Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Pain management during delivery

Pain management during delivery  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Pain management during delivery

• I wanted to be medication free, went through medication free, and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted to be medication free but mid-way opted for an epidural and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted to be medication free but mid-way opted for an epidural and regreted that decision.
    • I wanted an epidural, got an epidural, and was pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted an epidural but missed my window of opportunity, thus going medication free but pleased with the experience.
    • I wanted an epidural but missed my window of opportunity, thus going medication free and regretting it.

I had an epidural, so I'm definitely not condoning ANYONE for getting pain meds, and I wasn't a Christian when I had my son, so I never thought of it this way...

But isn't it kinda...getting around God when we get pain meds for child birth? Didn't God want us to have pain during childbirth?

Again, totally asking this as a neutral question.

My husband had the same thought about medication being a way to get around God's natural design. I guess I started to feel like I went through plenty of pain before I actually got the epidural so it wasn't as big of a deal to me. I had the epidural (after 7 hours of intense labor at home) with my first child and thought it was wonderful. I opted to not get medication with my second child and was glad that I did it although I wasn't sure I wanted to do it again. I thought I would be able to do that with my third child as well but ended up opting for the epidural because everything was the contractions were so close together and intense and I still hadn't progressed very far. I was disappointed with the decision at first until we realized that something was wrong and they had to do an emergency C-section to get the baby out. It turned out to be a great decision because I was able to just get in there and have the surgery.

I have always told other women that I would recommend a mother get an epidural the first time if she's not strongly opposed to it. I know I was more scared because I didn't know what labor was going to be like. It helped to get through the experience mostly pain free and then I was more prepared for the next labor and was able to do it without meds. I also don't think women should put other women down for whatever decision they make. I had other mothers who made me feel like I was less of a woman because i decided to get an epidural with the first child. It was very hard for me to deal with.

I didnt have a choice about getting an epidural. I knew that I would be having a C-section since my twins were breech. I opted for the C-section because I did not want to risk anything going wrong with the delivery. I was scheduled for the C-section and had an ultrasound done in pre-op to verify the position of the babies and they were still breech. I did not have any side effects from the epidural and was pleased with how well my body tolerated it. The scariest part for me was having the needle placed in my spine, yet God worked everything out for me and I had a pleasant experience.

I had my first daughter in '06 and me and my husband took a hardline stance against pain meds from the start. I was induced and for the first 24 hours I went without meds. I was hooked up to pitocin so my pain was intensified like crazy. After a full night in the hospital they sent me home because I wasnt making any progress and my Dr. and I believed that my uterus was over saturated with pitocin. So I went home and wound up right back in the hospital with a UTI and so they gave me meds for that and then we waited to see if I would progress on my own before putting me back on the pitocin. This time I decided on the epidural. My husband and I prayed and trusted God. Well it turned out that I needed an urgent c-section because my daughter was in distress. In the end I'm am content with my decision for an epidural and no one should feel less than because she chooses one. I think that if we pray for wisdom God will give it and guide us in every step, especially in pregnancy and childbirth.

I had an epidural, so I'm definitely not condoning ANYONE for getting pain meds, and I wasn't a Christian when I had my son, so I never thought of it this way...

But isn't it kinda...getting around God when we get pain meds for child birth? Didn't God want us to have pain during childbirth?

My belief is that God isn't the one popping it out and he created man and man is intelligent there inventing pain meds and epidurals...what a beautiful thing. I walked into the hospital asking for an epidural and glad I did.