... I figured I'd give everyone the update on how things worked out.

First, to get to the bottom line for anyone who didn't read my "Prayers Please" post, my daughter, Gwendolyn, died shortly after birth. We're awaiting results of the autopsy for a medical explanation.

I went through almost seven hours of labor unmedicated. I ended up needing to be on an IV for fluids and on the baby monitor continually. In addition my daughter didn't seem to like it whenever I did anything other than lie on my right side. These factors caused me to not be able to follow my intended plan of using movement, shower, etc. to help with the pain. Unable to do anything other than lie there, I accepted the nurse's offer of something to take the edge off as we entered the sixth hour; I was around four centimeters. I don't recall the exact name of the drug (began with an "s"... something like stadol) but they never ended up giving it to me because the nurse decided that there was a good chance my doctor would want to do a cesarean. She was right and I began to be prepped for the cesarean within another half hour. In the operating room I was given a spinal block and felt no more physical discomfot for the remainder of my birthing experience.

Based upon my experience, I am planning that next time I will attempt a non-medicated delivery again. I have high hopes that I will be able to vent some of my pain by being more active. But like this last time, I'll just have to go with the moment.

Chiming in a little late

I know this thread "died" months ago, but since I'm new here and just read it, I wanted to give my thoughts on this topic as well.

First of all, naejeirual: I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know He has comforted you during this time and many have been praying for you.

The general opinion here, it seems, is that epiderals give women chronic backaches and severe headaches and goes into the baby as well. I would have to disagree with all of that.

The hospital I gave birth in requires all pregnant mothers to attend a class on epiderals and sign a paper saying you attended before they even think about giving anyone one. So, say an out of towner came in, in labor. She hadn't attended the class, so she would not be able to get an epideral. The reason? No one would be able to say they were not educated on any possible risks or side effects. Good idea, in my opinion.

This was my first pregnancy. I'm not good with pain, I know that. I knew ahead of time that the chances of me opting for an epideral were quite high, though I had every intention of going as long as I could without one. So I attended the class.

The severe headaches and the backaches are both rare side affects. The epideral medication does NOT go to your baby. Reason being, it is going into your spinal area, NOT your bloodstream. If it were to go into your bloodstream, then yeah, it would go to your baby too. But it does not.

My water broke at 11pm on November 29th, 2003. I took a shower and called my ride (we lived in their house at the time because we don't have a car....that night they were in another town 1/2 hour away) and waited for her to arrive. It was around 1am when I got to the hospital. They did the tests to make sure that my water had indeed broke and monitered me for an hour (which is standard at this hospital). That monitoring got cut short because they got the results back saying, indeed my water had broken. They checked me out, 2cm dialated. I had been like that for a month now, so that was no big deal. Now the waiting begun.

Around 6am, there was no change. I was in no pain. Felt the contractions, but they were very low-grade. Then they began giving me a labor-inducing drip (petosom...something like that...spelling is wrong, I'm sure). Every 15 minutes, they came in and turned that thing up. My nurse was determined for me to give birth by noon. I was fine with that.

The drip makes those contractions come on faster and harder than normal. (This came from my ride, who was in the room with me and my husband....she had 3 natural births and one with the drip and an epideral)

I was in some good pain. Like I said, I don't handle it well. I couldn't stay focused. My husband and best friend said I was rolling back and forth on the bed. All I knew was it was painful and they were coming quick. When the nurse came in to check and turn the drip up, she asked if I'd like something to take the edge of the pain. I couldn't speak, but nodded my head. She gave me something or another in my IV. It worked immediately....for a time. I would say I got an hour nap or so before I couldn't take that pain anymore and asked for the epideral.

In this hospital, you stay laying down the whole time. They don't exactly recommend getting up and around. Part of the reasoning is they keep you attached to the baby monitors the whole time...even through the birthing process.

So sitting up for the first time since the pains of labor had started was different. It added to the pain, for me anyways. My nurse was great though. She really helped me to stay still and just breathe. When the epideral was done and I told them that I could feel the contractions slightly, but no pain....the epideral dude left and the nurse examined me. I was now 8 cm....I had just about made it!!

Within the hour they were prepping me for birth. I was all ready to begin pushing and my doctor had yet arrived. We thought my nurses were going to have to deliver this baby. Just as I was about to push for the first time, my doctor came in.....making some wise joke about watching sports (it was just a joke, relax).

12:35pm on November 30th, 2003 my daughter was born. 7lbs 4oz at 20 1/4" long. Every test they did came back beautifully. She wasn't slow or even groggy.....she actually had her eyes open and checking everything out before she conked out (she's always been super duper observant).

