Bibles

Bibles  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Bibles

• NIV
    • NLT
    • NKJ / KJ
    • ASB

Hello ladies, I am wondering what your opinions would be on the "correct" bible to read. I work part time at a christian book and bible store (loving it) and there are so many different versions out there, is there a "correct" one to read?

The bible I use most often is NIV, although I can't vote it as being THE "correct" translation. I haven't done enough personal research on translations to make a call on that.

Laurie

The 'correct' version of the Scriptures would really be the original manuscripts - but as few of us can read Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic we wouldn't be much further forward.

Personally I use the Authorised Version .

I was brought up with it , and love the Beautiful Language and Reverence of it.

My husband uses a AV / Revised Version but has a fair selection of different translations [ including a Swedish language one ].

He finds that a different one can make the meaning just that wee bit clearer.

The translation you should use is the one you prefer and the one that is closest to the meaning of the original.

I know many people find the AV difficult to understand if they aren't used to it.

Better to use one you can understand than a 'correct' one that leaves you puzzling over the message contained in it.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Wonka2

bibles

I used to battle with that issue a lot. The issue really isn't which version is better than which, but do you have an absolute authority - a standard that you can count on? Since they all seem to contradict each other and say different things you have to choose one to be your final authority. Naturally - after saying that - the next question I am asked is which one I use? I can't begin to tell you how my life has changed after coming back to the KJV (av1611 some call it) Bible. I had heard the debates over the newer versions and found myself in the same place as you - questioning. Here are some verses that really helped me see it from a Biblical perspective:

Psalms 12:6-7 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

These verses tell me that God will provide His Word for every generation of humans. If these verses are true, which I believe they are, where is His preserved Word? I want a copy! Some say that the only "reliable" Bibles are found in the original manuscripts. There are NO original manuscripts on the planet so therefore (using that argument) there is NO preserved Word of God and these verses are not true. Also, not every generation of humans speaks Hebrew or Greek so they would have no Word of God for themselves either. There is only one English Bible that has been around for every generation. The new translations were taken from a recently uncovered/found scrolls (manuscripts) that contained extra "books" and missing verses and chapters (don't believe it? Look for Acts 8:37 in your new version, I was amazed at how newer versions removed such an important verse that tells me that Jesus Christ is the Son of God!). Therefore - these "manuscripts" were missing for hundreds of years and again, generations. I've heard it said that these newer versions certainly contain enough truth to lead someone to Christ but not enough to allow the Christian to fully mature. Here are some verses that I used in my study to find my absolute authority:

Ps. 12:6-7

Ps. 78:1-8

Ps. 105:8

Ps. 119:89

Ps. 119:111

Ps. 119:152

Ps. 119:160

Pro. 22:20-21

Ecc. 3:14

Mat. 5:17-18

Mat. 24:35

John 10:35

1 Pet. 1:23-25

John 12:48

Isa. 59:21

Ps. 100:5

Lu. 16:17

Isa. 40:8

Ps. 33:11

Deut. 7:9

I Chr. 16:14-15

Ps. 117:2

Ps. 135:13

Ps. 102:12

John 1:1

Here is a link to a comparison chart of versions which show verses changed and/or completely removed in various versions:

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/various.html

Study for yourself, find which one you can completely trust and stick to it. God preserved His perfect Word for you!

I was raised with the king james version. I am afraid of the newly translated bibles because I am afraid something may get lost in translation. I know that the kjv was translated but it was the first translation many many years ago. I have not myslef done any research I just beleive in the kjv because thats what my parents believed.

I agree that there is not necessarily only one version that is the only one to use. Some translations are better than others. I like the New American Standard and the NIV, but I like the way the Psalms read in King James and we have lots of versions and lots of reference bibles also. My favorite is the Recovery Version Bible. It has lots of excellent footnotes and the translators went back to the most accurate Greek and Hebrew texts available and retranslated from them. It is online at http://online.recoveryversion.org/index1.asp and if you are in the USA, you can get a free Recovery Version New Testament from http://www.biblesforamerica.org .

Whichever version you choose, turn your heart to the Lord and pray when you read it, that the Lord may guide your understanding and that you may gain more of Him as you read.

