Sign in to follow this  
TwinCrier

A different perspective on our upcoming election

This e-mail is from a Senior Pastor who attended a recent National Pastor’s conference in San Diego: it makes an important political statement on the upcoming election.

I recently attended the National Pastors Convention in San Diego with several thousand pastors from many different denominations. During oneof the general sessions, the MC introduced a pastor from Uzbekistan. He had traveled the farthest to attend the convention, so they wanted tointerview him. I don't remember his name, and even if I did, I know I couldn't pronounce it. However, I do know this: I will never forget this man.

Right away, I liked him. He was humble, sincere, and gracious. He apologized for his broken English, though I thought he spoke very well.

As the MC interviewed him, he began to share about his ministry in his country that borders Afghanistan. He talked about the church he pastors of a few hundred people.

He also shared how it is illegal in his country to be a Christian. You see, his church is an "underground" church. Amazingly, his city also has 3 "underground" Christian schools. He talked about how the Christians have been arrested and even killed in his country.

Then, as the interview was about to end, he began to speak very urgently and passionately. He said something to this effect: "I would like all of youto know that my church and the Christians in my country are praying that President Bush will be reelected."

I was stunned. I knew that this gathering had to include many pastors from all over the political spectrum and I was certain this would not go over well.

Immediately, there were murmurings and rumblings throughout the audience and the MC seemed a little uncertain about what to do next.

However, this pastor would not be denied. Grasping the microphone firmlyin his hand, he continued, "The officials in my country are afraid of President Bush, so they don't persecute Christians as much. Under Clinton it was very bad for us. Many of us were arrested, put in jail, and some were killed. With Clinton, it was very bad. But under President Bush, it has been so much better, so we are praying for him."

The murmuring ended. It was suddenly very quiet. The MC paused. Then he just asked us to stand and pray for this man and we did so with great passion. Choking back tears, I was immediately struck with this realization in my heart: this coming election was not just about me or my church or my country.

This coming election would affect the entire world. And while there are many Christians and churches in this country that may not support and may even despise our current President, there is a group of Christians halfway around the world who are desperately praying for his reelection

All of a sudden, the election became something very different for me.

It is not just about the economy, gay marriage, or weapons of mass destruction.

It's about the persecuted church around the world. As believers, what issues should be more important to us? This transcends politics. This is about the Kingdom of God for which Christ suffered and died, and for those believers in other countries who are suffering and dying as well.

I was also convicted in my heart about praying for our President. And I wonder, which church is praying more fervently for him: the persecuted church in Uzbekistan or the prosperous church in America? It makes you think. As the Apostle Paul said in Hebrews 13:3, "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering."

Remember, this election is not just about us. It's about them too!

Ridley Barron, Senior Pastor Grace Pointe Church

912-393-3601

gppastor@alltel.net

This election more than ever it is imperative that Christians come together and re elect President Bush. The moral issues alone such as partial-birth abortion should bring us out in droves. Please vote!!

I can't understand *WHY* any Christian would vote for another candidate besides George W. Bush, he's not perfect(but none but One are)-he loves the Lord and I believe that he seeks God's face before making decisions. He is my brother in Christ and I look forward to voting for him once again. I thank God that he is humble enough to realize that the things going on around him are much bigger than he is-and be willing to humble himself and hit his knee's like the rest of us and ask for guidance. I also pray for him daily...

I have heard other Christians speak of George Bush, both in positive and negative ways. I myself like him and will definitely vote for him again. Some of the complaints I have heard are of course about the war and how we should have never got involved. I disagree with that but there is a girl I know whose husband was sent over and now they are getting divorced. :confused: I know some people are very unhappy with the gas prices and I actually heard someone say that if the gas prices didn't ever go down that he would not vote for Bush again. Personally I like George W. Bush and I think he has done an excellent job in office. He came into a tough situation and I think he made the right call. He got Saddam. I can't imagine how it would have turned out if Al Gore had won the presidency and I don't want to even begin to think about it.:)

Well said by all. I believe President Bush is a great and godly man. It drives me crazy to hear people talk about gas prices, we are so spoiled in this country. No one anywhere has gas as cheap as we do. As far as the persecuted church in other countries, I was so moved and convicted about my prayer life for the President -- thank you for posting this!;)

Remember - The Lord is in Control

Romans 13: ¶ Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

1 Timothy 2:1 ¶ I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

President Bush and his nonstop lies about Iraq are a good example of why people are leaving the church in droves.

Is it too much to ask the followers of the Prince of Peace to stop cheerleading for war constantly?

I don't think there is a Christian out there who is cheerleading for war. Rather, I think we would all wish that we were not at war. Ashbee77, I am not trying to pick on you but could you please list some of Bush's non stop lies about Iraq. Do you think he lies about the fact that he gets on his knees everyday to pray for the guidence of this country? God help his soul if he is lying.

God has this world in his controll. He will use anyone who is in the Presidential office to bring about his plans. IF you are a Christian aren't you the least bit glad to have someone who is in office who you know is concerened about God's will, even if you don't agree with all of his pollicies? I would hope so.

And as far as the "prince of peace" is concerened, don't forget that Jesus was not always peaceful. We use that name when we are living in accordance with his will. He brings us perfect peace and comfort.

