Ani

Alcohol

Alcohol  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Alcohol

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Comment)

Is drinking alcohol a sin? I know Christians who are totally against alcohol, and others who do drink. We asked our pastor, and he just told us that he doesn't care for it, and to follow our own convictions. I grew up with my mother telling me that alcohol is "of the devil". My husband's family think it's OK once in awhile.

I would just like to know how other Christians feel about it.

What a great question. I grew up similar to you, it sounds. I was raised in a Baptist church, but regardless of that, my parents did not have alcohol in our home. Now that I look back, I appreciated that. When they told me they didn't want me to "drink", it carried a lot more weight and meant a lot more when it came from them, and they were NOT sitting their holding a beer or glass of wine while they said it! They did not drink socially, either. For them it was a personal choice and a conviction of their Christian walk too.

For me, I tried it when I was in college, and it was not for me. I didn't care for any type of alcohol, and I ended up seeing the negative effects of it if someone consumes it irresponsibly. I have many friends now who enjoy a good glass of wine with a meal or beer or whatever. I do not sit in judgement of them whatsoever. This is my attitude NOW. Several years ago, I felt differently. But, as I stated because I saw firsthand how alcohol can ruin a person who abuses it.

Now, medically, they (doctors?) say a glass of wine a day (or is it week? ho) can be good for your heart/blood pressure or something. Don't quote me on that, but it's something along those lines. For me, personally, I'm not going to start doing that for that specific health benefit, but again, I do not sit in judgement of anyone who does drink.

I know first hand MYSELF that drinking any amount CAN impair your mindset, vision, judgement both mentally and physically, etc. So - I choose not to. My husband feels the same way. We don't keep it in our home. We have a specific message we want to send to our children.

Again, just my thoughts. But a subject that is always on my mind. I know someday my children will probably try it like I did. All I can do is pray that God will lead them where HE wants them and guide them to make wise decisions, hoping that we have raised them and trained them to be wise in the ways of the world, but most of all in God's teaching. The Lord watched over me mroe than I realized at the time. There was one large hedge around ME while I was in college (that hedge was like God's arms) and He kept me safe and from so many possibilities of harm and bad situations, etc. I am thankful every day that I didn't go down the wrong path at some point. I could easily say I am so lucky, but I am truly blessed. It's a miracle.

I don't think it is a sin. The bible condemns drunkeness, but every drink doesn't have to lead that way. Paul suggested Timothy have a little wine when he was ill, again, a little. {1 Timothy 5:23} and Christ even turned wather into wine at a wedding as one of His first miracles. {John 2} So I feel no remorse for taking my Nyquil or toasting the bride and groom with real Champagne.

Not For Me!

For myself , yes I consider it sin. Because the bible talks of being a good witness, and to not be a stumbling block to others. My husband is what you would call a "binge" alcoholic, he has struggled hard with it he quit drinking three years ago in nov.he has stumbled yes. But has changes so much and things are good now. So in this case yes because I could have a drink now and then no problem, but if he takes a drink he wants to get totally wasted. So for me to drink would be sin,as I would become a stumbling block for him. And the whole drinking,just leads to things which aren't good.

As Christianmom said, impairs you.

Our marriage was almost ruined by alcohol, and I have seen some which were. So we stay completely away from it. And that is what we are teaching our children. But we also have to remember there are other things which are just as addicting and harmful to our marriages as well, (credit cards, food, gambling, gossiping,shopping etc)

In Christ,

Mom Of Three

Alcohol

I have been struggling with this very question for awhile now. I dont think its a sin unless a person carries it to far, or drinks with the intent to get drunk. However, I also feel very ashamed when I am having a drink and not knowing if the person next to me is an alcoholic. We are told not to do anything that might bring another man down (I cant find this scripture, if you can will you please send it to me!). You never really know who is around you or who is watching you and to be drinking and not knowing those things could be sinful.

I Corinthians 8

1Corinthians chapter 8 is the passage you are looking for I think ,

7 ¶ Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

meat here can mean anything really I think. [ not advocating vegetarianism ]

there are other passages but this was the first that came to mind.

Is drinking a sin?