In Christ, Toymom

When I am doing a bible study I like to be able to have a couple of translations ready. It is nice to have the same thing stated in different ways. I just bought a bible for my 6 year old. It is the NIRV. The new international readers version. The same as the NIV but things are explaned better for younger readers. I haven't had a chance to do a comparison yet.

I guess more important than what bible you have to read is that you are actually reading a bible on a regular basis. I know this can be hard to do for us busy moms. I often fall short of spending the time I need to in God's word. Lauren

I just got a "Life-application" NIV and I LOVE IT!!! Hubby prefers his NASB and I have been using NKJV for years. This new one has so many neat applications to modern life. It really helps me to understand how to apply the Word to every situation. We like to read together and compare the differences in our translations. Hubby thinks that NASB is the closest to the original. He was brought up using KJV and thinks that NASB is easier to understand. He is VERY concerned about staying as close to the original as possible. Our pastor has been using The Message often in his semons... hubby is (needless to say) not pleased!

I have several versions -- NIV (New Iternational Version); NKJV (New King James Version); ESV (English Standard Version, courtesy of my Brit hubby); NASB (New American Standard Bible); NLT (New Living Translation); and the Amplified Bible.

God's word is a Living Word. Who among us hasn't read a passage one day, then later re-read it and it then seemed to say something totally different? I keep all these versions around so that I can study the Bible in different ways. Language can be so subjective to interpretation, like it or not... but also, as I said, the Bible is LIVING-- which means the Holy Spirit will interpret for us as we allow Him in.

I pick a different version based on my need for the day. Sometimes I want to put myself into the history of the Bible in real language; that's when I pick up the NLT. Other times I like the NIV, especially since it has a study guide. NKJV (or even original KJV) are great for purity and putting my mind in a more reverenced and awed vision of God. NASB is great on it's own, but sometimes I like to compare verses with NIV. My husband really likes to use the Amplified Bible in preparing for sermons, as it gives him some insight as to how other believers may interpret the passages.

There is no one "right" choice for everyone as to what Bible to use. God will speak to us through His Word regardless of the version of choice. It's just my own 2-cents worth to say that I like to have several versions on hand.

Any version would be alright, what ever you feel comfortable reading and understanding. When the Bible was translated from Greek and Hebrew the translations changed because one word in Hebrew for example could be several words in the English language, the authors just chose the words that they thought fit.

Rick Warner, the author of "The Purpose Driven Life" used several translations while writing that book. I like the King James and the New Century Version (the everyday study Bible). My husband reads The New American Bible.

As long as you read and understand what you are reading that is all that matters.

Christy

I heard that the most correct one is actually the King James. The NIV actually has some scriptures missing I am told ,and the notes in the study version are not always correct. However, I tried to read the king James and In honesty, I felt as though I didn't get quite as much out it. It was hard to mantian my focus. It really just depends on you. The Holy Spirit is able to interperate God 's word for you any ways, so He will teach the proper perspective and sift out mans opinoin that is not in line with his will. If you ask and search. Whatever keeps you in the word is the one that you should read.Second chance

I believe the KJV is the only one to use. It is supposed to be the closest to the original in its translations. I'm hestitant to use the others in that there may be things left out or misunderstood. My pastor is very strong on doctorine and it is very important on what you use in your daily life. I would hate for you to miss the true meaning of God's word in a version that was made for people to read easier. If you are afraid of the KJV on how it reads, give a week and pray and study it. You will find the answers you need!!! All in all it is your personal decision. I say pray to God on what his will is for you to use. I will be praying for you in your decision making. Always bring the glory to God's word!!!

This may be a little late to respond but hopefully it'll come to good use for someone esle. I believe that there isn't really a "correct" Bible. It's preference I think. If I could afford them, I would like to get maybe 3 or 4 different translations. That way when I'm doing a Bible study I can compare the different translations and maybe get a different meaning of what I'm studying. I like to use the NIV and the NKJV.

ilovemotherhood, they actually make comparative Bibles where one text has multiple translations printed side by side (up to four translations in one book) - if you're saving pennies to get some different translations, this would be a great way to go.

Laurie

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good children's picture bible my five year old and I could read together. I personally have the KJV and I have a really hard time trying to read it with her. I have a pretty good grasp of old english, so it's a little easier for me than it may be for some. Thanks!