Will I have an epideral in the future? Probably just because I don't handle pain terribly well....but, again, I will try to go as far as I can.

Anyway, speaking of my daughter.....she is a calling (screaming).....and I can smell that dirty diaper she just finished filling up from where I'm at, so I better get. Aaaaaah, the joys of motherhood. Wouldn't give it up for anything and am looking forward to expiriencing it however often the Lord desires for us to.

Blessings upon you all.

I realize this is an old thread but since I just read it it's new to me. I've given birth to 10 full term babies and have never had an epidural. I just figured that if babies have been born throughout the ages then we must be able to this without medical intervention. I would have had them all at home but hubby was not willing. I was ussually able to push the baby out in two to three pushes. My babies weighed between 9lbs 2oz and twins were 7lbs 6oz & 5lbs 4oz. The size did not seem to have much to do with the labor for me. I also gave birth to Nathan who was stillborn but he was still beautiful and he weighed 7lbs 9oz. LOL Dottie

I had pain meds with both of my kids...my oldest was a 34 hour labor, and I was completely exhausted :( I had an epidural and THREE boosters with that one. I don't regret it in the least...my daughter is very healthy, and I was far better able to focus on the task at hand instead of being completely freaked out by pain :) My youngest was a c-section boy, as he was well over 10 pounds at birth. Again, I am so glad to have taken that route, rather than trying to deliver him naturally! Maybe I'm a weenie, but I really wanted to be able to enjoy the birth process, and for me that meant finding a way to do it with less pain.

I will say that a dear friend of mine delivered six of her children at home, completely unmedicated, with a midwife. I am so proud of her! She has seven kids, she's a great mother and wife, and her children are fantastic. It was the right choice for her!

There are many options out there...do your homework and find the one that you feel the Lord leads you to :)

i had two emergency c-sections so i really did not have a choice at all. but i have to say that i was not dissappointed as both of my kids were in alot of danger and so was i so, the decision was very easy for me. so i was pleased that we were all ok and i thank god everyday that we are

I'm just going to throw my 2-cents in to this thread although I think the poll is old :)

For my first pregnancy I wanted to go medication free because I was fearful of any possible consequences of the drugs affecting my child. One thing my doctor neglected to inform me on was that my uterus was tipped back. Unfortunately having a child in that situation increases the back labor and causes his/her head to be somewhat jammed into my tail bone for a lot longer than a normal delivery would probably be and quite painful as well. I recall waking up just as my husband left for work at 4:30am feeling some sort of pain..I honestly wasn't sure if it was contractions or some type of bowel issues...but decided to get the stopwatch just the same. I realized they were already 5 minutes apart and they were getting stronger. I phoned my husbands boss and he returned home. I did all I could to do that delivery naturaly...but I seriously thought I was going to die. Her head got jammed pretty bad and they had to try to use the vacuum extractor to loosen her head. And also with it being my first, I was not really good at the pushing and felt as if I was squishing her more than pushing her. Unfortunately the vacuum kept falling off and every time they replaced it I was cut open inside. Once she was finally born (thank GOD) they weighed her and she was 9 pounds 2 ounces....very large first baby, and a girl. Also her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice and the DR said that thankfully it was unusually long because it didn't strangle her being born. I was sad with the very large scabby on her head from the vacuum extractor and she had a dark blue vein around her eye. It is still visible if you look close, but most people don't notice it. The trauma of that medication free delivery scared me towards having more children...but I was certain that God would help me if we were to have more. I had to have stitches for half an hour, internally from the vacuum extractor...and had to recover in the hospital for 4 days. *not typical for a vaginal birth* But she was the most beautiful baby!

My second child was also entirely different from the first experience. She was overdue and I was worried about her being as large as the first one. I came in for an induction, but the DR decided to get coffee first while I got ready in the room. While he was gone my labor started. (thank God or the pitocin would have nearly killed me) The contractions started about 3 minutes apart and just started overlapping after that....the nurse kept watching my chart and I was just dying in pain. I knew that I would have to get some type of medicine this time because I would never make it to the pushing stage when I was getting no break from my contractions. They told me they would give me a "partial epidural" ((my friend who's husband is a DR said she has never heard of that term, but that is what the nurses said to me when I was having my second child.)) It helped take the edge off, however due to the fact that I get motion sickness....it caused me to be extremly disorientated, nauseaus, and voiding my stomach at every muscle movement in my body. The whole event became surreal and very uncomfortable. When it came time to push I didn't wait for the contractions and just started pushing and pushing and pushing because I didn't want the pain medicine to wear off and I just wanted it to all be done. Unfortunately I fear I may have damaged my tail bone in the process. She ended up being 8 pounds 10 ounces. Not as large as her sister in weight, although she looked bigger. My recovery was only 2 days in the hospital, but I couldn't get out of bed for a couple weeks because of the severe pain in my lower back. I was near ready to go to the DR to see if it was serious, praying that God would help me with this tremendous pain...when the next day I woke up to call the pain was gone. :) *please keep my second child's health in your prayers, she has a condition called *Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency.*

