Ani

Alcohol

Alcohol  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Alcohol

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Comment)

For me alchohol would be bad because my personality would want to drink all the time. I believe we need to know how we would handle the 'vice'. I also love ice cream but recently had pneumonia and cannot eat ice cream any more. Now, I had asked the Lord to help me with being obssessed with eating and the fact that I cannot no longer tollerate the ice cream tells me He cares very much about what we put into our bodies.

Thanks for bringing this up... it's obviously a heated topic. Don't know if you read the thread I had started previously: http://www.christianmom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773 Perhaps it might add some helpful stuff to those of us with family members or friends dealing with alcohol as an addiction, rather than within reasonable measure. Personally I think within reasonable measure is fine, but when it hinders someone else to see us drink, just do it somewhere else. Sin can all too often be simply in where the heart is. Both sides to the debate have valid answers. All we can do is pray that God will lead us where and how HE wants us to go.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing

I saw where someone said, It says it in the bible, lets take a look at what the bible says, See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

Ephesians 5:3-20

3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth)

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. 14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

abc

I don't think drinking alcohol is a sin but I do believe the reason you consume it could be. If you drink for the purpose of being drunk is sinful, having a glass of wine with dinner is o.k in my opinion. I choose not to drink myself I don't realy like the taste of the stuff. I come from a family with a very long history of alcoholism I thank the Lord that the cycle seems to have come to a halt with my sister and me. Very good subject!!!

Melissa

Not in moderation...

Hi,

I think that alcohol is a sin if the person gets drunk or becomes impaired in any way. But a glass of wine at dinner or one beer? No way are those sins. Moderation is the key. Even food can turn into a sin if you are a glutton...

The bible is clear in stating that being DRUNK is a sin. My personal conviction is that I don't drink alcohol. I used to be drunk frequently before I was walking with the LORD. I don't want my kids to see alcohol in our house. I don't want to give them an excuse when they're older to drink.... :)

I can't tell if it is a sin?

the only thing i know, alcohol ruin the life of many people, esp. the young one's. Look what the result of alcohol, there are many accident in the road, their are many life's been lost, even a good person, when he start drinking the alcohol, suddenly he will be change, hopefully, all the people realize the cause of being alcoholic. :( think deeply, b/f you do it!

I personally don't have a problem with alcohol as long as it's consumed in moderation. I think that means different things for different people as different bodies can handle more alcohol than others. I think you just have to be aware of your understanding of the scriptures while making sure not to be a stumbling block to other people. I think that having a beer or glass of wine could actually help you in witnessing to other people. I have had many non-Christian friends who were pleasantly surprised that I didn't have a problem with alcohol and it helped to establish a rapport with them. I have seen the negative effects of alcohol as well though. My aunt struggles with alcoholism and that has been a big issue in my mom's family. My husband and I try not to discuss the fact that we will have a drink in the evenings when we are with my grandparents or my aunt because they do have a problem with that.

I think Christians should follow their hearts with this issue but should also allow for the fact that other people might feel led in a different direction than they do and that should be ok as long as there is moderation. I have personally run into many people who will spend a lot of time talking about the evils of alcohol and then turn around and be unloving, gossip, etc. I think we just need to make sure that we are watching some of these other, more subtle things as well.

The bible says not to be drunk on wine it says nothing about marqueritas...just kidding seriously though I think drinking is OK as long as your not drunk and it isn't controlling your life or becoming something you use to forget pain etc...I drink maybe 1 or 2 drinks every few months and I don't get drunk.

The one mom said if it's bad for your children than it's bad for you, but it isnt bad for kids it's illegal in the USA. There are numerous countries where a 5 yr old can have a beer I'm not saying I agree with it. In Italy kids have wine with their meals it's a culture thing. No I don't allow my children to drink but I have allowed them to taste it and they find it gross which is a good thing. I figure it will help curb their curiousity when they are older.