Sign in to follow this  
naejeirual

Are you an "Environmentalist"?

Are you an "Environmentalist"?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an "Environmentalist"?

• This world is not our home. God has told us that this world will be destroyed. We should feel no obligation to maintain this planet but should use it to it's full capacity during the limited time we are here.
    • God has made us stewards of this world and we should stive to walk a fine line between conserving the earth as a gift from God and using it's resources to make life more liveable for all.
    • This planet is God's perfect creation and we humans just mess it up. We ought to go to every extent to make sure our presence here doesn't disturb the balance of nature.

I heard on the radio that yesterday (4/22) was Earth Day... I don't know if that's just here in the States or all over, but, the Christian radio station I listen to was talking about Christians and environmentalism. As a Christian, what are your thoughts regarding how we ought to interact with the planet?

I don't really like the choices given

The second option really sounds like the choice I 'ought' to make, but I would be more inclined to vote for the third option

I do almost everything I can to preserve the environment around me from not littering to cutting the plastic cola can rings so some poor Sea Turtle isn't caught in it. When I was little I dreamed of how perfect the world would be if humans were not here to mess it up. I find absolute perfection in the Earth and solar system and I give all the credit to our perfect Creator.

I think that fine line between conserving the Earth and using it's resources has long been erased. We are a species that uses and uses and uses and there is always a price and that price is the integrity of the ecosystem.

I may sound like a radical granola girl, but rest assured my priorities are where they need to be - right at the base of the Lords big toe ;-)

Love in Christ,

Eileen

This survey was up when I checked the homepage today... I know it's been awhile but I wanted to respond.

Hey Eileen,

I know you responded to this survey just about forever ago but somehow I missed it. I hope no one minds me bringing this thread to the forefront.

Just wanted to let you know that I am completely with you in doing everything I can do to preserve the environment. You are right - what God created is the closest thing to perfection this side of heaven and I look forward to when we get to reside in the new world that doesn't have a trace of the death and decay we have to live with in this corrupted world.

I wanted to clarify my thoughts as I formed the options for this survey. For #1, there are a lot of people that recognize that the earth is beautiful and functional but they don't consider it something that they need to make any effort to take care of - they see the entire thing as a disposable resource. They figure that if their lifestyle causes the lights to go out one day or one millennia earlier than it's no big deal because the planet belongs to the people. For #2, there are people who make varying degrees of effort to adapt their lifestyle to balance people needs versus planet needs. I for one consider myself to fall into this category. In regard to your comment that we are a species that uses and uses... I think too many people consider themselves as #2 types but live as #1 types. I also consider my lifestyle to be just about as granola girl as I can be without tipping into what I picture category #3 to be - the people that consider humans nothing but a tax on the planet and desire social policies and birthrates that will eventually leave this planet uninhabited by humans. I think of this category as one where people have one or no children to fight overpopulation ( the replacement level birthrate is 2.1 births per couple), and would not oppose abortion or euthanasia because their result is a decrease in the human population. I intended this category to represent people who, when having to choose between funding a legitimate human need and an animal need, will pick to fund the animal need.

When I initally wrote the survey, I had wanted to give much more detail about what I was picturing but it would have been wordier than it was already... I had hoped that some people would respond and we would have a conversation that brought everything up, but... oh well.

Laurie

P.S. I jusr reread my wording on option #3 and, you're right, it does sound rathering tempting. Guess I can't fault anyone for not knowing my mind, huh?

Not Enough Choices

Okay, I'm going to concur on the not being enough choices for votes. The environmental question is always such a hot debate.

In Genesis God gave man dominion over all things, but the caveat was, and still is, that we have to be responsible with it. But by the same token, we were also called to excercise the Spirit of wisdom and common sense that God gave us too. There are things to be fanatics over, and some things we should just say and do the right things on and then let it go.

I, for one, am really sick of getting brow beaten by the obsessive environmentalists. Seems pretty clear to me that they have a really unbalanced focus... especially when they put conservation above the needs of the people needing to use the resources that God gave us.

Do I think we have an obligation to be good caretakers of what God gave us? Yes. Do I think we should be allowed to use all the resources God gave us? Yes... as long as we are being responsible with that incredible power of dominion over all these things. Do I recycle? No, not really like I "should"... and maybe that makes me a hypocrite for saying we need to be responsible for what we are given, but it's an honest answer. (And it's one that I hear from the polls that most of us share in).

Are you guys aware that Germany has a mandatory recyling program? Seriously! All trash, at home or at a business, must be separated. Food in one bin, glass in another, plastic, and then paper items all have to be sorted by the individual. It was kind of weird to eat at McDonalds and see that there were several shelves and bins at the trash cans where we all had to sort out what we were throwing away. Maybe that's not a bad plan... but I suppose it only works for them because it's been made mandatory, and that probably "wouldn't fly" here in the Good Ol' U.S.of A.

Just do it

I think it all boils down to how much respect we truly have for God as the creator. If we respect him and reverance him in our personal lives, that will motivate us to respect and take care of His creation. That is the bottom line don't you think? Those people who are not driven to do such things may not see God in right "priority" .When we understand that we are really stewards of it, just like our finances or our time or anything else, we have a responsablitly unto God to show him reverance in it.The world is a terrible thing to waste.It's like saying, "If I know I am going to get dirty, then why take a shower." If we know the world will end, why take care of it? Cause you just do! :)

Second chance

I think it sounds like we'll all pretty much on the same page here. Of course, God puts higher value on human life than on nature, but we should be willing to do our part to take good care of this awesome gift that we've been given. If there is ever any choice between caring for nature and caring for people- humankind wins out every time.

Okay... this is something I feel extremely passionate about. I've done the research, and before I was a Christian I was certainly on the other side of the fence. But here is the truth, people: This whole Green Movement is on the verge of becoming a new paganistic religion. Actually, I wrote an indepth article on it, all based on fact. If anyone is interested, please write me at Freedomswings@live.com

I would love to mail it to you.