My husband and I belong to a church that preaches no drinking. However, I don't feel that there is anything wrong with having a glass of wine with my husband, only on weekends or if we go out to eat with friends. We have been very up front with our church and pastor about our differences and most members respect our opion. I think anything done to excess can be a sin if it impairs you or hurts your family.

I replied to the other catagory. I think it can be a sin, depending on how and when it is used.

Growing up, my parents had no alocohol in the house. Now that my brother and I are both grown, they will have an occasional drink. I appreciate them taking that stand. Lots of teenagers drink to fit in, and having no alocohol in the house made it very clear that it was wrong for us. Although one Christmas my mother made "rum balls", and I admit trying to make myself a mixed drink of rum and orange juice just to try. I wanted to be able to say to my friends that yes, I had tried alocohol. Clearly a sin, and I knew it. Anyway it was just awful, and I have to roll my eyes at how peer pressure will make you do the stupidest things.

My husband enjoys a beer once in a great while with a steak, that sort of thing, or I might order a glass of wine with my meal. There are some people in the church that would never drink, and I wouldn't drink around them, but not many say that they think it is a sin. Just that they wouldn't do it. (not to be a stumbling block.)

As far as alocohol being from the devil, I think the devil is more than willing to use almost anything to make people fall. Sex for instance is terribly misused and abused these days, and certainly a stumbling block to many, But it doesn't make it from the devil. We have just preverted it as humans are so often inclined to do with anything good God gives us. Lauren

Well obviously drinking alcohol, in moderation, is not a sin. Jesus enjoyed his wine and made sure it didn't run out at the wedding feast. I bet that was some vintage, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Confusing

A couple of Sundays ago, Dr. Rogers (our Pastor) said that indeed Jesus drank even made wine for the wedding guests, but Dr. Rogers emphasized that it was unfermented wine .

It made me feel a little awkward. So would that be the difference between champagne and say sparkling cider?

As for us, my husband and I do enjoy a little sippy after the little ones go to bed. :rolleyes:

-Eileen

An older lady from my congregation says that the wine that Jesus would have had in those days was a "first" pressing of the grapes that would be pure grape juice and unfermented. I guess I haven't found that in my Bible yet. Apparently you have to look at the Bible commentaries that translate the original Hebrew to find out the real meaning.

However, my husband and I still like to have a drink every so often on a weekend or out with friends.

I see no reason why the wine the Lord made in Cana would not be of the best vintage

After all He Created the world in 6 days , so how easy it would be for Him to turn 6 pots of water into fermented wine ?

Incidentaly I don't drink alcohol for the reasons given in

1 Corinthians 8 [ a stumbling block to others] and

2 Corinthians 6 [ Ye are the temple of the living God ]

Wonka2

Thoughts - they don't call it "wine & spirits" for nothing. If it is bad for your children why would it be good for you? Is bad language a sin? Everyone has to follow their convictions, I know plenty of people who think they don't have to drive the speed limit if they choose not to. However, there is scripture that tells us to avoid even the appearance of evil. So if that means I don't use bad language, don't drink, and don't speed then so be it.

Alcohol

The bible says"Be not drunk" I interpret that as it is not a sin to drink but a warning against being drunk. When we get drunk we allow the enemy to get his foot in the door and risk all types of anti-holy behavior and we are told to "Be holy for I am holy". I lost all desire for alcohlol. : :)

The bible says"Be not drunk" I interpret that as it is not a sin to drink but a warning against being drunk. When we get drunk we allow the enemy to get his foot in the door and risk all types of anti-holy behavior and we are told to "Be holy for I am holy". I lost all desire for alcohlol. : :

I think that alcohol along ith many other things, are not so much a sin in itself but....as mom9597 said it allows the emeny to get in.. and that opens the door and Satan will take every inch we let him.

Also it really can be a bad witness to others, esp. those who may really have struggles with drinking. And besides that look how many families break apart from alcholisim.

The Bible says that God knows the intent of the heart. If we are able to enjoy a glass of wine, for instance, with dinner or after the children are tucked away, God knows if we are trying to escape from our reality through drunkeness, or if we are simply having a glass of wine. Its not for us to decide who is sinning when they have a "drink". It is Gods choice. He is the judge. (Thank God for that!) Obviously, a Christian should not be out drinking when it will be a stumbling block for someone else. But that goes for other things besides drinking as well. The best thing we can do is use Godly wisdom in the choices we make for ourselves.