Should the founding fathers of this country said" since Jesus is the Prince of peace we will not be fighting for our freedom." When Hitler was killing thousands of innocent Jews and others, should we have said " well, since Jesus is the prince of Peace we can not help to stop this godless violence." I could go on and on and on. Do not forget that thousands of people gave their lives in war so we could have the freedom to speak freely about these very things. If they hadn't I doubt very much that any of us would have the freedom to sit here on a Christian websight like this and share our opinions.

Are Christians who support this war blood thirsty? Absolutly not and I do not care for the insinuation.

I think the current situation with the Iraq elections where terrorists are threatening to kill anyone who even votes is proof enough that we are doing the right thing. What other country do you know that dispatches death threats to voters?

Just wanted to state for the record that I don't believe there is a connection between people leaving the church and George W. Bush's faith and actions. People leaving the church has more to do with our living in an era where truth is believed to be relative, and where the church has become more concerned with being politically correct and all-embracing than with being true. People who's hearts are being called to seek the one true God aren't finding the "have it your way" teaching to be appealing. And, we already know that in the last days those turning away from God will outnumber those turning to him - I'm not trying to preach about when Christ's return may be... just that it is written that we are in the last days.

Laurie

I don't think there is a Christian out there who is cheerleading for war. Rather, I think we would all wish that we were not at war. Ashbee77, I am not trying to pick on you but could you please list some of Bush's non stop lies about Iraq. Do you think he lies about the fact that he gets on his knees everyday to pray for the guidence of this country? God help his soul if he is lying.

Lots of people pray. Hitler prayed. Bin Laden prays. Prayer is not meant to take the place of common sense and logic and morality, and it won't compensate for their absence.

God has this world in his controll. He will use anyone who is in the Presidential office to bring about his plans.

Then why vote at all?

IF you are a Christian aren't you the least bit glad to have someone who is in office who you know is concerened about God's will, even if you don't agree with all of his pollicies? I would hope so.

Concern about God's will is necessary but it can be dangerous when you confuse God with some man-made ideology like Bush apparently has. Yes, democracy is an ideology. Democracy at gunpoint is a stupid ideology.

Should the founding fathers of this country said" since Jesus is the Prince of peace we will not be fighting for our freedom."

Interesting question, and I can see both sides of it, but surely you can see the differences? In the first place, we seceded from Britain; we did not invade Britain. But the really interesting thing to me is, our government today is more oppressive than the British colonial one in almost every way you can name. Yes we can choose our leaders, and in return we have higher taxes, more debt, more government intrusion into more areas of life, less privacy, etc. Was that a good trade-off? But I don't see too many Christians saying that the violent overthrow of the government now is justified.

When Hitler was killing thousands of innocent Jews and others, should we have said " well, since Jesus is the prince of Peace we can not help to stop this godless violence." I could go on and on and on.

I disagree with U.S. entry in WW2 also, but that argument could go on for years, so I'm not going to start it.

Do not forget that thousands of people gave their lives in war so we could have the freedom to speak freely about these very things. If they hadn't I doubt very much that any of us would have the freedom to sit here on a Christian websight like this and share our opinions.

Whatever can be said for or against other wars that have been fought, my freedom was not enhanced in any way by defeating a tenth-rate power like Iraq. Neither was yours.

Are Christians who support this war blood thirsty? Absolutly not and I do not care for the insinuation.

Not every Christian (or every non-Christian) who supports the war is bloodthirsty, but PLENTY ARE. If you doubt this, go to freerepublic.com and look at what some of those folks have to say about things. Most of them claim to be Christians, and if all Christians were like them, the world's opinion of Christians would be correct, as that is probably the most evil site I have seen on the internet.

Right here, actually

I think the current situation with the Iraq elections where terrorists are threatening to kill anyone who even votes is proof enough that we are doing the right thing. What other country do you know that dispatches death threats to voters?

We had that happening in this country as recently as the early 1960s. Did the Russians have the right to invade us?

I am not sure why you are so angry about all this. I wasn't trying to attack you. I am sorry if you feel that way. I can however defend my own personal views and opinions. I believe George Bush is a Christian who loves the Lord. I do not worship him by any means. You act as though he is getting ready to send out nazi soldiers to get us. I would never compare him to Bin laden or Hitler. I find that rediculous.

God has everything in his controll. That doesn't mean he fixes the elections, and that wasn't what I meant. I vote because I have the freedom to do so. I vote for the Canidate who's policies I agree with most. I personally think the way this country is going, eventually there won't be anyone worth while to vote for. But I will still continue to vote.

I am not claiming that invading Iraq is going to give me more freedom. I hope it will however, give thousands of others freedom. I also never claimed that I was happy we were there. I am praying that something good comes of all this but, don't think I don't notice the casualty reports everyday on TV.

I have never checked out the websight you mentioned, and from the sound of it, I don't intend to. And as for all the people who claim to be Christians who are at that sight, God judges their hearts not us. Lauren

I'm not angry because I thought you were attacking me. I'm angry because the lives of up to 100,000 Iraqis have been cut short by our country's illegal invasion.