I am about to face my third delivery in 3 months -give or take God's timing in the matter-, I am uncertain if I should go drug free....use an epidural....or ask about my options. So far I am not freaking out, but I know when it gets close to baby day...I am going to have a hard time not getting cought up in the mental stuggle of memories of delivery and pain and such. (prayers would be great on that one :))

Thanks to all those that took the time to read my novel, I mean post. LOL :)

OTHER...I wanted to go medication free but ended up with a c-section. GLAD I had medication for that!!! :D

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to throw in my experience for anyone who might be debating options for an upcoming birth. When I went in to deliver my daughter a little over 5 months ago, I was adament about having a med-free delivery. I'm just one of those stubborn people who don't even take Tylenol for a headache unless I'm dying. I didn't go through birthing classes, didn't really do my research on epidurals: I was convinced that if other women can do it med-free, I should be able to as well. I've got a really high pain tolerance level and am good with finding other ways to deal with the pain. I was also insistent about not being induced. Things didn't go exactly as I had expected. :) My amniotic fluid was low and I was overdue, so my doctor said I needed to be induced. I ended up with an insane amount of Pitocin and a 36 hour labor. Because they wanted to keep monitors on me the whole time, walking around (my usual method of dealing with intense pain) wasn't an option. I ended up asking for something to take the edge off. I had a bad reaction from the med they gave me: it didn't dull any of the pain and made me go out of my mind enough to not be able to mentally brace myself for the contractions. I was so out of my mind from the med that my poor husband had to make the scary decision on his own for them to give me an epidural.

I'm saying all of this to say....research all your options ahead of time. Because I was so stubborn about having a med-free delivery, I didn't have a clue about my options when things went 180 degrees from what I thought they'd be. Don't assume anything about your delivery, and don't feel like you've failed if you need meds.

For whatever it's worth, my epidural was a blessing. It allowed me enough of a breather to be able to get through the remainder of my labor. I didn't have any side effects. I still want to try to go med-free with my next labor and delivery, but I'll do better research this time! It was a reminder that life doesn't always go as planned! :)

Hi I'm new here. I have had two kids so far and I have decided that an epidural wouldn't have been necessary in my situation. My midwife tried to tell me second time around that I would need an epidural but I did it without. I did have Pethidine though. And I used the gas mask the second time round. But I think we all handle pain differently. I've only heard bad things about epidurals so I never wanted one ... and I am terrified of having a needle stuck in my spine! There wasn't really an option for me on the poll so I went with the second one.

I think the only time I'll ever have an epidural is if they have to do a C Section.

In the end I think every mother has the right to decide what she wants since she is the one delivering the baby! :D

I had my babies all natural no Pain Meds. I was happy to have them all natural too because that made it easier for me to get up and tend to them right away. My oldest never went to a nursery and I took care of her. My second was in a NICU and I walked to the nursery and took care of her right after her birth. I felt better being able to get up and walk around and take care of my baby. I also breastfed my babies so this helped them latch on. My Second Daughter was premature and she latched on when they thought she wouldn't be able too. I feel it helped to not have drugs in hers system. I only had one epidural and that was with my First Child he died at birth. I hated the fact I could not get up and walk it freaked me out. When I came home I dropped to my knees and had trouble walking. I did this for a few months after every once in a while. I think its because it also messed my back up. I still have pain in that same spot now days when the weather is cold. I swore I would never have another one done. Next two kids I had where all natural and they did real good and so did I.

I had 4 med free, and 2 with epidurals

JoyJoy mentioned something that I would like other moms to know...I too have had issues with my legs and nerves since having an epidural.

I did take birthing classes and studied my options. I wanted to go med free. Here is how my 6 labors have went (mine are not typical, but everybody is truly different).

(1) 14 hours of induced labor, broken water and pictocin...no pain meds.

(2) 42 hours of labor, no pain meds, no IV at hospital. I did not rest and was becoming delirious by the time he was born...I could not remember how to count to 10 when I was pushing. LOL!

(3) 3 days of intense labor, finally gave in and let them put me on pictocin and break my water. No pain meds.