Me again -

So this is a hot topic and we have many opinions, and I think it's great all the points we are making...

Of course I already gave my view on this subject, but I had to make one more comment. I was recently at my HS reunion and I know many of my friends from school drink, maybe regularly or socially. Get this, though, it was my 20 year reunion, and there were a few people there who gave me a hard time. (and gave my husband a hard time too!) Of course I don't think any less of them, but I know if they knew the experiences I've had since I'd last seen them (10 years) ago, AND since high school, they never would have said a word. One of them was with me when I tried the drinking scene in college, and they probably had no idea that that was it for me.

My point is (and I do have one! ha!) that I agree with some of you to think about being a stumbling block for others. That is such a good point. Again, I think if some people would have know what I had seen, then they wouldn't have said a word, but it just suprised me that after so many years, it was still a big enough deal to say something.

Praise God, at least it's not me that was the alcoholic and would have been tempted by the situation. It's so hard because so many social events include alcohol, but I've found that true friends learn we know how to have fun without it.

I enjoy a night out and dancing just as much as the next person, I just don't have to have alcohol to enhance it. I also wouldn't know what to order if it were wine with dinner, although having been to many business dinners and parties, I am learning a bit.

So - there's my thought. I have learned I think I am in the minority on this, but I guess that's just life! You know?

I hate alcohol and its destructive power. But the Bible clearly states to be DRUNK is the sin.

The term "Spirits" for alcohol is correct. People lose control and do what they should not do. The effects of this sin is far reaching.

Is smoking cigarettes a sin? The Bible is very clear about worshiping the Lord only, and Him will you serve. Any time ANYTHING takes hold of us, it is SIN. Plain and simple.

Simply drinking alcohol is not a sin. Overindulging is considered a "sin"...gluttony I believe.

Personally I choose not to drink alcohol. I did in my teens when I went through depression and some bad things in life...I drank off and on...but nothing good ever came out of it because when it was "on" time it was bad.

I feel God freed me from that "vice" in life and honestly I have no desires for it what so ever, in fact the smell of it turns my stomach. I have not consumed alcohol for more than 6 years. *one exception, my mom got some champagne for a toast at the hotel when my husband and I got married. We did not have alcohol at our wedding.

Since then though, my husband does consume an occasional mixed drink. I don't like having it in the house, but he is alright with it. He grew up in a family that considers drinking to be acceptable, in moderation, when you are of legal age to do so.

As far as it being a "sin". *shrug* I think that the apostles reccomended that we didn't "get drunk" and that those in ministry should not drink. It seems many different people have different convictions on this issue. I don't know if it is a sin in moderation...I mean...caffeine is a "drug" as well, but it seems natural for many to grab a soda/pop 3 or 4 times a day and chug it down..or drink coffee by the pot. Is any of it completely healthy...*shrug*...I don't know, probably not. But we never look at caffeine the same way we do alcohol even though both are addictive and both affect our bodies, brains, and moods. Some people even consider smoking a sin, while others do not...there are many terrible drugs and agents in ciggarets, but it is somewhat socially acceptable, although addictive, cancerous, and smelly.

I know that parts of the bible say that our body is a temple for God and to take care of ourselves...does that limit to drugs/tattoo's/piercings...or even to overindulgance at the local fast food places. Does eating poorly count as not taking care of ourselves in God's best interests?

It seems easy to draw the line visually or mentally at what is sin and what isn't...what seems worse than another...but really...overall I guess it is between that person and God. We can feel many things are a sin, but in this day and age it seems "incorrect" to approach someone on anything. It seems many years ago, or even in the bible...people could confront someone on their sin and they would take what the person said to heart.(Nathan & David as an example)

Now a days it seems we aren't allowed to say something is a sin. I understand the idea of the plank in our eye with the dust speck in theirs...and that for the most part we don't need to be doting over other people to see if they are sinning...but when it is someone close to you, that you know personally...and you see them struggling with something, I think it is possible to come to them in prayer and compassion and help them through it.