(4) Almost a week of labor, finally gave in let them put me on pictocin...my water broke on its own. No pain meds. However, I did push him out on first push which is too hard and fast. He did not expel the liquid from his lungs and could not breathe well, ended up in NICU. I blew out my bladder from pushing so hard and could not hold my bladder for a couple of days after. I also ended up with a rectocele (a hernia between the wall of my birth canal and rectum). This all might have been avoided if the pain and pressure had not been so intense and I could have controlled my pushing a little bit. Pictocin in my experience makes me push out babies ultra fast.

(5) 8 hour labor. My first planned epidural, because I was to have my tubes tied following birth. My doctor was on vacation and they refused to do it (God still had another baby to come). The epidural was heavenly. It all went smoothly. However, this is my son with autism today (and it was not from vaccinations...he did not have any until AFTER I knew he had autism).

(6) Induced labor, about 6 hours. My second epidural...this time I had my tubes tied. When they gave me the epidural, it was very painful, not like the first time I had one. It also hit my nerves and sent a shock through me. They left it in overnight to do the tubal the next morning after labor. It worked fine for surgery, but the surgery had issues too. My tubes had already returned to a low position and they had to tilt the table so my head was low trying to make my tubes fall back up towards my belly button level. My recovery from the tubal was intense and took about 2 weeks. The 1st week I had severe pain and a lot of air trapped in my chest area. The 2nd week my tubal scar where they also repaired a small hernia, ripped out some. Also, I always had an abundance of breast milk with all of my other children, but with this last child I barely made any milk, no matter what I tried. I have read other moms swear that epidurals and meds can decrease milk output. I don't know, but I do know that I had two rounds in a row of the epidural the last time and I ended up taking some pain meds a few days after the surgery when tylenol would not give me any relief and I had not rested.

After the birth I have had times when I have shooting pains go down my legs and I cry out in pain it takes me by surprise and hurts really bad. I almost fall everytime it happens. It goes away for weeks to months and then returns for a few days at a time. I really believe this is connected to the epidural the last time, as I never had anything like this until after the last baby.

This is just what I have experienced, and some input for those who want to research and consider the pros and cons.

I still have to go in to have a surgery to repair the rectocele as it has only gotten much worse with the other two afterward. But it will keep me in the hospital for a few days and where will I find that kind of free time?

Personally, I think my birthing classes were most important. I had this EXCELLENT instructor that told us EVERYTHING we could expect, all possibilities. Everything that came up, I knew about and was prepared for. I was not scared, because I knew what the process was and why.

Blessings to each of you and your precious children, Julianne

I wanted to go med. free for both my boys. I recieved Demerol in the beginning to take the edge off but I wigged out on it. The nuses opted to give me an epi. Once they gave it to me I was able to relax and enjoy what was happening. Some people can tolerate pain but cannot get to 'that level'..which is me. The first time you give birth you don't know what to expect. I just could not get my body to get to that 'happy place'. I think if I would of had a water birth or hypno birth I'd do better--but because I was high risk it was not an option. They induced both my boys and when you are induced your body is forced to go ahead much faster which equals more pain.

Try not to focus so hard on all this. What I always say is "It does not matter how he/she comes out, what matters is how life starts once your bundle gets home!" Pull him out of my nose--I don't care---just get him out!

With my first child i had been talked out of epidurals by so many women that i decide i would be brave. But i had problems late in the pregnancy and my labour was induced. If you've not been induced then i will tell you, inducing a pregnancy makes labour come on hard and fast. No gradual build up. After a short time i couldnt take it and i had to make a quick decision because the anaestheisologist or whoever does it was only in the labour ward for a short time. so i said what the heck, lets have it! I dont regret it at all--it made the whole labour much easier to deal with. And i would have had it any way because i ended up needing a c-section. My other 2 kids were also c-sections and epidurals. the only draw back is that now i sometimes feel a little ache at the epidural site. I suspect its becuase my last two pregnancies were 13 months apart, so there wasnt proper healing time; and the last time (4 years ago) it seemed there was a little difficulty finding the right spot to put the needle in. But other wise all was and is well.

Mai

I say pray about it and do what is right for you. There isnt a right or wrong answer. I fully intended on having epidurals, and had epidurals for both deliveries. I didnt have any problems that I can think of with either one. Natural birth is also completely possible, many mothers can do it with no meds at all. I would say my pain tollerance is medium. I have had knee surgery, broken leg, spinal tap. I survived all those, and I could survive a natural birth...but I will take the easy way out if I can get away with it. The afterbirth exhaustion, and pain from nursing is enough for me.