I think for the alcoholic, alcohol may be a sin in their life because they are relying on the alcohol to relieve pain, depression, problems, and when something goes wrong they aren't seeking God...but seeking the bottle.

I guess overall...anything that replaces God in your life is a sin...if you are seeking that thing to fill the void instead of God...

((sorry...I ramble))

Hi All,

When I met with the pastor at my church a few months ago he made a great point...something I had never thought of before. I was becoming a new member to the church and one of the requirements was not to consume alcohol. I told him that I get very bad head aches and the doctor said he could either give me medicine or I could drink a glass of wine. I tried the medicine and it left me in a "coma". I couldn't function to take care of my kids. My pastor said that to drink wine for that purpose was okay as long as I wasn't a negative witness to others. He said not to go to the local Applebee's and have glass of wine. He said a new member of the church or someone who is thinking about attending could see me and say "well Dawn is drinking wine so it must be okay". They have a drink and become an alcoholic. I know it is a stretch however I am sure stranger things have happened. My Step-Father was an alcoholic and so is my former husband. Alcohol can sure mess up a persons life! :( I really don't think that alcohol is "bad" - like anything else you can't let it control you. ( Sorry to ramble as well...)

Have a great weekend and make it a special one with your family! ;)

wow!!!!! y'all have made some really good points. I think that drinking alcohol and admitting that you are a christian is sending mixed signals. We, as christians are already prey to non-christians just waiting for us to mess up.

I used to drink, even when I was a christian. Then, my hubby pointed out that if a non-christian sees a christian drinking, it could definetely ruin your testimony. I definetely agree with that.

For example, my brother is an alcoholic. In 03' he came to live with us because he had hit rock bottom. He was skinny, homeless and eating out of garbage cans. The night that he called me, he was crying and was on the verge of killing himself. To make a very long story short, yeah right, he came to us on March 14 and on March 23 he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and personal Savior. He stopped drinking and he was the happiest I have ever seen him. He has 2 boys from a previous marriage, whom know that he drinks. He seemed to have turned his life around and his boys reallly believed it. Well, a year later, he felll off the wagon. And his boys knew it. What does that say to his boys about christianity. That it is a farce, and that God didn't hellp their dad. He is now recovering again, and lives by himself. He has a lot to fill.

Wow.....this is a hot topic! Those grey areas in life can stir up such great conversation. (smile)

I think we need to remember that alcohol, like food, candy, perscription drugs, T.V., clothing, etc.....can BECOME a sin. Is one oreo cookie a sin? No. But you indulge in 20 and that has become a time lacking "self-control". Are perscription drugs a sin? No, but if you abuse them they become a sin.

When Christ tells us "not to make our brother stumble" He also gave us the Holy Spirit to help guide us and prompt our hearts. Do YOU feel like you are causing somone to stumble when you have one drink? When you have a piece of pie in front of an overweight person? When you watch a T.V. program in front of your child when you know it is inappropriate? That is the work of the Holy Spirit. Listen to His promptings and you will know when you are causing someone to stumble or about to stumble yourself.

A good mode of operation for me is, when a question of my behaviour comes up in my head like "Should I wear this top? Is it too tight?" Well chances are.....that is the Holy Spirit and I should just change tops. When I find myself asking, "Should I have this one drink at my husband's work party?" If I am asking the question, then the answer is probably no.

Listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. He is our Helpmate. That is why God gave Him to us! Praise God!! I need it!

gmwahl

gmwahl

Something we all need to remember (including myself) is we need to stay close to the Lord, study His word, talk with Him each day. He will show us the way. If we are truly wanting to be children of God , we will search for His answers.

There are situation in all ours lives which do come up, and a lot of that is the work of Satan, just waiting for us to whatever it is, weither it be alcohol, overeating, gossipping, gambling, etc. there are numerous things we could name. There are alot of things we could put there. I even know of someone is works all the time, not because they have too, they are just addicted to it,they put it ahead of everthing else.

But as for drinking, really what good comes of it??? In my experiences nothing!

Anyways... I guess that was my two cents :p